Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows Backup Utility-question

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
September 12, 2005 3:29:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Howdy All,

I just wanted to get some input on the viability of the integrated backup
utility in Windows XP.

Is it a workable solutions for a small business with 10-15 desktops to
backup to a file server?
What is a restoration like?
Other (potentially better?) options.

Thanks,
Brian
September 12, 2005 4:01:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Brian wrote:
> I just wanted to get some input on the viability of the integrated backup
> utility in Windows XP.

I use it daily (standalone PCs).


> What is a restoration like?

Locate backup file, restore what you need. Pretty simple, IMO. You need
to understand the various types of backups (full, incremental, diff.)
when you set up and restore.
September 12, 2005 7:11:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks Z.
"Z" <Z@no.spam> wrote in message news:mgkVe.37316$1g2.28197@fe05.lga...
> Brian wrote:
>> I just wanted to get some input on the viability of the integrated backup
>> utility in Windows XP.
>
> I use it daily (standalone PCs).
>
>
>> What is a restoration like?
>
> Locate backup file, restore what you need. Pretty simple, IMO. You need to
> understand the various types of backups (full, incremental, diff.) when
> you set up and restore.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 8:34:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <eb3T4c7tFHA.360@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, treddderx@yahoo.com
says...
> Howdy All,
>
> I just wanted to get some input on the viability of the integrated backup
> utility in Windows XP.
>
> Is it a workable solutions for a small business with 10-15 desktops to
> backup to a file server?
> What is a restoration like?
> Other (potentially better?) options.

Windows XP does not "backup a server", Windows 2000 Server, 2003 Server,
and Small Business Server 2000/2003 have their own backup solution. If
you have a server you run the backup software ON THE SERVER.

Backups are not painless to restore - they can be a PITA, but, they
often are your only means to recover your data/system.

There are third-party tools (Backup Exec, Tapeware, etc...) that offer
more features, but they all work the same.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
September 12, 2005 8:34:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks Leythos,

What I meant was that I would be using a file server as a backup location
and running the Windows XP backup software on the individual desktops.

Are you saying that I can run backup software on our file server that would
backup each desktop?

Thanks.

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
news:MPG.1d8f7811f4d591c198a006@news-server.columbus.rr.com...
> In article <eb3T4c7tFHA.360@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, treddderx@yahoo.com
> says...
>> Howdy All,
>>
>> I just wanted to get some input on the viability of the integrated backup
>> utility in Windows XP.
>>
>> Is it a workable solutions for a small business with 10-15 desktops to
>> backup to a file server?
>> What is a restoration like?
>> Other (potentially better?) options.
>
> Windows XP does not "backup a server", Windows 2000 Server, 2003 Server,
> and Small Business Server 2000/2003 have their own backup solution. If
> you have a server you run the backup software ON THE SERVER.
>
> Backups are not painless to restore - they can be a PITA, but, they
> often are your only means to recover your data/system.
>
> There are third-party tools (Backup Exec, Tapeware, etc...) that offer
> more features, but they all work the same.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 9:01:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <eUljLk7tFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, treddderx@yahoo.com
says...
> Thanks Leythos,
>
> What I meant was that I would be using a file server as a backup location
> and running the Windows XP backup software on the individual desktops.
>
> Are you saying that I can run backup software on our file server that would
> backup each desktop?

No, that's not what I'm saying.

With these additional details you might want to consider changing to a
domain based server/network or with something where you change
everyone's My Documents and other folders so that they point to the file
server - then you tell everyone to only store files on the file server.

There is little reason to keep files on the local workstation if you
have a file server.

What are you running for your file server?


--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
September 12, 2005 9:01:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Leythos wrote:

> In article <eUljLk7tFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, treddderx@yahoo.com
> says...
>> Thanks Leythos,
>>
>> What I meant was that I would be using a file server as a backup
>> location and running the Windows XP backup software on the individual
>> desktops.
>>
>> Are you saying that I can run backup software on our file server that
>> would backup each desktop?
>
> No, that's not what I'm saying.
>
> With these additional details you might want to consider changing to a
> domain based server/network or with something where you change
> everyone's My Documents and other folders so that they point to the
> file server - then you tell everyone to only store files on the file
> server.
>
> There is little reason to keep files on the local workstation if you
> have a file server.
>
> What are you running for your file server?
>
>
What would work really well for the OP is SecondCopy by Centered Systems
(www.centered.com). I use it for a lot of my clients with exactly the
same set up as the OP. Run SecondCopy on the server and have it back up
whatever you want. Of course, nothing should be saved locally on the
workstations anyway. The OP should have user folders on the "server"
and just back up those folders with SecondCopy.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
September 12, 2005 9:01:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for the input everyone.

My 'file server' is simply a WinXP box with a RAID5.
I'm not sure how to set up a domain based server/network as resource (read:
money) are limited here.


"Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
news:%23e5HsK8tFHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Leythos wrote:
>
>> In article <eUljLk7tFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, treddderx@yahoo.com
>> says...
>>> Thanks Leythos,
>>>
>>> What I meant was that I would be using a file server as a backup
>>> location and running the Windows XP backup software on the individual
>>> desktops.
>>>
>>> Are you saying that I can run backup software on our file server that
>>> would backup each desktop?
>>
>> No, that's not what I'm saying.
>>
>> With these additional details you might want to consider changing to a
>> domain based server/network or with something where you change
>> everyone's My Documents and other folders so that they point to the
>> file server - then you tell everyone to only store files on the file
>> server.
>>
>> There is little reason to keep files on the local workstation if you
>> have a file server.
>>
>> What are you running for your file server?
>>
>>
> What would work really well for the OP is SecondCopy by Centered Systems
> (www.centered.com). I use it for a lot of my clients with exactly the
> same set up as the OP. Run SecondCopy on the server and have it back up
> whatever you want. Of course, nothing should be saved locally on the
> workstations anyway. The OP should have user folders on the "server"
> and just back up those folders with SecondCopy.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
September 12, 2005 9:01:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Brian wrote:

> Thanks for the input everyone.
>
> My 'file server' is simply a WinXP box with a RAID5.
> I'm not sure how to set up a domain based server/network as resource
> (read: money) are limited here.
>

That's fine, Brian. The only difficulty I see in your setup is that with
so many workstations you may run into the incoming connections limit of
a non-server operating system. However, if you've been using this setup
for a long time without problems, maybe you'll be OK. FYI, here are the
incoming connections limits (not *computers* mind you - one computer
can make more than one connection to another computer):

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314882 - Inbound connections limit in
XP

concurrent connections:

10 for XP Pro/Tablet/MCE
5 for XP Home
49 for SBS 2000
74 for SBS 2003
Unlimited for full Server O/Ses

You should consider making each user their own folder on the "server".
Then change the default Save location for programs to that folder. You
can do this with MS Office programs; you'll need to look at any
third-party software you use and see if that option is available to
you. If it isn't, you will have to train your staff to use Save As. You
can make shortcuts to each user's "server" folder on their Desktops.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
!