TECH: Correct Resistors on Interconnect Board

Mike

Splendid

OK I have 3 different system 11 games, actually 2 the Dr. Dude is WPC (Sorry
John W.) Anyway I have an Elvira and a Radical with minor flasher problems,
resistors are shot. Each game lists different resistor values for R1 thru
R12 and the actual value on the boards don't coincide with the manual. Most
of the resistors are factory fresh (for 15 years), but they are the wrong
value. So which is correct the board or the book ???? I always doubt printed
material even if they are from the factory because typos do happen, but then
again so do assembly errors

TIA
--
Mike S.
http://www.muddeatr.com

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:47:10 -0400, "Mike"
<muddeatrNO@SPAMcomcast.net> wrote:

>OK I have 3 different system 11 games, actually 2 the Dr. Dude is WPC (Sorry
>John W.) Anyway I have an Elvira and a Radical with minor flasher problems,
>resistors are shot. Each game lists different resistor values for R1 thru
>R12 and the actual value on the boards don't coincide with the manual. Most
>of the resistors are factory fresh (for 15 years), but they are the wrong
>value. So which is correct the board or the book ???? I always doubt printed
>material even if they are from the factory because typos do happen, but then
>again so do assembly errors

You might double-check the serial numbers on the boards, in case they
got swapped in from a different game.

The first set of digits correspond to the game ID number. Dr. Dude is
2016, Elvira is 2011, and Radical is 2015.

--
+-- Bill Ung --------------------------------------------+
| ÁTTÁCK FROM MÁRS: Come here, tasty human!! |

Mike

Splendid

All boards are original.

--
Mike S.
http://www.muddeatr.com

"Bill Ung" <ung@nospam.com*> wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:47:10 -0400, "Mike"
> <muddeatrNO@SPAMcomcast.net> wrote:
>
>>OK I have 3 different system 11 games, actually 2 the Dr. Dude is WPC
>>(Sorry
>>John W.) Anyway I have an Elvira and a Radical with minor flasher
>>problems,
>>resistors are shot. Each game lists different resistor values for R1 thru
>>R12 and the actual value on the boards don't coincide with the manual.
>>Most
>>of the resistors are factory fresh (for 15 years), but they are the wrong
>>value. So which is correct the board or the book ???? I always doubt
>>printed
>>material even if they are from the factory because typos do happen, but
>>then
>>again so do assembly errors
>
> You might double-check the serial numbers on the boards, in case they
> got swapped in from a different game.
>
> The first set of digits correspond to the game ID number. Dr. Dude is
> 2016, Elvira is 2011, and Radical is 2015.
>
> --
> +-- Bill Ung --------------------------------------------+
> | ÁTTÁCK FROM MÁRS: Come here, tasty human!! |
> | The ÁFM Mini-Saucer LED mod kits second run is coming |
> | soon!! R*FM Mini-Saucer LED kits are also on the way! |
> | Visit: http://www.ufopinball.com/ for more info... |
> +--------------------------------------------------------+

If you are positive and the board hasn't been tampered
with, go with the board. Schematics on WMS games
are almost always one game behind and incorrect.

The items most often affected by those resistors are
flash lamps.
--
Fred
TX

Mike wrote:

> OK I have 3 different system 11 games, actually 2 the Dr. Dude is WPC (Sorry
> John W.) Anyway I have an Elvira and a Radical with minor flasher problems,
> resistors are shot. Each game lists different resistor values for R1 thru
> R12 and the actual value on the boards don't coincide with the manual. Most
> of the resistors are factory fresh (for 15 years), but they are the wrong
> value. So which is correct the board or the book ???? I always doubt printed
> material even if they are from the factory because typos do happen, but then
> again so do assembly errors

You may need to study the game and trace out the circuit...the
difference may involve whether there is one flash lamp or several
being driven by the circuit. I haven't traced it out on a
regular System 11 board yet, but on my Banzai Run (which has a
unique interconnect board), the circuits that only flash one
#89 lamp have an 11-ohm 5-watt resistor, and the ones that
have two or three lamps use an 8-ohm 5-watt resistor. The
different lamps are slightly different in cold resistance too,
the #89's average 2.4 ohms, the #906 average 1.8 ohms, and the
#912 average 1.2 ohms. This may influence the resistor value
chosen as well, but that being said, you could probably get by
using the highest value resistor in any of the circuits...the
lamp(s) may just be slightly dimmer when "flashing".

--Bob

Bob Ellingson bobe@halted.com
Halted Specialties Co., Inc. http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)

Mike

Splendid

I just ordered the resistors needed. I chose to go with the manual because
the manual values were higher than what was on the board. Like you said
better to error on the high side.

--
Mike S.
http://www.muddeatr.com