gschultz

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2002
I'm planning to extensively upgrade the hardware on an existing machine--but I want to leave the hard drives alone. They are big, fast and current. I think MS has some sort of reregistration requirement for XP, but in addition to that, will other aspects of my currently installed software on the HD's go nuts when I plug the existing HD's into a dramatically upgraded system?

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
If you upgrade a lot of components at once, XP won't boot, you'll get a blue screen; if you take a hard drive that has XP installed, plug it into another computer with different hardwares, XP won't boot, you'll get a blue screen.

<A HREF="http://evilcity.com/" target="_new">The city of evilness...</A>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
are you just planning to put the new drives in as storage rather than having the o/s on ? if so, just plug em in!

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

gschultz

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2002
Actually, I was hoping I could reattach the existing drive containing Win XP, have it read the new hardware and take off running again. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to reformat drives and reinstall XP and all programs. Any way around it?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
putting a drive containing an os into a totally different pc will lead to problems, thats without bothering about re activating xp

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Back up all your important stuff to one drive. Reformat and clean install XP on the other drive. Then retrieve all your stuff that you backed up.

<font color=blue>GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.</font color=blue>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"I'm planning to extensively upgrade the hardware on an existing machine--but I want to leave the hard drives alone"

That's like getting sentenced to a federal penetentary, and expecting to do your 10 years without getting raped.

Sure, there's a chance. You'll also win the lottery while you're in there too.

P4's @ 3600Mhz ()wNz J00 4LL!!!!!!