Weird Msg. - FDC Failure

OK...went to use my aging Dim 4100 after my son had been visiting. Went
online (dialup). I. Explorer froze and I tried restart, but then rundll32
wouldn't end task and I ended up having to hit the Reset button. Left the
room and came back a minute later and here's the screen, black with white
DOS-style text. I didn't read everything on it, but what caught my eye was
a msg. "FDC Failure" and to press either "Delete" or F1 to reboot, which
then took me to a new black screen instructing me to insert a boot disk
into A:. Instead, I hit the reset button again and it booted just fine.
I googled and discovered the msg means Floppy Drive Controller Failure,
which CAN mean your motherboard might be in bad shape (great...just
great).

OK...here's my long shot. My son brought over a disk - DVD - he'd burned
himself to show his father, some fight movies he'd downloaded. However
they wouldn't play as they required RealPlayer, which I don't have on this
computer. Apparently he did get audio with one thing, and I don't know
which program he used to listen to this. He went home and that home-made
DVD got left in the DVD-ROM drive, unbeknownst to me and therefore, was in
the drive when I.Explorer froze and then rundll32 got uncooperative, etc.
and for the Reset bootup. After I got the FDC Failure msg. and then went
to the screen where it wanted me to put a boot disk or whatever, into the
A: drive, before I hit reset again, I checked to see if that disk might
still be in the DVD drive and the drive opened fine and I removed it. THEN
I hit reset again and got the normal bootup.

So, Could something about this home burned disk have affected the re-boot
procedure somehow and caused this FDC Failure msg. My A Drive is still
working cuz I have updated my Norton Rescue disks since, jsut to make sure
and it went smooth as silk. Comments appreciated (as Marilyn prays to the
motherboard god not to let the motherboard be dying).

Thanks all - Marilyn B.

Marilyn,

My first guess about what went wrong is that the FDC error is simply a
coincidence. Given the age of the computer, I'll also guess that the 3v C2032
lithium battery has never been replaced.

Let me suggest replacing the battery, clearing the CMOS settings in the
motherboard BIOS setup, and then seeing what happens. A battery is a couple of
bucks and worth a try... Ben Myers