CPU Temp on new GA-7N400, did I do sth wrong?

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
recently, I got a new motherboard, Gigabyte GA-7N400L
After everything is installed, everything seems to be working properly, but the cpu temp is unually high, When the pc is booted, the temperature is about 45C, and then after a while, the cpu idle temperature is about 56C, after loaded it goes above 66C. If the room temperature is warm, idel temp would be 65C...dunno what will reach after full loaded
it's the same cpu that i used to have, and it's usually 46C idle, 55C full loaded (on KT333 or A7N8X-X)
is it because Bios did wrong reading, or I did sth wrong?

Athlon XP 2600+@2.08Ghz, Thouroughbred
Gigabyte GA-7N400L
Micron DDR333 512MB 2.5/2/2/5
Enermax 365W Dual Fan

btw, there is an option in Bios called "CPU Thermal-Throttling", the options are disabled or 12.5% to 87.5%, what is this?
Thanks for taking ur time :smile:

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
It's a safe bet that you placed your HSF wrong when installing the CPU.

A long long time ago, but I can still remember, how that music used to make me smile... <A HREF="http://www.nexus.hu/zonix/DIGGER.MID" target="_new"><b><font color=blue>Digger rulz</font color=blue></b></A>

jon_west_uk

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2003
I have heard that gigabyte tend to overestimate the temp by roughly 10 degrees. I dont know whether that applies to your motherboard though.

It is usually best if you can test the temp with an external temperature guage, that way you will know for sure. If you dont have one then you could always try touching the side of the heatsink to see roughly how hot it is. If it burns your hand then something is wrong!!

I am assuming you have put thermal compound between your heatsink and cpu?

Someone please unwire me...the gadgets are taking over!

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I have a Gigabyte motherboard and one of the best heatsinks you can get and my temps are still rather high, compared to what I'm used to. I think it's just that Gigabyte tends to overestimate the temperature. But definitely check to make sure that you installed the heatsink correctly and applied the thermal compound properly.

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>