Sign in with
Your question

Help With 22-23" Dual Monitor Setup

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 4, 2011 1:11:34 PM

I'm going to buy two 23" monitors. I like the idea of either two Dell U2311H monitors or two P2311H monitors.

- The U2311H is from the Ultrasharp series and uses in-plane switching (IPS) for better viewing angles and more vivid colors. However, it has an 8ms response time, and I like to play fighting games, which require tight response times (2ms is best).
- The P2311H is the Pro series, which is a TN, but offers 5ms. However, I'd prefer an IPS panel for better viewing angels when in portrait mode.

After doing a lot of research, I cannot find the perfect monitor setup.

I need the following in a monitor:
- 1920x1080
- Pivot function built into stand (like both of the above monitors)
- Low response if possible (=< 5ms)
- IPS (not TN) so my angles will look better when in portrait mode
- 23" (or 22")
- DVI input
- Energy Star 5 and other power saving features (low power... I'll be running 2!)
- I'd prefer one without speakers

The fighting game community likes these:
EVO 2009 was ASUS VH236H
EVO 2010 was Alienware AW2210

However, neither of these have a built-in pivot function, and they are not IPS.

Does anyone know of a monitor that matches my specs? I think the main problem is the IPS and low gray-to-gray response time. I'd prefer 2ms, but I'll take a 5ms response for an IPS panel that pivots. I know I can get a pivoting stand, but I can only afford two monitors, not two monitors and stands.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

More about : dual monitor setup

a c 78 C Monitor
March 4, 2011 1:52:06 PM

First of all, response time is deceptive, since it may get measured different ways for different monitors. As long as the worst-case response time is well under 16.7ms, it should only barely be detectable.

Second, I think you may be confusing it with input lag, which is a lot more important for fast games like fighting and FPS. Unfortunately, sometimes it's hard to find out ahead of time what the input lag will be. I'm not sure about the P2311H, but the U2311H has been measured by TFT Central, and the average input lag is 10.6ms (30ms max)

Third, as far as affording a separate stand, having the monitor include a pivoting stand would probably drive up the price to match that of the monitor with simpler stand plus the separate stand. Also, you wouldn't necessarily need a pivoting stand - if the stand is high enough and the monitor has 100mm x 100mm mounting holes, you could just mount it in portrait mode (you're not planning to frequently switch between landscape and portrait, right?)
m
l
a c 110 C Monitor
March 4, 2011 3:24:19 PM

have you looked into viewsonic? the professional series has great color and viewing angles. my old one had a very nice rotatable base too.

as mauve said: response time given means jack. many places do not even state what they are measuring. for reference my old vp201b had a listed response time of 16ms which i used for fps gaming and i never noticed one bit of lag.

the only time when you will need lower than 8ms response times are when viewing 120hz 3d video signal on a 3d ready monitor.
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 C Monitor
March 4, 2011 3:59:52 PM

Yeah, the Viewsonic VP2365wb might be a good option for him, though slightly worse in the average input lag compared with the Dell U2311H. The NEC EA231WMi (or its successor, the EA232Wmi) would also be an option, with lower input lag than the U2311H.
m
l
March 4, 2011 4:18:51 PM

Great responses! Now I can compare the U2311H, VP2365wb, and EA231WMi. These are all viable options, so I'll have to do more research based on these models. Hopefully, I can use reviews of these three models to see about any other monitors that match as "equals."

My next move is to check TFT Central for reviews (thanks for the site!) and also look into deals for any of the three. I was hoping to spend $450 for two monitors, but I don't think that's going to happen with what I want. Time to hit FatWallet, bensbargains, dealnews, slickdeals, etc.

Thanks!
m
l
a c 196 C Monitor
March 4, 2011 5:04:46 PM

Only more expensive H-IPS panel monitors are rated at 6ms (my Planar PX2611w is rated at 5ms).

The NEC EA231WMi, NEC EA232WMi and Viewsonic VP2365 all lack RTC (Response Time Compensation) so they are rated at 14ms. Therefore, if you want low response times and IPS panel on a budget, then you are stuck with the Dell U2311h.
m
l
March 4, 2011 6:16:24 PM

jaguarskx said:
Only more expensive H-IPS panel monitors are rated at 6ms (my Planar PX2611w is rated at 5ms).

The NEC EA231WMi, NEC EA232WMi and Viewsonic VP2365 all lack RTC (Response Time Compensation) so they are rated at 14ms. Therefore, if you want low response times and IPS panel on a budget, then you are stuck with the Dell U2311h.

Rock on. I am pretty much sold on the U2311h, unless I can find a good price on a EA231WMi. Just need to wait for a deal to pop up :) .

Thanks again everyone!
m
l
March 4, 2011 11:09:17 PM

After learning about the NEC's responsiveness, I decided on the U2311H. The EA232's updated LED backlight didn't sell me. For the Dell monitors, I found a coupon code for 10% off Dell accessories/monitors and free shipping :) .

U2311H 23 inch Flat Panel Display Configuration
U2311H 23 inch Flat Panel Display
QTY: 2 $319.00
Estimated Delivery Date 3/31/2011

3Yr PREMIUM PANEL Ltd. Warranty, 3 yr Advanced Exchange
QTY: 2 $0.00
Estimated Delivery Date

Sub Total $638.00

Total Discounts -$71.90
Sub Total $566.10
Shipping & Handling $38.00
Shipping Discount -$38.00