Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Adding Memory Incompatibilities. Reality or nightmare?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 1:42:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi.
Got a Dell 8300 with 1Gb, brand Samsung, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512Mb modules).
DIMM 1 & 2
Bought 1Gb more, brand Infineon, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512 Mb modules).
I just added it like it is said in the manual. DIMM 3 & 4. No mistake.

Boot and BIOS says it has 2Gb, but they will run at 333Mhz. NOT FINE.

I remove 1Gb Infineon I just bought.
Boot and BIOS says it has 1Gb and it will run at 400Mhz. FINE.

I remove 1Gb Samsung (original one) and add recent 1Gb Infideon.
Boot and BIOS says it has 1Gb and it will run at 400Mhz. FINE.

Can someone tell me what is going on?
I checked Infineon memory and I can see HYB25D256800BT-5 written on the
chips.
Checked its web, and it seems it is the model for 256Mb modules,
but there is no such model for 512Mb modules.

I think the BIOS should report 400Mhz, as both are PC3200, 400Mhz.
Samsung & Infineon behave fine alone, but not together.
Can I complain to DELL for not getting the 400Mhz being both PC3200?
Or just complain myself for being so ingenuous and trust compatibility?

Tom.
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 1:42:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tomás Ortí Martín" <tomasorti@ya.com> wrote in
news:c9g1p0$45q$1@news.ya.com:

> Hi.
> Got a Dell 8300 with 1Gb, brand Samsung, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512Mb
> modules). DIMM 1 & 2
> Bought 1Gb more, brand Infineon, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512 Mb modules).
> I just added it like it is said in the manual. DIMM 3 & 4. No mistake.
>
> Boot and BIOS says it has 2Gb, but they will run at 333Mhz. NOT FINE.

Try using 1 of each brand and see what happens.

--
pat - pat(underscore)blank(at)hotmail(dot)com
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 1:42:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I would return the off-brand memory and buy Samsung. You can get it for a
good price at zipzoomfly.com

Seems like the memory you purchased is incompatible with your system, if it
is exhibiting this behavior. Not sure why that would be Dell's issue, since
you didn't buy it from them.

Tom
"Tomás Ortí Martín" <tomasorti@ya.com> wrote in message
news:c9g1p0$45q$1@news.ya.com...
> Hi.
> Got a Dell 8300 with 1Gb, brand Samsung, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512Mb
modules).
> DIMM 1 & 2
> Bought 1Gb more, brand Infineon, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512 Mb modules).
> I just added it like it is said in the manual. DIMM 3 & 4. No mistake.
>
> Boot and BIOS says it has 2Gb, but they will run at 333Mhz. NOT FINE.
>
> I remove 1Gb Infineon I just bought.
> Boot and BIOS says it has 1Gb and it will run at 400Mhz. FINE.
>
> I remove 1Gb Samsung (original one) and add recent 1Gb Infideon.
> Boot and BIOS says it has 1Gb and it will run at 400Mhz. FINE.
>
> Can someone tell me what is going on?
> I checked Infineon memory and I can see HYB25D256800BT-5 written on the
> chips.
> Checked its web, and it seems it is the model for 256Mb modules,
> but there is no such model for 512Mb modules.
>
> I think the BIOS should report 400Mhz, as both are PC3200, 400Mhz.
> Samsung & Infineon behave fine alone, but not together.
> Can I complain to DELL for not getting the 400Mhz being both PC3200?
> Or just complain myself for being so ingenuous and trust compatibility?
>
> Tom.
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 8:20:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:p NudncPu1ssySibdRVn-tA@comcast.com...
> I would return the off-brand memory and buy Samsung. You can get it for a
> good price at zipzoomfly.com
>
> Seems like the memory you purchased is incompatible with your system, if
it
> is exhibiting this behavior. Not sure why that would be Dell's issue,
since
> you didn't buy it from them.
>
> Tom

Don't most sites these days have a memory configurator where you enter your
manufacturer, model no etc and it tells you what you need?

