Sign in with
Your question

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and Shuttle SN85G4 Problem

Last response: in CPUs
February 23, 2004 1:29:47 AM

(Sorry, wasn't sure if this is a Mobo or Proc issue, so I posted here)
Problem description:

Pressing power will turn the machine on briefly, but it shuts everything down after about 1 second. Pressing the power button again yields the same result. Removing everything besides the CPU has the same result (I would expect a ?gNo VGA?h or ?gNo Memory?h bios error code). If I remove the processor as well, I can power on, but no error code (I would expect the BIOS to beep with a no/bad CPU error, but nothing). So the problem could be with either the motherboard or the processor.

I have also tried with JUST the Processor Heat Sink Fan (actually a Shuttle proprietary solution call ICE Heat Pipe) installed and plugged in. Same thing, the machine powers on but no beep codes. This really only happens when the processor is inserted into the socket.

Anyone have any ideas what this might be (i.e. bad processor, bad motherboard, bad psu, something else) and what I could try next to narrow it down before sending parts back. I will try tonight (I am in Japan so in 8 or 9 hours) to clear the CMOS and see if that makes a difference. I am also trying to get someone at work to check the CPU in one of their rigs, but that might take a few days.

Hardware:
Motherboard (bare bone) Shuttle SN85G4 (Athlon 64 based Bare Bone PC case/mobo/power supply combo). Motherboard is Shuttle FN85
Athlon 64 3200
Samsung PC3200 DDR 512MB x 2
Maxtor 6Y160P0 160GB ATA133 HDD
ASUS GeForce FX 5200 8x ATA video.

Thanks,
Aaron
February 23, 2004 3:52:49 AM

I have just checked that the processor is fine on another machine, so the problem must lie with the motherboard. If anyone can think of things to check/do before sending the whole thing back, let me know.

I plan to clear the CMOS and try again, as well as verify all power connections (i.e. the special processor socket one, etc), and check to make sure nothing has slid underneath (or around) the processor socket.

Also, if a mod happens upon this, since the problem is no longer with the processor, you may want to move this post to the motherboard forum.

Thanks,
Aaron
February 23, 2004 7:03:00 AM

Does it have onboard video ? If not, try another AGP card (or even better, if you have one laying around, an old PCI card).

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
February 23, 2004 7:05:44 AM

The power supply will shut down if it detects a short. Find the short.
!