Des

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2001

I have heard that there is software that i can get that will alow me to
backup outlook express emails and address book, allowing me to format
my PC and re-install windows. Can anyone give me any info on this
please.

Desmond.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

http://www.insideoe.com/backup/

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Des wrote:
> I have heard that there is software that i can get that will alow me to
> backup outlook express emails and address book, allowing me to format
> my PC and re-install windows. Can anyone give me any info on this
> please.

There are lots of freebie solutions, but none I've used in the past have
worked all that reliably. The problem is that you find that out only
AFTER you try it. Then it's too late, unless you had the foresight to
manually save/backup the critical stuff.

I rely on a manual process to restore mail and contacts after a reinstall:

Save the .wab (Search to locate) and the Store (Folder Tools > Options >
Maintenance > Store Folder) tree somewhere for safekeeping

Reinstall Windows

Set up the OE acct info (POP and SMTP server, etc)

Find the new Store Folder (see above), rename it and drop the old store
tree where the new store tree was (or, if you prefer, just point the
Store Folder in OE to the where the old store was saved)

Find the new .wab and drop the old .wab where the new .wab is