I just bought 2gb from Crucial UK, lifetime warranty, free next day shipping
and guaranteed to be compatible with my system.
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 8:20:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

The Social Outcast wrote:
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:p NudncPu1ssySibdRVn-tA@comcast.com...
>
>>I would return the off-brand memory and buy Samsung. You can get it for a
>>good price at zipzoomfly.com
>>
>>Seems like the memory you purchased is incompatible with your system, if
>
> it
>
>>is exhibiting this behavior. Not sure why that would be Dell's issue,
>
> since
>
>>you didn't buy it from them.
>>
>>Tom
>
>
> Don't most sites these days have a memory configurator where you enter your
> manufacturer, model no etc and it tells you what you need?
>
> I just bought 2gb from Crucial UK, lifetime warranty, free next day shipping
> and guaranteed to be compatible with my system.
>
>

There is a difference between buying and installing
2 GB of memory from the same maker (4 sticks of 512 MB
each or 2 sticks of 1 GB each)than mixing 1 GB each
(2 sticks of 512 MB each) from 2 different makers. The
"memory configurator" does not take this variation into
consideration.
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 8:59:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"GHalleck" <ghalleck@arrakian.mining.com> wrote in message
news:10bo1icnhn6l866@news.supernews.com...
>

> There is a difference between buying and installing
> 2 GB of memory from the same maker (4 sticks of 512 MB
> each or 2 sticks of 1 GB each)than mixing 1 GB each
> (2 sticks of 512 MB each) from 2 different makers. The
> "memory configurator" does not take this variation into
> consideration.
>

I'm not much of a memory expert but don't memory manufacturers have to work
to an industry standard?

So, DDR-400 memory, for example, should work in any machine that uses
DDR-400 memory?

It seems bizarre that you can have what is effectively two sticks of the
same type of memory from different manufacturers and they won't live happily
together.
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 3:16:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I'll try that, but since I tried both separately,
I don't think I'll get something better.


"Pat Blank" <use_email@in.sig> wrote in message
news:Xns94FAA6E6684F9useemailinsig@206.141.193.32...
> "Tomás Ortí Martín" <tomasorti@ya.com> wrote in
> news:c9g1p0$45q$1@news.ya.com:
>
> > Hi.
> > Got a Dell 8300 with 1Gb, brand Samsung, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512Mb
> > modules). DIMM 1 & 2
> > Bought 1Gb more, brand Infineon, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512 Mb modules).
> > I just added it like it is said in the manual. DIMM 3 & 4. No mistake.
> >
> > Boot and BIOS says it has 2Gb, but they will run at 333Mhz. NOT FINE.
>
> Try using 1 of each brand and see what happens.
>
> --
> pat - pat(underscore)blank(at)hotmail(dot)com
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 3:17:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

But in Dell's manual they say you only need memories PC3200, 400Mhz.
Even, they say that if you use PC2700 at 333Mhz and PC3200 at 400Mhz
they will run at the lowest rate...


"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:p NudncPu1ssySibdRVn-tA@comcast.com...
> I would return the off-brand memory and buy Samsung. You can get it for a
> good price at zipzoomfly.com
>
> Seems like the memory you purchased is incompatible with your system, if
it
> is exhibiting this behavior. Not sure why that would be Dell's issue,
since
> you didn't buy it from them.
>
> Tom
> "Tomás Ortí Martín" <tomasorti@ya.com> wrote in message
> news:c9g1p0$45q$1@news.ya.com...
> > Hi.
> > Got a Dell 8300 with 1Gb, brand Samsung, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512Mb
> modules).
> > DIMM 1 & 2
> > Bought 1Gb more, brand Infineon, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512 Mb modules).
> > I just added it like it is said in the manual. DIMM 3 & 4. No mistake.
> >
> > Boot and BIOS says it has 2Gb, but they will run at 333Mhz. NOT FINE.
> >
> > I remove 1Gb Infineon I just bought.
> > Boot and BIOS says it has 1Gb and it will run at 400Mhz. FINE.
> >
> > I remove 1Gb Samsung (original one) and add recent 1Gb Infideon.
> > Boot and BIOS says it has 1Gb and it will run at 400Mhz. FINE.
> >
> > Can someone tell me what is going on?
> > I checked Infineon memory and I can see HYB25D256800BT-5 written on the
> > chips.
> > Checked its web, and it seems it is the model for 256Mb modules,
> > but there is no such model for 512Mb modules.
> >
> > I think the BIOS should report 400Mhz, as both are PC3200, 400Mhz.
> > Samsung & Infineon behave fine alone, but not together.
> > Can I complain to DELL for not getting the 400Mhz being both PC3200?
> > Or just complain myself for being so ingenuous and trust compatibility?
> >
> > Tom.
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 3:17:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

My point is that it is likely the MEMORY that is incompatible, not the
SYSTEM.

