CD Problem

September 12, 2005 5:45:35 PM

Running WinXP Home sp2. Have a Lite-on cd/dvd writer that has worked
perfectly for the last year. All of a sudden, Every time I try to access a
CD, from any pgm, the green light comes on and then it says "No Disk in
Drive". I've tried all kind of CDs, CDRs and CDRWs. This happens with
Nero6, Winamp, Explorer and even DOS. It still reads DVDs just fine, just
not CDs. Anyone know what could be going on???? Frank

More about : problem

September 12, 2005 5:56:17 PM

Frank wrote:
> Running WinXP Home sp2. Have a Lite-on cd/dvd writer that has worked
> perfectly for the last year. All of a sudden, Every time I try to
> access a CD, from any pgm, the green light comes on and then it says
> "No Disk in Drive". I've tried all kind of CDs, CDRs and CDRWs. This
> happens with Nero6, Winamp, Explorer and even DOS. It still reads
> DVDs just fine, just not CDs. Anyone know what could be going on????
> Frank

This might be your problem
http://www.kensington.com/html/1091.html

--
Mike Pawlak
Anonymous

Most (if not all) DVD drives uses two lasers to read the different discs.
One is for CDs and the other is for DVDs. It appears that on your drive,
the CD laser may not be working correctly and this is why you are
experiemcimg CD disc read problems. Unfortuneately, the does not seem to be
an aoffordable repair that can be done, since most DVD writers now cost
between $50 to $100.00 each. I would just buy a replacement. And NO,
replacing the DVD writer should not trigger a Product Activation request.

"Frank" <fjmet@amisp.net> wrote in message
> Running WinXP Home sp2. Have a Lite-on cd/dvd writer that has worked
> perfectly for the last year. All of a sudden, Every time I try to access a
> CD, from any pgm, the green light comes on and then it says "No Disk in
> Drive". I've tried all kind of CDs, CDRs and CDRWs. This happens with
> Nero6, Winamp, Explorer and even DOS. It still reads DVDs just fine, just
> not CDs. Anyone know what could be going on???? Frank

September 12, 2005 7:46:57 PM

Have you used a CD/DVD cleaner yet?
If the read head had lint/dirt on it, it won't read.
The DVD uses a different read head.

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"Frank" <fjmet@amisp.net> wrote in message
> Running WinXP Home sp2. Have a Lite-on cd/dvd writer that has worked
> perfectly for the last year. All of a sudden, Every time I try to access a
> CD, from any pgm, the green light comes on and then it says "No Disk in
> Drive". I've tried all kind of CDs, CDRs and CDRWs. This happens with
> Nero6, Winamp, Explorer and even DOS. It still reads DVDs just fine, just
> not CDs. Anyone know what could be going on???? Frank

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 8:05:19 PM

Hi Frank,
In addition to what others have already said; do you use a virtual CD
program? If you do, try disabling it, right click My Computer\Manage\Device
Manager\DVD/CD-ROM drives\ right click on the virtual drive and disable it.
You can enable it again when you want to use it.
EAG1945

"Frank" <fjmet@amisp.net> wrote in message
> Running WinXP Home sp2. Have a Lite-on cd/dvd writer that has worked
> perfectly for the last year. All of a sudden, Every time I try to access a
> CD, from any pgm, the green light comes on and then it says "No Disk in
> Drive". I've tried all kind of CDs, CDRs and CDRWs. This happens with
> Nero6, Winamp, Explorer and even DOS. It still reads DVDs just fine, just
> not CDs. Anyone know what could be going on???? Frank

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:17:19 PM

Sounds like a faulty drive

"Frank" <fjmet@amisp.net> wrote in message
> Running WinXP Home sp2. Have a Lite-on cd/dvd writer that has worked
> perfectly for the last year. All of a sudden, Every time I try to access a
> CD, from any pgm, the green light comes on and then it says "No Disk in
> Drive". I've tried all kind of CDs, CDRs and CDRWs. This happens with
> Nero6, Winamp, Explorer and even DOS. It still reads DVDs just fine, just
> not CDs. Anyone know what could be going on???? Frank

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:48:27 AM

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:45:35 -0400 in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Frank favored us with...
> Running WinXP Home sp2. Have a Lite-on cd/dvd writer that has worked
> perfectly for the last year. All of a sudden, Every time I try to access a
> CD, from any pgm, the green light comes on and then it says "No Disk in
> Drive". I've tried all kind of CDs, CDRs and CDRWs. This happens with
> Nero6, Winamp, Explorer and even DOS. It still reads DVDs just fine, just
> not CDs. Anyone know what could be going on???? Frank

Sounds like the CD laser within the unit is going bad. (AFAIK, CD/DVD
drives always have one laser for CD and one for DVD.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."
!