Compaq Presario 5296 CPU upgrade

defenestrator

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2004

Hello.

I've recently been given a Presario with a PIII 450 Mhz processor, and
have an old PIII 600 Mhz (600/512/100/2.05V) sitting in a box doing
nothing. So I'd like to pop it in the Presario and have things go a
bit faster. However, I'm lazy and don't want to go disassembling the
thing to put the 600 cpu in, only for it to not work and me swear
profusely at it.

Would the 600Mhz cpu work in it, or should I just leave it as it is?

==============

hh

Dunno about the 5296, but most North American model 5200s came with AMD K6/2
processors (Super Socket 7 CPUs), Not Intel PIIIs. One had a Celeron 433
and another (the 5270) had a PII 450. The 5285 (top of the NA line) had a
K6/2 450MHz. You might check the Compaq UK website for more info.
HH

"Defenestrator" <htfcforum@team-impaler.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:40f1a0e6$1_3@news.athenanews.com...
> Hello.
>
> I've recently been given a Presario with a PIII 450 Mhz processor, and
> have an old PIII 600 Mhz (600/512/100/2.05V) sitting in a box doing
> nothing. So I'd like to pop it in the Presario and have things go a
> bit faster. However, I'm lazy and don't want to go disassembling the
> thing to put the 600 cpu in, only for it to not work and me swear
> profusely at it.
>
> Would the 600Mhz cpu work in it, or should I just leave it as it is?

troubleshooting newsgroups.