Tom
"Tomás Ortí Martín" <tomasorti@ya.com> wrote in message
news:c9hhg7$qgr$1@news.ya.com...
> But in Dell's manual they say you only need memories PC3200, 400Mhz.
> Even, they say that if you use PC2700 at 333Mhz and PC3200 at 400Mhz
> they will run at the lowest rate...
>
>
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:p NudncPu1ssySibdRVn-tA@comcast.com...
> > I would return the off-brand memory and buy Samsung. You can get it for
a
> > good price at zipzoomfly.com
> >
> > Seems like the memory you purchased is incompatible with your system, if
> it
> > is exhibiting this behavior. Not sure why that would be Dell's issue,
> since
> > you didn't buy it from them.
> >
> > Tom
> > "Tomás Ortí Martín" <tomasorti@ya.com> wrote in message
> > news:c9g1p0$45q$1@news.ya.com...
> > > Hi.
> > > Got a Dell 8300 with 1Gb, brand Samsung, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512Mb
> > modules).
> > > DIMM 1 & 2
> > > Bought 1Gb more, brand Infineon, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512 Mb modules).
> > > I just added it like it is said in the manual. DIMM 3 & 4. No mistake.
> > >
> > > Boot and BIOS says it has 2Gb, but they will run at 333Mhz. NOT FINE.
> > >
> > > I remove 1Gb Infineon I just bought.
> > > Boot and BIOS says it has 1Gb and it will run at 400Mhz. FINE.
> > >
> > > I remove 1Gb Samsung (original one) and add recent 1Gb Infideon.
> > > Boot and BIOS says it has 1Gb and it will run at 400Mhz. FINE.
> > >
> > > Can someone tell me what is going on?
> > > I checked Infineon memory and I can see HYB25D256800BT-5 written on
the
> > > chips.
> > > Checked its web, and it seems it is the model for 256Mb modules,
> > > but there is no such model for 512Mb modules.
> > >
> > > I think the BIOS should report 400Mhz, as both are PC3200, 400Mhz.
> > > Samsung & Infineon behave fine alone, but not together.
> > > Can I complain to DELL for not getting the 400Mhz being both PC3200?
> > > Or just complain myself for being so ingenuous and trust
compatibility?
> > >
> > > Tom.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 3:17:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I am going to guess it is a CAS timing issue between the two sets.
My brother went through the same thing and found that putting CAS 2.5 sticks
in his system caused it to drop to the slower speed. CAS 3 worked fine.


