Upgrade 98ME

I have an IBM Series i 1200 notebook computer running Windows 98ME. I want to
upgrade it to Windows XP Home Edition. I bought the computer in January 2001,
so I assume it was manufacuted about that time. It has 192 MB of RAM (the
maximum) and a 10 gig hard drive.

How do I determine if I can/should upgrade?

Thanks,
--
Howard
11 answers Last reply

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx

    Howard wrote:

    > I have an IBM Series i 1200 notebook computer running Windows 98ME. I want to
    > upgrade it to Windows XP Home Edition. I bought the computer in January 2001,
    > so I assume it was manufacuted about that time. It has 192 MB of RAM (the
    > maximum) and a 10 gig hard drive.
    >
    > How do I determine if I can/should upgrade?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Bob I,

    Thanks!

    HF
    --
    Howard

    In news:F0178B93-A25E-459D-8E1F-E27070750CB4@microsoft.com,
    Howard <DFM@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I have an IBM Series i 1200 notebook computer running Windows
    > 98ME.

    98ME? There was no such thing. Presumably you mean either Windows
    98SE or Windows Me.

    > want to upgrade it to Windows XP Home Edition. I bought the
    > computer
    > in January 2001, so I assume it was manufacuted about that
    > time. It
    > has 192 MB of RAM (the maximum) and a 10 gig hard drive.
    >
    > How do I determine if I can/should upgrade?

    Although 192MB is well over the official minimum for XP that
    Microsoft quotes (64MB), it's well below the actual minimum that
    most people need for adequate performance. You get good
    performance if the amount of RAM you have keeps you from using
    the page file, and that depends on what apps you run. Most people
    running a typical range of business applications find that
    somewhere around 256-384MB works well, others need 512MB. Some
    people, particularly those doing things like editing large
    photographic images, need much more.

    If I were in your shoes, I probably wouldn't upgrade if you can't
    add RAM above 192MB.

    However run the Microsoft Upgrade Advisor at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    You're welcome!

    Howard <DFM@discussions.microsoft.com> replied with a ;-)
    > I have an IBM Series i 1200 notebook computer running Windows 98ME. I
    > want to upgrade it to Windows XP Home Edition. I bought the computer
    > in January 2001, so I assume it was manufacuted about that time. It
    > has 192 MB of RAM (the maximum) and a 10 gig hard drive.
    >
    > How do I determine if I can/should upgrade?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Forget it. Not enough hard drive space or ram.
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    Howard <DFM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I have an IBM Series i 1200 notebook computer running Windows 98ME

    There is no "Windows 98ME". There was "Windows 98SE" and "Windows Me",
    two different OS.

    --
    d-d

    Well there was 98 and then Second Edition and the Mangled Edition! :-)

    Howard wrote:
    > I have an IBM Series i 1200 notebook computer running Windows 98ME. I want to
    > upgrade it to Windows XP Home Edition. I bought the computer in January 2001,
    > so I assume it was manufacuted about that time. It has 192 MB of RAM (the
    > maximum) and a 10 gig hard drive.
    >
    > How do I determine if I can/should upgrade?
    >
    > Thanks,

    More RAM would be a very good idea.

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
    > In news:F0178B93-A25E-459D-8E1F-E27070750CB4@microsoft.com,
    > Howard <DFM@discussions.microsoft.com> replied with a ;-)
    >> I have an IBM Series i 1200 notebook computer running Windows 98ME. I
    >> want to upgrade it to Windows XP Home Edition. I bought the computer
    >> in January 2001, so I assume it was manufacuted about that time. It
    >> has 192 MB of RAM (the maximum) and a 10 gig hard drive.
    >>
    >> How do I determine if I can/should upgrade?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >
    > Forget it. Not enough hard drive space or ram.
    > --
    > Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP

    Right ;-)

    BTW I have XP Pro running nicely on a Compaq Armada E500 with 12GB Hard
    Drive and 256MB RAM.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Thanks for all your replies. I did mean Windows Me. Sorry for the confusion.
    I'll take your advise and not convert. The computer is coming up on 5 years
    old and basically does what I need it to do. I have a desktop with XP.
    --
    Howard

    "Harry Ohrn" wrote:

    > "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
    > > In news:F0178B93-A25E-459D-8E1F-E27070750CB4@microsoft.com,
    > > Howard <DFM@discussions.microsoft.com> replied with a ;-)
    > >> I have an IBM Series i 1200 notebook computer running Windows 98ME. I
    > >> want to upgrade it to Windows XP Home Edition. I bought the computer
    > >> in January 2001, so I assume it was manufacuted about that time. It
    > >> has 192 MB of RAM (the maximum) and a 10 gig hard drive.
    > >>
    > >> How do I determine if I can/should upgrade?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >
    > > Forget it. Not enough hard drive space or ram.
    > > --
    > > Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    >
    > Right ;-)
    >
    > BTW I have XP Pro running nicely on a Compaq Armada E500 with 12GB Hard
    > Drive and 256MB RAM.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Old laptop here was winME and was also optionally avail with win2000.
    Bios upgrade and win2000 buttons & battery power management controls were
    the basic upgrade path to xp.
    xpsp2 home, format and installed, I forget exact but under 3gb install &
    trimmed to about 1.5gb after basic cleanup.
    Right now its 3.5gb maybe sparse in programs but runs mapped drive programs
    fine off the desktop hdd.

    "Howard" <DFM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for all your replies. I did mean Windows Me. Sorry for the
    > confusion.
    > I'll take your advise and not convert. The computer is coming up on 5
    > years
    > old and basically does what I need it to do. I have a desktop with XP.
    > --
    > Howard
    >

    > "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
    >
    >> "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> > In news:F0178B93-A25E-459D-8E1F-E27070750CB4@microsoft.com,
    >> > Howard <DFM@discussions.microsoft.com> replied with a ;-)

    >> > Forget it. Not enough hard drive space or ram.
    >> > --
    >> > Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    >>
    >> Right ;-)
    >>
    >> BTW I have XP Pro running nicely on a Compaq Armada E500 with 12GB Hard
    >> Drive and 256MB RAM.
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp