SET Variable = Myproject

How do I use (syntax/other) the SET name=othername in a batch file, on XP,
to set an environment variable?
So far... I've had no luck.

More about variable myproject

    Joseph wrote:
    > How do I use (syntax/other) the SET name=othername in a batch file, on XP,
    > to set an environment variable?
    > So far... I've had no luck.

    Using the old style control panel
    Control Panel -> System -> Advanced tab -> Environment Variables

    Thanks Carl,

    I do not want the SET to be permanent. I know I can also hand key the new
    'SET's from a CMD window, which is very time consuming.

    I was looking for a way to 'automate' the job in a batch file (or similar)
    so that when I'm done I can undo the SET's.

    I've tried most nearly all of the obvious ways I know of, and still no luck.

    Joseph wrote:
    > How do I use (syntax/other) the SET name=othername in a batch file, on XP,
    > to set an environment variable?
    > So far... I've had no luck.

    The syntax is as you say:

    set variable=value

    If you put the following in a batch file, the output to the screen
    should be X after running the batch:

    @set x=X
    @echo %X%

    If that is not what you are attempting, post a specific example of what
    you are trying to do that is failing.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    Joseph wrote:
    > I was looking for a way to 'automate' the job in a batch file (or similar)
    > so that when I'm done I can undo the SET's.

    See $ help setlocal and
    $ help endlocal

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:13:57 -0400 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Joseph favored us with...
    > How do I use (syntax/other) the SET name=othername in a batch file, on XP,
    > to set an environment variable?
    > So far... I've had no luck.

    What does this mean, "no luck"? What are you trying to do, and what
    message did you get?

    SET name=text works just fine, but it will not survive a reboot. For
    that you need to go into System Properties (press Windows+Break
    keys), Advanced tab, Environmental Variables button.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
    "I was misinformed."

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:37:55 -0400 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Joseph favored us with...
    > I do not want the SET to be permanent. I know I can also hand key the new
    > 'SET's from a CMD window, which is very time consuming.
    >
    > I was looking for a way to 'automate' the job in a batch file (or similar)
    > so that when I'm done I can undo the SET's.

    See the setlocal command.

    Or, create a second batch file with
    set A=
    set NAME=
    and so forth -- that is, "set" commands with nothing after the = sign
    will delete those environment variables.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
    "I was misinformed."

    As standard (ie a programmer doesn't override the default), environments are copied then passed from the parent program to a child program. Explorer starts most programs in Windows.

    So (assuming cmd),

    Set a=dog
    notepad

    will start notepad with a variable named a available. If notepad should change this a variable then only notepad's environment is changed, not the calling cmd's.

    So start cmd, set your variables (they disappear when you exit cmd), then start any programs from that cmd instance.

    To run a batch and leave a command window open use

    cmd /k batfile.bat
    "Joseph" <joseph.d.hudak@usace.army.mil> wrote in message news:%23r1Sck8tFHA.1168@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks Carl,
    >
    > I do not want the SET to be permanent. I know I can also hand key the new
    > 'SET's from a CMD window, which is very time consuming.
    >
    > I was looking for a way to 'automate' the job in a batch file (or similar)
    > so that when I'm done I can undo the SET's.
    >
    > I've tried most nearly all of the obvious ways I know of, and still no luck.

    > "Carl Kaufmann" <ckaufmann@dksa.com> wrote in message
    >> Joseph wrote:
    >> > How do I use (syntax/other) the SET name=othername in a batch file, on
    > XP,
    >> > to set an environment variable?
    >> > So far... I've had no luck.

    >> Using the old style control panel
    >> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced tab -> Environment Variables

    I want to thank each of you for the information.

    As I try, I discover that I can make the temporary enviroment variables,
    example: SET DUM=dummy work from a batch file, say dum.bat, but ONLY if I
    run the dum.bat file from within a CMD window. Then when the program
    finishes I can undo the SET's from the same CMD window. This requires I also
    run the program from the CMD window as well.

    I was trying to run the batch file from 'explorer' (click on it), which did
    not effect the environment changes set within the .bat file. I don't know
    why.

    The same file run from a CMD window, however, did make the changes.

    I do not want to set the variables permanently.

    Again thanks, I do have my workaround now.

    Joe

    "Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:13:57 -0400 in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Joseph favored us with...
    > > How do I use (syntax/other) the SET name=othername in a batch file, on
    XP,
    > > to set an environment variable?
    > > So far... I've had no luck.
    >
    > What does this mean, "no luck"? What are you trying to do, and what
    > message did you get?
    >
    > SET name=text works just fine, but it will not survive a reboot. For
    > that you need to go into System Properties (press Windows+Break
    > keys), Advanced tab, Environmental Variables button.

    > http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    > "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    > "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    > "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
    > "I was misinformed."

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:13:57 -0400, "Joseph"
    <joseph.d.hudak@usace.army.mil> wrote:

    >How do I use (syntax/other) the SET name=othername in a batch file, on XP,
    >to set an environment variable?
    >So far... I've had no luck.

    Below is the group where a lot batch discussion resides. The
    environmental variable should persist as long as the batch file
    that sets it is still running. I think when the batch closes, the
    variable is also gone.

    alt.msdos.batch.nt

Microsoft Windows XP