"Tomás Ortí Martín" <tomasorti@ya.com> wrote in message
news:c9hhg7$qgr$1@news.ya.com...
> But in Dell's manual they say you only need memories PC3200, 400Mhz.
> Even, they say that if you use PC2700 at 333Mhz and PC3200 at 400Mhz
> they will run at the lowest rate...
>
>
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:p NudncPu1ssySibdRVn-tA@comcast.com...
> > I would return the off-brand memory and buy Samsung. You can get it for
a
> > good price at zipzoomfly.com
> >
> > Seems like the memory you purchased is incompatible with your system, if
> it
> > is exhibiting this behavior. Not sure why that would be Dell's issue,
> since
> > you didn't buy it from them.
> >
> > Tom
> > "Tomás Ortí Martín" <tomasorti@ya.com> wrote in message
> > news:c9g1p0$45q$1@news.ya.com...
> > > Hi.
> > > Got a Dell 8300 with 1Gb, brand Samsung, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512Mb
> > modules).
> > > DIMM 1 & 2
> > > Bought 1Gb more, brand Infineon, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512 Mb modules).
> > > I just added it like it is said in the manual. DIMM 3 & 4. No mistake.
> > >
> > > Boot and BIOS says it has 2Gb, but they will run at 333Mhz. NOT FINE.
> > >
> > > I remove 1Gb Infineon I just bought.
> > > Boot and BIOS says it has 1Gb and it will run at 400Mhz. FINE.
> > >
> > > I remove 1Gb Samsung (original one) and add recent 1Gb Infideon.
> > > Boot and BIOS says it has 1Gb and it will run at 400Mhz. FINE.
> > >
> > > Can someone tell me what is going on?
> > > I checked Infineon memory and I can see HYB25D256800BT-5 written on
the
> > > chips.
> > > Checked its web, and it seems it is the model for 256Mb modules,
> > > but there is no such model for 512Mb modules.
> > >
> > > I think the BIOS should report 400Mhz, as both are PC3200, 400Mhz.
> > > Samsung & Infineon behave fine alone, but not together.
> > > Can I complain to DELL for not getting the 400Mhz being both PC3200?
> > > Or just complain myself for being so ingenuous and trust
compatibility?
> > >
> > > Tom.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 3:19:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I completely agree with you.
That is what I thought, and because I am blaming myself.
Being ingenuous by trusting on compatibility issues in the industry.

"The Social Outcast" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:o 2Uuc.947$OO4.8259717@news-text.cableinet.net...
>
> "GHalleck" <ghalleck@arrakian.mining.com> wrote in message
> news:10bo1icnhn6l866@news.supernews.com...
> >
>
> > There is a difference between buying and installing
> > 2 GB of memory from the same maker (4 sticks of 512 MB
> > each or 2 sticks of 1 GB each)than mixing 1 GB each
> > (2 sticks of 512 MB each) from 2 different makers. The
> > "memory configurator" does not take this variation into
> > consideration.
> >
>
> I'm not much of a memory expert but don't memory manufacturers have to
work
> to an industry standard?
>
> So, DDR-400 memory, for example, should work in any machine that uses
> DDR-400 memory?
>
> It seems bizarre that you can have what is effectively two sticks of the
> same type of memory from different manufacturers and they won't live
happily
> together.
>
>
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 4:59:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

My point is that Dell SHOULD state in its manuals
that memories from different vendors, EVEN if they are
compliance with the standard industry, PC3200-DDR400Mhz,
or whatever, can behave differently.
For me, not saying everything is a BAD way of behaving in the industry.
At least, can lead to mistakes and misunderstandings.

I found this on other forum:
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message...

Upgrading memory in Dimension 8300 systems Options

DELL-Mel Moderator

Dimension 8300 systems using DDR PC3200 memory operate with a memory bus
speed of 400 Mhz.
If you are upgrading your 8300 system with DDR PC3200 memory, only memory
with Cas Latency 3 or CL3 rating should be used.

DDR PC3200 memory from other manufacturers may work at the rated clock and
memory bus speed so long as it is CL 3. Using memory with CL 2.5 or CL 2 may
result in the memory bus slowing to 333Mhz

For guaranteed compatibility, memory can be purchased HERE

AND THAT SHOULD BE STATED IN THE MANUAL!

Tom.


