Need info: 8300 "delivered" bios settings...

I had a modem go out on me about a month ago. During the troubleshooting
process,
with one of the "tech" people on the phone, I was directed to do a few
keystrokes which
reset my system's bios settings. Needless to say, I still am not quite
sure why this was
a needed step....

Anyway, I noticed last night that when I brought up task manager, only one
cpu history
window was displayed, instead of the two. After rebooting my machine and
entering the
bios settings, I found out that hyperthreading was turned off. I
immediately turned it back
on and saved the setting. Found out then my machine was running back to
it's normal
speed...

However, this is making me wonder if there were any other settings that
might have been
affected as well. Not sure if something was altered for memory settings
(believe I have
the PC3200 memory in my machine), as well as for any other item. Reason I
say this is
that I've been experiencing random blue screens at times, during initial
logging in process.

I did go back in last night and reseated the cards (wish that screws were
used in holding
them down), pushed gently on the ribbon cables for hard drive access, and
made sure that
the power cables were not hanging on anything when closing the case.

I'd appreciate any inputs...

thanks,
bob

<Bob_Myers@raytheon.com> wrote in message
>I had a modem go out on me about a month ago. During the troubleshooting
> process,
> with one of the "tech" people on the phone, I was directed to do a few
> keystrokes which
> reset my system's bios settings. Needless to say, I still am not quite
> sure why this was
> a needed step....
>
> Anyway, I noticed last night that when I brought up task manager, only one
> cpu history
> window was displayed, instead of the two. After rebooting my machine and
> entering the
> bios settings, I found out that hyperthreading was turned off. I
> immediately turned it back
> on and saved the setting. Found out then my machine was running back to
> it's normal
> speed...
>
> However, this is making me wonder if there were any other settings that
> might have been
> affected as well. Not sure if something was altered for memory settings
> (believe I have
> the PC3200 memory in my machine), as well as for any other item. Reason I
> say this is
> that I've been experiencing random blue screens at times, during initial
> logging in process.
>
> I did go back in last night and reseated the cards (wish that screws were
> used in holding
> them down), pushed gently on the ribbon cables for hard drive access, and
> made sure that
> the power cables were not hanging on anything when closing the case.
>
> I'd appreciate any inputs...
>
> thanks,
> bob

As a guess, Bob, they probably cleared the NVRAM of the machine
(caps/scroll/num lock, then ALT+E), and also defaulted the BIOS settings
(ALT+F). The latter would've disabled/turned off hyperthreading in your
BIOS.

Your memory speeds will not be affected by this, as they are in fact locked
and not adjustable within BIOS.

hth

Stew