Poll: Who would buy a repro-MM for $4000?

Sandro

Ok, I'm wondering if Mr. Pinball Australia will ever reproduce MM. I
thought an impromptu poll might provide Wayne with some motivation/idea
of actual interest.

So who would buy a MM for the price of a NIB TSPP (approx. $4000 US)?

I'd certainly pony up at that price, but I'd think twice (or thrice) at
$5000.

-Sandro

I would pay 4k If it was just like the original. Nothing more.

sandro wrote:
> Ok, I'm wondering if Mr. Pinball Australia will ever reproduce MM. I
> thought an impromptu poll might provide Wayne with some motivation/idea
> of actual interest.
>
> So who would buy a MM for the price of a NIB TSPP (approx. $4000 US)?
>
> I'd certainly pony up at that price, but I'd think twice (or thrice) at
> $5000.
>

> -Sandro
I would but not a penny more.

I would also pay market price of a NIB pin, $3800 to 4300. The game
is not on my current want list, but at the current prices, id pay for a
repo rather a beat an routed game

John
jdubbbs

Most people who want a MM have already ponied up, most operators are not
likely to buy an older re-run; it remains a questionable market. In
addition, Wayne has only mentioned redoing pfs not the whole game.

GRY

"Eric A." <eavedesian@comcast.net> wrote in message
> sandro wrote:
>> Ok, I'm wondering if Mr. Pinball Australia will ever reproduce MM. I
>> thought an impromptu poll might provide Wayne with some motivation/idea
>> of actual interest.
>>
>> So who would buy a MM for the price of a NIB TSPP (approx. $4000 US)?
>>
>> I'd certainly pony up at that price, but I'd think twice (or thrice) at
>> $5000.
>>

>> -Sandro
> I would but not a penny more.

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Why would I? I've already got one that's better than NIB. In all
seriousness, I think a lot of those that really want a MM already have
one. Besides, do you really want a reproed piece of American history
(made in Australia) in your home instead of the original?

One other thought--other threads have already addressed this and you
are very wishful thinking if you think the games will be under ~$5500.
Remember that Wayne said if he did reproed games they would be 'gold'
editions--thus he can add extra to the price. Think Elvis Gold prices
plus the ocean freight.

Not me.

On 10 Aug 2005 12:01:28 -0700, "sandro" <sandro.fouche@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Ok, I'm wondering if Mr. Pinball Australia will ever reproduce MM. I
>thought an impromptu poll might provide Wayne with some motivation/idea
>of actual interest.
>
>So who would buy a MM for the price of a NIB TSPP (approx. $4000 US)?
>
>I'd certainly pony up at that price, but I'd think twice (or thrice) at
>$5000.
>

> -Sandro

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

One other thought-- As far as reproed playfields go-- I am betting that
the cheapest they will be sold is ~$1200. (Assuming they ever get made)
And who knows what the quality will be like (anyone remember TAF
reproed pf's?) And if you get an imperfect pf after shelling out the
dough I can just imagine the responses from Aussieland...."Its just a
pinball pf, don't be so anal!" or "No one ever said the pf's would be
perfect, heck the originals were never perfect!"

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

sandro wrote:
> Ok, I'm wondering if Mr. Pinball Australia will ever reproduce MM. I
> thought an impromptu poll might provide Wayne with some motivation/idea
> of actual interest.
>
> So who would buy a MM for the price of a NIB TSPP (approx. $4000 US)?
>
> I'd certainly pony up at that price, but I'd think twice (or thrice) at
> $5000.
>

> -Sandro

I would certainly pay 4k for a repro MM cuz thats about what that games
worth IMHO. Now, thats as long as it wouldn't look like one of my
boy's daycare projects (not that I don't love my boys crafts)

The game was around $3700 8 years ago when it was made in a run of a little
over 3000 games. I doubt you could make a small run ( 200 ? ) for anywhere
near $4000. Get a line going, then figure costs and then you'll know how
much it would cost to re-run them. LTG :)

"sandro" <sandro.fouche@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I'm wondering if Mr. Pinball Australia will ever reproduce MM. I
> thought an impromptu poll might provide Wayne with some motivation/idea
> of actual interest.
>
> So who would buy a MM for the price of a NIB TSPP (approx. $4000 US)?
>
> I'd certainly pony up at that price, but I'd think twice (or thrice) at
> $5000.
>

> -Sandro

Sure I would. Too bad that it can't
happen. No room for the maker to make
any money doing so at that price.

Price of materials would prohibit that
sale price.

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
==============================
sandro wrote:

> So who would buy a MM for the price of a NIB TSPP (approx. $4000 US)?

I personally wouldn't buy an original NIB for that. It's just not that fun
of a game to me.