"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:5u2dnc1cX8s8xSHdRVn-hg@comcast.com...
> My point is that it is likely the MEMORY that is incompatible, not the
> SYSTEM.
>
> Tom
> "Tomás Ortí Martín" <tomasorti@ya.com> wrote in message
> news:c9hhg7$qgr$1@news.ya.com...
> > But in Dell's manual they say you only need memories PC3200, 400Mhz.
> > Even, they say that if you use PC2700 at 333Mhz and PC3200 at 400Mhz
> > they will run at the lowest rate...
> >
> >
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> > news:p NudncPu1ssySibdRVn-tA@comcast.com...
> > > I would return the off-brand memory and buy Samsung. You can get it
for
> a
> > > good price at zipzoomfly.com
> > >
> > > Seems like the memory you purchased is incompatible with your system,
if
> > it
> > > is exhibiting this behavior. Not sure why that would be Dell's issue,
> > since
> > > you didn't buy it from them.
> > >
> > > Tom
> > > "Tomás Ortí Martín" <tomasorti@ya.com> wrote in message
> > > news:c9g1p0$45q$1@news.ya.com...
> > > > Hi.
> > > > Got a Dell 8300 with 1Gb, brand Samsung, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512Mb
> > > modules).
> > > > DIMM 1 & 2
> > > > Bought 1Gb more, brand Infineon, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512 Mb
modules).
> > > > I just added it like it is said in the manual. DIMM 3 & 4. No
mistake.
> > > >
> > > > Boot and BIOS says it has 2Gb, but they will run at 333Mhz. NOT
FINE.
> > > >
> > > > I remove 1Gb Infineon I just bought.
> > > > Boot and BIOS says it has 1Gb and it will run at 400Mhz. FINE.
> > > >
> > > > I remove 1Gb Samsung (original one) and add recent 1Gb Infideon.
> > > > Boot and BIOS says it has 1Gb and it will run at 400Mhz. FINE.
> > > >
> > > > Can someone tell me what is going on?
> > > > I checked Infineon memory and I can see HYB25D256800BT-5 written on
> the
> > > > chips.
> > > > Checked its web, and it seems it is the model for 256Mb modules,
> > > > but there is no such model for 512Mb modules.
> > > >
> > > > I think the BIOS should report 400Mhz, as both are PC3200, 400Mhz.
> > > > Samsung & Infineon behave fine alone, but not together.
> > > > Can I complain to DELL for not getting the 400Mhz being both PC3200?
> > > > Or just complain myself for being so ingenuous and trust
> compatibility?
> > > >
> > > > Tom.
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 7:01:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tomás Ortí Martín" <tomasorti@ya.com> wrote in
news:c9hhe6$qa1$1@news.ya.com:

> I'll try that, but since I tried both separately,
> I don't think I'll get something better.
>

My thinking is if you have the same problem with the mixed pair, that
would be a pretty good indicator of incompatibility. This happens quite
a bit, seems to be no real solution other than to get another kind. Both
brands are good. You might want to send a note to Dell, maybe they can
do something about it in a future BIOS update.

--
pat - pat(underscore)blank(at)hotmail(dot)com
June 2, 2004 7:17:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tomás Ortí Martín wrote:
> My point is that Dell SHOULD state in its manuals
> that memories from different vendors, EVEN if they are
> compliance with the standard industry, PC3200-DDR400Mhz,
> or whatever, can behave differently.

That would be nice, but how could Dell (or any other vendor) test all
the available memory on the market in all the countries where they sell
systems? Not practical, plus no company can afford to take the position
of guaranteeing other companies' products. Make sense?
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 6:05:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Make sense?
Dell (or any other vendor) don't have to test all available memory.
They just have to state in the manual that even standard PC3200-DDR400Mhz
from different vendors can slow speed. That's it. Make sense?
The point here I guess, is the degree of the word "standard".


"Gus" <Gus@nowhere.net> wrote in message
news:TEbvc.21265$eU6.4725584@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...
> Tomás Ortí Martín wrote:
> > My point is that Dell SHOULD state in its manuals
> > that memories from different vendors, EVEN if they are
> > compliance with the standard industry, PC3200-DDR400Mhz,
> > or whatever, can behave differently.
>
> That would be nice, but how could Dell (or any other vendor) test all
> the available memory on the market in all the countries where they sell
> systems? Not practical, plus no company can afford to take the position
> of guaranteeing other companies' products. Make sense?
>
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 8:07:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

At least got a EXPLAINING answer.
And it seems a BIOS restriction.


Jason98036
Forum Regular


Viewed 10 times


It sounds like a CAS latency (CL) issue.

If you completely removed the existing Dell ram, then you could install DDR
PC3200 CL=2.5 and it would run at 400MHz.

However, if you keep the existing Dell ram, then the additional ram must be
DDR PC3200 CL=3 in order to get 400MHz speed.

