Best Speed Blu Ray DVD Burning

philj_14

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hello,
I've just built a Windows 7 computer with the Intel i7 processor and 12 GB of RAM. Looking forward to burning BLU Ray DVD's, which would be the fastest? Internal SATA? E-SATA? or USB 3.0 (when more of these become available)?
Or is the write speed the limiter regardless of which connection format is used?

All advice is appreciated.

Phil

Solution
the maximum for cds is due to the maximum rpms that a disk can handle in your drive before literally breaking apart in your drive. I believe that dvd,br writers are more limited to how fast the laser can etch the disk as the data is packed much much much tighter.
well in terms of hard drives internal sata > external usb so i'd gander the same for optical drives as well. that said, i think you're more limited by the actual drives write speed. keep in mind that unless you have two drives you'll be copying a disk image to the hard drive then writing that image to the disk second. this means that a fast hard drive might affect speeds as well. on top of all that, different software will write at different rates..

in summary: its going to take awhile in any case! thats alot of data to write.

philj_14

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

SSDDX
Thanks for your reply. We're having fun video editing with this new computer. Much faster rendering and writing. I read somewhere that 22X is about as fast as DVD burners will ever be; some kind of physical limit to optical drive recording. I'll keep tracking speed improvements in BluRay drives.

Phil

the maximum for cds is due to the maximum rpms that a disk can handle in your drive before literally breaking apart in your drive. I believe that dvd,br writers are more limited to how fast the laser can etch the disk as the data is packed much much much tighter.

Solution