Intel should be ashamed of itself over AMD 64, Tor

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Intel should be ashamed of itself over AMD 64, Torvalds says

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14301

A POSTING BY LINUS Torvalds on the linux-kernel mailing list suggests that Intel should be more than a little ashamed of itself when it announced its 64-bit extensions last week.
Torvalds was replying to a post which asked whether there was any difference between X86_64 and X86-64.

He said the real name for the instruction set should be X86-64, and always has been.

Torvalds said he was "a bit disgusted" at Intel for not even mentioning AMD in its documentation or its press releases. "I'd almost be inclined to rename the thing as AMD64 just to give credit where credit is due," he said. "However, it's just not worth the pain and confusion".

He suggests that Intel people on the mailing list tell their managers that they should be "[expletive deleted] ashamed of themselves. Just because Intel doesn't care about their customers and has been playing with some other 64-bit architecture that nobody wanted to use is no excuse for not giving credit to AMD for what they did with X86-64".

He adds, however, that he's happy Intel "finally got with the program" but describes it as "pretty petty" not to even mention AMD in the documentation and "try to make it look like it was all their idea".

The INQUIRER name for Intel's 64-bit extensions is iAMD64. µ

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by darko21 on 02/23/04 02:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Coop

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
Intel should be ashamed of many things, Rambus, higher prices then AMD and performing wors, Celeron, Prescott, Itanium, taking CPU`s back because it had problems, ore they adviced to clock it down to keep stability(Itanium), calling mobomakers and telling them better not to make a mainboard for the opteron, telling the joe smoe`s MHz means performence, etc, etc...

If AMD would pull out such a few tricks, there would not be AMD any more...

Toms Hardware Site is a joke !

InkSpot

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2004
Hold on doods saying something like this will getyou flamed. The word >ashamed< is not the word to be used here, you will in no doubt be tagged as "amd fanboys"...

still i think that Intel should Merit AMD64 in the tech docs (manuals), afterall AMD calls SSE and SSE2 instructions Intel SSE/SSE2 instruction in their manuals.

This was a post to cool down the tone here and merely imply that Intel could have handled this in a more suitable way towards AMD........but having a company is about making money, and i doubt Intel will ever put the name "AMD" on one of their feautures..

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by InkSpot on 02/23/04 04:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

DeEvolution

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2004
Well, that only proves what everyone knew all along, that the Linux community (especially including Linus Torvalds) knows absolutely nothing about marketing.

AMD does not claim that their CPUs use the SSE instruction set. They use the 3DNow! instruction set <A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_3734_3736,00.html" target="_new">(72 instructions, full SSE compatability)</A>. That makes 3DNow! an AMD trademark that no one else can use. Just as AMD64 is also trademarked so that Intel <i>cannot</i> use it.

So Intel named their instruction set X86_64, which Intel <i>can</i> trademark so that no one else can use it, unlike the name x86-64 which is an industry standard that anyone can use. Intel's X86_64 will surely be (xxx instructions, full x86-64 compatability) just like AMD did. It is all just marketing.

Well, sometimes other companies <i>can</i> use those kinds of trademarks, depending on the licensing going on. Even then however most companies will choose not to directly use those and instead create their own marketing name for product/brand recognition purposes. So it is still rarely done.

Anywhy, anyone who gets <i>that</i> upset over marketing needs a ten gallon coffee enema to wash out the stick shoved <i>that</i> far up their hiney.

"Sad is the elephant upon the ice who went to put on his wooly coat only to realize that he left it in his other trunk." - DeEvolution

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
I think you have one big 'LOL' coming.

A long long time ago, but I can still remember, how that music used to make me smile... <A HREF="http://www.nexus.hu/zonix/DIGGER.MID" target="_new"><b><font color=blue>Digger rulz</font color=blue></b></A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Snorkius on 02/23/04 08:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
Linus Torvalds is looking more like an idiot all the time. He needs to stop wasting his time spouting off his stupid comments and got work on the linux kernel some more.

<font color=blue>Sig for sale.</font color=blue>

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I for one applaud Intel for using a carbon copy of the X86-64 instruction set. Cross platform compatability is better for everyone.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
OMFG you AMD fan bois!!!!!!!! Intel r0x0rs your b0x0rs!!! Psssht AMD, who gives a sh!t about that stupid company. They're processors are clearly unstable and they don't do stuff right, like with the whole JPEG misrepresentation scandal a few years back. Psssht.

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Take a pill flamethrower I'm just the messenger.

I did not write it nor did I say I support it.

I never expected intel to call it amd-whatever

Chill out you will live longer.

But it is nice to see intel following AMD for a change rather than adding blue crystals to the cpu.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
wow, it took 29 mins for a response! You people say times r heated- bs, I shoulda been called a troll 5 times in that time :tongue:

I'm just playing, me and amd go like fava beans and a nice chianti o.0 Right now I'm waiting for some nice benchies- gotta say that a benchmark can make or break the 10,000 arguments here...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well then, he was wrong on at least one count: Every company cares about their customers (else they cease to exist).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Crash you should watch p4mans vid link on intel blue crystals. It's a little long and drawn out but an eye opener none the less . :)

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
Intel is rightfully named it's new 64bit extension processor, "IA-32E". AMD's x86-64 is nothing more than a 32-bit processor with 64-bit extensions. Unlike the Itanium(IA-64) which is a full 64-bit processor.

-------
<b><i>1024MB-P4 2.8B-RADEON 9500PRO</b></i>
<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php? run=1819503988" target="_new">29,724 Aquamarks</A>#1 in class!

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Troll...badum bump!!!

If an argument can't be settled in one or two paragraphs, perhaps you're anal and should just let it go...

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
And how they gonna get the rest of the pennies? By creating products that satisfy the consumer. Now just because a select few hundred people need something more specific/ see faults cause they research this stuff doesn't mean anything to em. They still have the millions in the masses who are perfectly content running a 1.5Ghz P4 and will never know what they are running. In the end it is a good product in the eyes of the populus.