Here's the reason. The BIOS looks at the timing tables that are hardcoded
into each stick of ram. It then tries to find a common CL rating, and
chooses the maximum speed supported by each stick at that CL rating. So
with Dell ram having a table that shows:

400MHz @ CL=3 ... 333MHz @ CL=2.5 ... 266MHz @ CL=2

If you added ram that showed CL=2.5 at all speeds, the BIOS would compare
the sticks, spot CL=2.5 as a common speed, but since the Dell ram is only
rated to support 333MHz @ CL=2.5, that's the fastest that the memory will
run. Running it at 400MHz @ CL=2.5 would go above the listed specs, which
the BIOS prevents in order to ensure a more stable system.

Unfortuneately, the only two speeds that the BIOS will recognize are CL=3 or
CL=2.5. If you install only CL=2 ram, the BIOS gets confused and usually
forces the ram to run at only 333MHz if you replace the existing ram, or
only 266MHz if mixed with the original Dell ram.

Most other BIOSs do the same thing, but they then have an option to allow
the user to override the default selection. The Dell BIOS does not give the
user the option to override, so we're stuck with the limitation that the
BIOS determines. At the very least, it should allow us to force using a
common speed instead of common CL.


Message Edited by Jason98036 on 06-01-2004 12:17 PM







"Tomás Ortí Martín" <tomasorti@ya.com> wrote in message
news:c9g1p0$45q$1@news.ya.com...
> Hi.
> Got a Dell 8300 with 1Gb, brand Samsung, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512Mb
modules).
> DIMM 1 & 2
> Bought 1Gb more, brand Infineon, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512 Mb modules).
> I just added it like it is said in the manual. DIMM 3 & 4. No mistake.
>
> Boot and BIOS says it has 2Gb, but they will run at 333Mhz. NOT FINE.
>
> I remove 1Gb Infineon I just bought.
> Boot and BIOS says it has 1Gb and it will run at 400Mhz. FINE.
>
> I remove 1Gb Samsung (original one) and add recent 1Gb Infideon.
> Boot and BIOS says it has 1Gb and it will run at 400Mhz. FINE.
>
> Can someone tell me what is going on?
> I checked Infineon memory and I can see HYB25D256800BT-5 written on the
> chips.
> Checked its web, and it seems it is the model for 256Mb modules,
> but there is no such model for 512Mb modules.
>
> I think the BIOS should report 400Mhz, as both are PC3200, 400Mhz.
> Samsung & Infineon behave fine alone, but not together.
> Can I complain to DELL for not getting the 400Mhz being both PC3200?
> Or just complain myself for being so ingenuous and trust compatibility?
>
> Tom.
>
>
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 10:19:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>
>
> "Tomás Ortí Martín" <tomasorti@ya.com> wrote in message
> news:c9g1p0$45q$1@news.ya.com...
> > Hi.
> > Got a Dell 8300 with 1Gb, brand Samsung, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512Mb
> modules).
> > DIMM 1 & 2
> > Bought 1Gb more, brand Infineon, PC3200, 400Mhz (two 512 Mb modules).
> > I just added it like it is said in the manual. DIMM 3 & 4. No mistake.
> >
> > Boot and BIOS says it has 2Gb, but they will run at 333Mhz. NOT FINE.
> >
> > I remove 1Gb Infineon I just bought.
> > Boot and BIOS says it has 1Gb and it will run at 400Mhz. FINE.
> >
> > I remove 1Gb Samsung (original one) and add recent 1Gb Infideon.
> > Boot and BIOS says it has 1Gb and it will run at 400Mhz. FINE.
> >
> > Can someone tell me what is going on?
> > I checked Infineon memory and I can see HYB25D256800BT-5 written on the
> > chips.
> > Checked its web, and it seems it is the model for 256Mb modules,
> > but there is no such model for 512Mb modules.
> >
> > I think the BIOS should report 400Mhz, as both are PC3200, 400Mhz.
> > Samsung & Infineon behave fine alone, but not together.
> > Can I complain to DELL for not getting the 400Mhz being both PC3200?
> > Or just complain myself for being so ingenuous and trust compatibility?
> >
> > Tom.
> >

