It's new computer time soon...

Long time no post for me. Glad to be back

I'm pondering a new computer, or at least a major upgrade of parts this year. I'm seriously leaning towards an Intel chip, but trying to figure out what would be best for me.

I'm looking at maybe $600-800 at most to spend. I don't need a new Video card, I'll just keep my Radeon 8500 for the moment (I don't do enough 3D to need too much more at the moment). I definately need a new HD, want at least 512MB of ram, probably 1GB if it's reasonably priced. Either a new sound card or use the onboard audio to save some money. Not sure if I want a DVD Burner, I may hold off on that.

CPU: Should I hold off for a few months for the next Intel chip and some refining on the Athlon 64? Should I look for a Prescott chip, or are the old Northwood cores still viable? I don't intend on overclocking, though having the posibility wouldn't upset me.

HD: Should I look for SATA or stick with IDE?

MB: How is the IC7-Max3 from Abit? Any others I should look at?

Mem: Anyone know a good price on a good brand? 2 256 moduals of 2 512 moduals?

Soundcard: Any particular one I should look into? Or is onboard not a big deal if I don't mind the slight performance hit?

DVD Burner: Should I bother? I probably at least want a newer CD Burner (My current one is 24x10x40) and a 16X DVD player (I think my current one is a 4x, it was free though)

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

If ignorance is bliss, then why is everyone so miserable?
14 answers Last reply
More about computer time soon
  1. Quote:

CPU: Should I hold off for a few months for the next Intel chip and some refining on the Athlon 64? Should I look for a Prescott chip, or are the old Northwood cores still viable? I don't intend on overclocking, though having the posibility wouldn't upset me.

Have you been reading to much THG ?
    Prescott runs hot, VERY hot, you dont want that thing in your PC.
    And besides, it runs slower then good old northwood and surtenly slower then A64.
    Did i mention A64 runs much cooler then Prescott ? in idle the cpu blower can be turned off, so you have a passive cooled cpu.

And what are you gonna do when Windows XP64 comes out ?
    Prescott cant handle it, and the performence gains by Windows 64 bit are very promising ! (30% by Far Cry)

By this we can surely say : Only an Idiot would buy a P4 !

Toms Hardware Site is a joke !
  2. The only real benefit from S-ata right now is the cable. But i look at it in the way that there isn't a limit in bandwidth so if it somehow has the possibility of going higher than there is nothing limiting it, although there isn't a drive out right now that utilizes S-ata higher transfer speeds.
    Although i know most S-ata hd's have 8mb caches now and are only 5 dollars more.

I'd say you can either go real cheap right now , enough to hold out for a year and a half. Or just wait it out 4-6 months. Prescott's aren't looking good and Microsoft hates AMD. I wouldn't want a A64 till new motherboard's come out for awhile, buying first batch cpu's scare me.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=275920760" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=275920760</A>
    Figured i'd do it too..reality my ass.
  3. The CPU guide is not bad.

and don't listen to Coop or Kanavit or SOD and, um, some other people. Prolly figured that out yourself though.

A long long time ago, but I can still remember, how that music used to make me smile... <A HREF="http://www.nexus.hu/zonix/DIGGER.MID" target="_new"><b><font color=blue>Digger rulz</font color=blue></b></A>
  4. Wait until you actually need the upgrade, or upgrade now. The new board technology won't be completely introduced for at least another 6 months.

Athlon 64 boards are still imature.

IC7-Max3 is overpriced, for P4 buyers I always recommend the IS7.

Right now I'd go with an Athlon XP2500+ and overclock it to 3200+, simply because it's a great value.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  5. Well I guess if Crashman can recommend Amd, I can do the same for Intel. The IS7 is the best mobo, and any of the P4c chips are good. Right now the best price/perf in intel is the P4c 2.8. Higher speeds have the newtech price hit.
  6. The 2500+ is one of the best CPUs ever, IMO. I just ordered mine. :) Along the lines of one of the celeron models which I forget allready or the 1700

A long long time ago, but I can still remember, how that music used to make me smile... <A HREF="http://www.nexus.hu/zonix/DIGGER.MID" target="_new"><b><font color=blue>Digger rulz</font color=blue></b></A>
  7. Hey I remember you!

Man you have been away for a while!

--
    <A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:
  8. I found an IC7-Max3 for $110 shipped, that was why I was looking at it. I'll look into the IS7.

New board tech in 6 months, as well as second gen processor runs make is sound like I should hold off for a bit.

What do you recomend on the other stuff? I don't expect the HD or Sound Card to be reinvented in 6 months.

9. Quote:
    Hey I remember you!

Man you have been away for a while!

Yeah, I can't get to the forums from work anymore (Not blocked, but takes 10 minutes to come up, I timed it). I was actualy impressed with the speed of this site today.

10. Quote:
    And what are you gonna do when Windows XP64 comes out ?
    Prescott cant handle it, and the performence gains by Windows 64 bit are very promising ! (30% by Far Cry)

Got proof? What 64 bit apps am I going to need in the next few years? I don't think I'll need more than 1 GB of ram, let alone more than 4. And why shell out the money for a new OS when I have all the licences I need for all the other windows versions I have?

I don't trust the first run of the AMD CPUs yet.

BTW, I'm not an AMD Basher, I have an Athlon XP 1600+, and have been quite happy with it. It's just time for a complete system rebuild/reinstall, and I figure I should just start with a fresh new machine, and it's been a few years since I upgraded, so it fits right in my schedual.

11. I'm using onboard sound with the IS7. You want to upgrade now buy 2.8C IS7 Mobo.
  12. The thing is, this is a VERY bad time to invest in the NEWEST technology, because platforms will be replaced entirely next year. AGP and PCI will give way to PCI-Express, DDR will give way to DDRII, and new sockets will be introduced. I don't expect it to be completely settled down until around January of next year, but the tech will all be introduced before then.

So if you need a system right now, build for now. You can always sell your system a bit earlier than planed if you really need one now, but want the newer tech later.

Right now the best value is the XP2500+ on the Abit NF7-S with some high quality PC3200 (or standard quality PC3500) overclocked to 3200+ speed. The second best value would be the P4 2.8C and Abit IS7 with the same memory requirement. A 2.8C at around 3.4GHz would be a much better performer than a 2500+ at 3200+ speed, but would also cost more, and to do it right you'd want PC4000 or better RAM!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  13. I don't need cutting edge, I just want something better.

Who knows. It all depends on if I can pull my finances togeather for it as well.

14. You could just replace that 1600+ with something newer.( to tide you over till Prescott 64) If the current mobo only supports 266 fsb, the 2400+ would still be a good upgrade for < $100.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computer