Mpact Video Drivers For Windows 2000

I have a Gateway2000 (G6-266) computer.

My main-board has already has an onboard video-card by Chromatic (Mpact II).
I want to install windows 2000 but I cannot find any drivers to support it.
The drivers included on the CD with my computer only have drivers for
win95/98 and NT. I went to drivers.com and found one person who says he has
them but I asked him to help and got no response.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Does anyone know if I have the
option of using a separate video card with this machine?

thanks

There are no mPact2 drivers for anything other than 95 and 98 (and even 98SE
doesn't work properly with the drivers that exist).
Yes, you can use a separate video card - as I recall, that board has no AGP
slot, so it must use a PCI video card.

"KnockoffMan" <KnockoffMan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a Gateway2000 (G6-266) computer.
>

> My main-board has already has an onboard video-card by Chromatic (Mpact
II).
> I want to install windows 2000 but I cannot find any drivers to support
it.
> The drivers included on the CD with my computer only have drivers for
> win95/98 and NT. I went to drivers.com and found one person who says he
has
> them but I asked him to help and got no response.
>

> If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Does anyone know if I have the
> option of using a separate video card with this machine?
>
> thanks

Chromatic bit the dust before Windows 2000 made it to full release status. I
doubt that Chromatic drivers for Windows 2000 are available anywhere. Your best
bet is to install a PCI graphics card known to have Windows 2000 drivers. The
Matrox Millenium II is a safe and reliable choice. So is an ATI Rage PCI card.

I have a few Matrox Millenium II cards here. I can sell you one for a fair
price. Contact me outside this newsgroup if you want... Ben Myers

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 12:31:17 GMT, "KnockoffMan" <KnockoffMan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have a Gateway2000 (G6-266) computer.
>

>My main-board has already has an onboard video-card by Chromatic (Mpact II).
>I want to install windows 2000 but I cannot find any drivers to support it.
>The drivers included on the CD with my computer only have drivers for
>win95/98 and NT. I went to drivers.com and found one person who says he has
>them but I asked him to help and got no response.
>

>If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Does anyone know if I have the
>option of using a separate video card with this machine?
>
>thanks

The only thing that Mpact card does is let you watch DVDs on your drive with
a processor that is otherwise too slow to view them. You can get a new card
really cheap that "might" work with a software DVD decoder, but I would
guess your playback will not be as smooth as with the Mpact card (I had the
exact same setup, but even upgraded my CPU to a Celeron 500 and it played,
but not great). I also had the "version 1" Toshiba DVD that won't play a
CD-R--an original from 1997!
Anyhow, I bought an Nvidia GeForce4 (I think) card for about $60 at the time
(now they are closer to 25 for the low-end one I bought). It worked in a
manner of speaking with WinDVD.