"Tomás Ortí Martín" <tomasorti@ya.com> wrote in message
news:c9kmsg$l8b$1@news.ya.com...
> At least got a EXPLAINING answer.
> And it seems a BIOS restriction.
>
>
> Jason98036
> Forum Regular
>
>
> Viewed 10 times
>
>
> It sounds like a CAS latency (CL) issue.
>
> If you completely removed the existing Dell ram, then you could install
DDR
> PC3200 CL=2.5 and it would run at 400MHz.
>
> However, if you keep the existing Dell ram, then the additional ram must
be
> DDR PC3200 CL=3 in order to get 400MHz speed.
>
> Here's the reason. The BIOS looks at the timing tables that are hardcoded
> into each stick of ram. It then tries to find a common CL rating, and
> chooses the maximum speed supported by each stick at that CL rating. So
> with Dell ram having a table that shows:
>
> 400MHz @ CL=3 ... 333MHz @ CL=2.5 ... 266MHz @ CL=2
>
> If you added ram that showed CL=2.5 at all speeds, the BIOS would compare
> the sticks, spot CL=2.5 as a common speed, but since the Dell ram is only
> rated to support 333MHz @ CL=2.5, that's the fastest that the memory will
> run. Running it at 400MHz @ CL=2.5 would go above the listed specs, which
> the BIOS prevents in order to ensure a more stable system.
>
> Unfortuneately, the only two speeds that the BIOS will recognize are CL=3
or
> CL=2.5. If you install only CL=2 ram, the BIOS gets confused and usually
> forces the ram to run at only 333MHz if you replace the existing ram, or
> only 266MHz if mixed with the original Dell ram.
>
> Most other BIOSs do the same thing, but they then have an option to allow
> the user to override the default selection. The Dell BIOS does not give
the
> user the option to override, so we're stuck with the limitation that the
> BIOS determines. At the very least, it should allow us to force using a
> common speed instead of common CL.
>
>
> Message Edited by Jason98036 on 06-01-2004 12:17 PM
>
>

Gee, now why didn't I think of the CAS Timing issue and post that several
days ago! :0)
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 8:31:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Mon, 31 May 2004 20:21:31 GMT, Pat Blank <use_email@in.sig> wrote:

>Try using 1 of each brand and see what happens.

Won't work. DIMM's are installed in pairs.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 9:58:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tomás Ortí Martín wrote:

> Make sense?
> Dell (or any other vendor) don't have to test all available memory.
> They just have to state in the manual that even standard PC3200-DDR400Mhz
> from different vendors can slow speed. That's it. Make sense?
> The point here I guess, is the degree of the word "standard".

I conclude it didn't make sense.

Good luck with your computer.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 10:36:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

If they were 100% compatible as the OP claimed, then it would work.


"Paul Knudsen" <HughG@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
news:ncatb0levahsab5v0gbo9ifuq96htpiq42@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 20:21:31 GMT, Pat Blank <use_email@in.sig> wrote:
>
> >Try using 1 of each brand and see what happens.
>
> Won't work. DIMM's are installed in pairs.
> --
> Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
> http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 8:03:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Paul Knudsen <HughG@dodgeit.com> wrote in
news:ncatb0levahsab5v0gbo9ifuq96htpiq42@4ax.com:

> On Mon, 31 May 2004 20:21:31 GMT, Pat Blank <use_email@in.sig> wrote:
>
>>Try using 1 of each brand and see what happens.
>
> Won't work. DIMM's are installed in pairs.

DIMMs do not have to be installed in pairs, that is SIMMs you must be
thinking about. Besides you would be installing a pair in this case. One
of each brand. This would hopefully indicate a conflict if you could
not run them at 400. This would let you know its probably not a DIMM
slot acting funny.

--
pat - pat(underscore)blank(at)hotmail(dot)com
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 9:29:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Dual-channel DDR needs to be in matched pairs.

