CPU temp 2 high? Some=yes, Some=no, You=?

lowstandards

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2004
Ok, my pc's pentium 4 3.0@3.5 runs around 55-57 degrees Celcius during hardcore gaming. My case is around 36 degrees Celcius during hardcore gaming.

Sandra 2004 burn in wizard will get my processor up to 60 degrees Celcius and no further!

Many folks are telling me "Fool!! You are going to burn up your processor." Others are telling me that this is a little on the high side but of little concern.

what temps are you guys running? What is safe for a Pentium 4's? I have scowered the internet and found only that Pentium 4's auto shut down at around 140 degrees Celcius. What gives? Anyone? Thanks!

P4 3.0@3.5
Abit IC-7
1GB PC4000 OCZ DDR
Hercules 3D Prophet 9800XT
Audigy 2 ZS
Maxtor 160GB SATA 150 H/D

cooling:

1-Zalman CNP7000A-AlCu CPU heatsink fan
2 - 36cfm front intake
1 - 20-75cfm Thermaltake Smart Fan (auto sensing) side intake
2 - 20-75cfm Thermaltake Smart Fan (auto sensing) rear exaust
1 - 20-75cfm Thermaltake Smart Fan (auto sensing) top exaust
Antec 480W TrueBlue Power supply w/2 auto sensing fans.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
60c isnt gonna burn up your cpu but it is a bit hot

On the other hand your case temp is pretty high...especially considering how many fans you are using...

I know this sounds dumb but are you sure they are all facing the right direction? Remember case temp is directly proportional to cpu temp...

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a processor
110% BX fanboy

lowstandards

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2004
THANKS PIIIMAN for the quick response. YES ALL fans in correct direction. Note: I can manually turn fans up to max speed. However, the sound is literally louder than my car vac!! so that is out of question.

also, my 2 front intake fans are blowing air over my 7200 rpm hard drive. could the fans just be pushing hot air off of hard drive and further into case? hmm

lowstandards

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2004
THANKS FOR THE INFO. PLEASE FOR YOU TO TELL ME WHERE YOU FOUND THE INFO THAT 70 DEGREES THE P4 THROTTLES BACK. NOT THAT I DON'T TRUST. BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE SOURCE FOR FUTHER REFERENCE SO THAT I MAY HELP OTHERS AS YOU HAVE HELPED ME. THANSK AGAIN!!

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
ARGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!
Mine eyes, they burn!!
Oh how they burn!!!!!!
Burn, burn from the abundance of CAPITAL letters.
*pull out eyes*

Seriously, dude, don't do that!

A long long time ago, but I can still remember, how that music used to make me smile... <A HREF="http://www.nexus.hu/zonix/DIGGER.MID" target="_new"><b><font color=blue>Digger rulz</font color=blue></b></A>

endyen

Splendid
Throttling temps are adjustable in some bios. Check to see if yours is.
60c is a bit high for P4a,b+c , but that is assuming your sensor is reading properly. Most chips give different readings on different mobos. The only valid test of temp ,is crashing. If your system crashes regularly, it's too hot.If it never crashes it's fine.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
I like mine under 45c, but i have an oc'ed AMD. Unless your comp isn't freezing and whatnot then you should be fine.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1148434516" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1148434516</A>
Figured i'd do it too..reality my ass.