Sign in with
Your question

Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown (windows 64 bit.

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
November 25, 2012 2:50:32 AM

Hi all,
My relatively new computer (bought last year) has been having recent problems for about two weeks with unexpected shutdowns. Sometimes the computer will reboot spontaneously without an error message, and other times it bluescreens. I have attached a copy of the error message as well as put the dump files onto my skydrive and put a link to them here. I hope someone can help me, because I am nearly at my wits' end.
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA800CAAC028
BCP3: 00000000B2000000
BCP4: 0000000000030005
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\112412-35864-01.dmp
C:\Users\Jared\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-50606-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Link to dump file:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=6C63A95937814B1!187&authkey=!AJehFxndiZD12XQ

Edit: Someone on another post linked to the WhoCrashed program, I downloaded it and ran that. this is the message it spit out:

On Sun 11/25/2012 4:32:21 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0x1E3)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800CAAC028, 0xB2000000, 0x30005)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

What does this mean, and what can I do to fix the problem?

Jared

November 25, 2012 3:18:34 AM

What would you recommend for me about temperatures? I don't know how to check that information on my computer. I know there are programs that can help you monitor the temperature of internal components, but I wouldn't know where to find some.

I also checked the link you gave me. It's still very cryptic, but it sounds like I could have bad hardware on the computer. I have a powerful GPU (AMD Raedon HD 6600 series card) and I wonder if it's getting too hot and causing crashes?

Jared
m
l
Related resources
November 25, 2012 3:31:38 AM

HWMonitor installed. I have a multi-core processor and the program looks like it is displaying an unusually high temperature for core #1 (out of cores 0-5). I have a computer optimized for gaming and it is possible my cpu AND gpu are overclocked for gaming purposes.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 25, 2012 3:35:17 AM

check on the cpu maker for the safe temp that it could handle but you could write the temp you read and ther cpu name and model
m
l
November 25, 2012 3:40:34 AM

The program says I have an Intel Core I7-990X extreme processor with six cores.

The CPU is maintaining a steady temperature at 104 F. The cores vary between a minimum of 98 F to oh boy, 131 F. It looks like one or two of the cores in this processor are overheating.
m
l
November 25, 2012 3:42:00 AM

I used to run Folding@Home on this computer which is processor-extensive, but I don't anymore. Could it have damaged the processor enough to cause it to be overheating constantly?

Oh, and I haven't opened this machine at all since i got it. Probably lots of dust inside methinks? If I get a can of compressed air and blow all the dust to smithereens my problem might be fixed?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 25, 2012 3:47:48 AM

this is the specs of your cpu http://ark.intel.com/products/52585/Intel-Core-i7-990X-... check all the setting and voltages also does your fan on the cooler spin freely and there is no dust in it,you could also try try to repaste the cpu and cooler with a new one.di you overclock it ?
m
l
November 25, 2012 3:55:24 AM

I need to check that and I'll do it tomorrow. I don't know how to open the case for this computer, I'll check that tonight (DELL has manuals for the system available). and how do I check the voltages? HWMonitor says the voltages are a little high for the recommended range listed in the link you gave me. I don't think the cpu is overclocked.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 25, 2012 3:57:39 AM

JaredKFan said:
Hi all,
My relatively new computer (bought last year) has been having recent problems for about two weeks with unexpected shutdowns. Sometimes the computer will reboot spontaneously without an error message, and other times it bluescreens. I have attached a copy of the error message as well as put the dump files onto my skydrive and put a link to them here. I hope someone can help me, because I am nearly at my wits' end.
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA800CAAC028
BCP3: 00000000B2000000
BCP4: 0000000000030005
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\112412-35864-01.dmp
C:\Users\Jared\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-50606-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Link to dump file:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=6C63A95937814B1!187&authkey=!AJehFxndiZD12XQ

Edit: Someone on another post linked to the WhoCrashed program, I downloaded it and ran that. this is the message it spit out:

On Sun 11/25/2012 4:32:21 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0x1E3)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800CAAC028, 0xB2000000, 0x30005)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

What does this mean, and what can I do to fix the problem?

Jared

well it looks like your CPU had a problem while running internet explorer.
if you were overclocking your CPU your Vcore voltage might be too low.

if you are not overclocking,
- I would check the BIOS setting for various speed throttle settings and try a fixed speed or go from fixed to throttled speed
- check the heat, maybe a fan has failed or is running slow because of dust
- check power supply one of the power lines may be putting out a low voltage

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 25, 2012 4:01:07 AM

if there are over the intel specs then it could the psu that is having something to do with this
m
l
November 25, 2012 4:07:58 AM

Yeah basically i need to open up the computer and do some digging. It does sound like it might be a fan problem because the hardware monitoring program shows OK temperatures in the 6 cores so far. Again, I haven't opened up the machine since I got it last year so good chance there is dust clogging the cpu and fans. I will ask my dad to check the power supply and see if there is something wrong with it. Hardware issues are out of my ability to fix, my dad is better at it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 25, 2012 7:15:42 PM

a good clean up of all the inside of the case will help ,all fan and cooler need to be dusted with a can of compressed air take good care not to unplug any wire on the board to avoid further troubleshoothing ( the cleaning will help specialy if you have pets around like cats and dogs )
m
l
November 26, 2012 2:22:10 AM

Problem seems to be solved. I turned off overclocking and also have made sure the machine has enough ventilation (the system was crammed up against a gap in between my bookshelf and computer desk, and that's not a good thing). Dad wanted the system in the gap, but the lack of ventilation likely contributed to my bluescreen errors. I have the system sitting out about a foot from the wall now.
m
l
November 27, 2012 8:43:44 AM

Issue has been solved. The multicore functionality on the cpu is damaged or malfunctioning. I turned off the multicore stuff in the BIOS so that it uses one core only and there have been no further crashes. I am talking to Dell on Twitter and we will see about getting the processor replaced. I saw a post on Dell's support forums that had a reply which stated turning off multicore may fix the crashing issues. Turns out that was all that was needed. Can you mark this "solved" please?
m
l
!