--
-Doug

"sandro" <sandro.fouche@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I'm wondering if Mr. Pinball Australia will ever reproduce MM. I
> thought an impromptu poll might provide Wayne with some motivation/idea
> of actual interest.
>
> So who would buy a MM for the price of a NIB TSPP (approx. $4000 US)?
>
> I'd certainly pony up at that price, but I'd think twice (or thrice) at
> $5000.
>

> -Sandro

> Ok, I'm wondering if Mr. Pinball Australia will ever reproduce MM. I
> thought an impromptu poll might provide Wayne with some motivation/idea
> of actual interest.
>
> So who would buy a MM for the price of a NIB TSPP (approx. $4000 US)?

Nope...already have an original. I wouldn't want an inferior foreign Xerox
copy of one anyways. :)

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

Never is a long time, but I'll go on the record and say that you will never
see a repro MM of the original standard for 4k.

I'll even go on the record that you won't see it for 5K

Kudos to Stern but there is a reason their machines have that Yugo
feel--cost.

I hope I am sooooo wrong, but I think the days of Williams/Bally Wpc
quality games for 4K went out with the last millenium.

Otto

CARGPB11

"sandro" <sandro.fouche@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I'm wondering if Mr. Pinball Australia will ever reproduce MM. I
> thought an impromptu poll might provide Wayne with some motivation/idea
> of actual interest.
>
> So who would buy a MM for the price of a NIB TSPP (approx. $4000 US)?
>
> I'd certainly pony up at that price, but I'd think twice (or thrice) at
> $5000.
>

> -Sandro

I wouldn't want the first one off his assembly line. I would wait to
hear some feedback from other buyers first. If he can even do it is
doubtful. I would wait until he established a reputation as a builder
of quality products first.

Mike

I want a repro YES,. who cares about original. I use pinball to PLAY
not to collect and stare at it

jdix

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

I would buy one for that price, but only if I could play one, and
tinker around with it first. I don't even think MM is that great, but
for that price it would be worth it to me, brand new.

Every person who owns an MM will say no to this post, and bag on any
repro MM threat imaginable. They don't want to hurt their "investment"

In article <1123721384.908154.327600@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, JDix says...

>I would buy one for that price, but only if I could play one, and
>tinker around with it first. I don't even think MM is that great, but
>for that price it would be worth it to me, brand new.
>
>Every person who owns an MM will say no to this post, and bag on any
>repro MM threat imaginable. They don't want to hurt their "investment"

Speaking as a NIB MM owner, I don't care at all if someone reproduced the game.
It would never have the same value as the original. No reproduction ever does.

-
Bruce Clark

your right that the reproductions arn't the same value. Usually the
repos go for double of the original. TAF gold averages about 7k
compared to the 3k for the original. MM gold limited to 1000 would
probably do the same. But it would hurt the price of the original.
Which is long overdue anyway. Might bring it back down to a realistic
figure.

BLASPHEMY! :O

--
Fred
TX

"Dukester" <duke1234@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1123713982.185890.13790@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I want a repro YES,. who cares about original. I use pinball to PLAY
> not to collect and stare at it

One example doesn't mean they all would be worth more. And TAFG is not a
repro. LTG :)

"Nwojedi" <nwojedi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> your right that the reproductions arn't the same value. Usually the
> repos go for double of the original. TAF gold averages about 7k
> compared to the 3k for the original. MM gold limited to 1000 would
> probably do the same. But it would hurt the price of the original.
> Which is long overdue anyway. Might bring it back down to a realistic
> figure.

Sandro

Uh, the inflationary effect of 40 years is a bit different than the
same effect over the last eight.

Assuming a MSRP of $5000 on a 1965 Corvette in 2005 dollars that's:
approx. $30,500
Assuming a MSRP of $3750 on a 1997 MM in 2005 dollars that's: approx
$4,500

Which confirms my suspicion that I wouldn't pay a premium for a MM even
knowing it's current popularity. $4,500 may not be possible, but it's
about the value of the game NIB in my mind.

-Sandro

Sandro

I think the value of a reproduction depends on the nature of the item.

In the fine art world reproductions are not valuable because of the
individual nature of a painting, and the required participation of the
artist in the original.

In fine art photography, the 500th photo can be worth the same as the
1st if the photographer maintains creative control of the process.

Reproduction versions of utilitarian artifacts come closer to (or
surpass) the value of originals based on their functionality. Look at
beach cruiser bicycles, the current (higher-tech) reproductions go for
$800+, while vintage versions in great condition go for less than $100
regularly.

I think pinball falls on the spectrum between photos and bicycles, but
in my opinion they are much closer to utilitarian than pure works of
fine art. I certainly don't think they should be kept in climate
controlled, nitrogen-filled vaults.