Tom
"Pat Blank" <use_email@in.sig> wrote in message
news:Xns94FE9FD1F7Auseemailinsig@207.115.63.158...
> Paul Knudsen <HughG@dodgeit.com> wrote in
> news:ncatb0levahsab5v0gbo9ifuq96htpiq42@4ax.com:
>
> > On Mon, 31 May 2004 20:21:31 GMT, Pat Blank <use_email@in.sig> wrote:
> >
> >>Try using 1 of each brand and see what happens.
> >
> > Won't work. DIMM's are installed in pairs.
>
> DIMMs do not have to be installed in pairs, that is SIMMs you must be
> thinking about. Besides you would be installing a pair in this case. One
> of each brand. This would hopefully indicate a conflict if you could
> not run them at 400. This would let you know its probably not a DIMM
> slot acting funny.
>
> --
> pat - pat(underscore)blank(at)hotmail(dot)com
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 11:51:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 06:36:18 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>If they were 100% compatible as the OP claimed, then it would work.

If same size, true.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 12:13:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:<L7ydnTJyseGc3F3d4p2dnA@comcast.com>...
> Dual-channel DDR needs to be in matched pairs.
>

bollocks it does.
it's not magic this, it's just DDR ram.
i have seen a *lot* of stability problems due to out of spec ram - buy
it direct from micron from their retail arm at www.crucial.com.
you *do not* need to match pairs - you just need sticks that work in
your board which is not always an exact science with other brands.
i have personally tested just about every board out there with just
about every brand, usually several times.

ric
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 3:45:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"ric" <publicmail@infobubble.co.uk> wrote in message
news:b470f7c4.0406040713.3678ef25@posting.google.com...
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:<L7ydnTJyseGc3F3d4p2dnA@comcast.com>...
>> Dual-channel DDR needs to be in matched pairs.
>>
>
> bollocks it does.
> it's not magic this, it's just DDR ram.
> i have seen a *lot* of stability problems due to out of spec ram - buy
> it direct from micron from their retail arm at www.crucial.com.
> you *do not* need to match pairs - you just need sticks that work in
> your board which is not always an exact science with other brands.
> i have personally tested just about every board out there with just
> about every brand, usually several times.
>
> ric


Mule muffins. By "matched pairs", Tom meant "matched (specs) pairs", and
he's completely right. Sure, you can mix (for example) sticks of Micron
with other brands such as Samsung, Infineon, Nanya, blah blah. As long as
the specs. match (PC2100/2700/3200 as well as capacities) the machine will
run correctly.

Mix the specs. and the machine will default to the slowest speed RAM or in
some freaky cases, may revert to single channel mode from dual.


Stew
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 6:03:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I just meant in PAIRS. The 800FSB machines are dual channel. You DON'T
want an uneven number as they'll run in SINGLE channel mode.

Tom
"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
news:5w1wc.9974$xt5.474@bignews2.bellsouth.net...
>
> "ric" <publicmail@infobubble.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:b470f7c4.0406040713.3678ef25@posting.google.com...
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> > news:<L7ydnTJyseGc3F3d4p2dnA@comcast.com>...
> >> Dual-channel DDR needs to be in matched pairs.
> >>
> >
> > bollocks it does.
> > it's not magic this, it's just DDR ram.
> > i have seen a *lot* of stability problems due to out of spec ram - buy
> > it direct from micron from their retail arm at www.crucial.com.
> > you *do not* need to match pairs - you just need sticks that work in
> > your board which is not always an exact science with other brands.
> > i have personally tested just about every board out there with just
> > about every brand, usually several times.
> >
> > ric
>
>
> Mule muffins. By "matched pairs", Tom meant "matched (specs) pairs", and
> he's completely right. Sure, you can mix (for example) sticks of Micron
> with other brands such as Samsung, Infineon, Nanya, blah blah. As long as
> the specs. match (PC2100/2700/3200 as well as capacities) the machine will
> run correctly.
>
> Mix the specs. and the machine will default to the slowest speed RAM or in
> some freaky cases, may revert to single channel mode from dual.
>
>
> Stew
>
>
Anonymous
June 6, 2004 2:55:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:RaSdnU-VBvzLJF3dRVn-uQ@comcast.com...
>I just meant in PAIRS. The 800FSB machines are dual channel. You DON'T
> want an uneven number as they'll run in SINGLE channel mode.
>
> Tom

<snip>


I get it. I got it. I live it, learn it and know it.

I'm not sure that the previous poster does, however.
!