We've just purchased a new laptop and would like to be able to print from our
Lexmark printer (attached to a desktop pc) that is in another room. All
attempts to "add another printer" have been futile. I can't seem to locate a
printer when I "browse" for one and have no idea what the URL is for our
Lexmark. Can someone help me please ?
Thanks !

Is the printer actually shared?

Go to the Control Panel and click on Printers & Faxes. Right click on the
Printer and select Sharing... ensure you share it out... if not, no one else
can see it!

If all the PCs are using XP:

http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20five.htm
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"CriSys" <CriSys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We've just purchased a new laptop and would like to be able to print from
> our
> Lexmark printer (attached to a desktop pc) that is in another room. All
> attempts to "add another printer" have been futile. I can't seem to
> locate a
> printer when I "browse" for one and have no idea what the URL is for our
> Lexmark. Can someone help me please ?
> Thanks !

Start, Help and Support, Share Printer.

CriSys wrote:

> We've just purchased a new laptop and would like to be able to print from our
> Lexmark printer (attached to a desktop pc) that is in another room. All
> attempts to "add another printer" have been futile. I can't seem to locate a
> printer when I "browse" for one and have no idea what the URL is for our
> Lexmark. Can someone help me please ?
> Thanks !

Sorry Bob I, that didn't do the trick. But thanks.

"Bob I" wrote:

> Start, Help and Support, Share Printer.
>
> CriSys wrote:
>
> > We've just purchased a new laptop and would like to be able to print from our
> > Lexmark printer (attached to a desktop pc) that is in another room. All
> > attempts to "add another printer" have been futile. I can't seem to locate a
> > printer when I "browse" for one and have no idea what the URL is for our
> > Lexmark. Can someone help me please ?
> > Thanks !

Did you click on the appropriate links in the left pane and follow the
instructions in the right hand pane?
CriSys wrote:

> Sorry Bob I, that didn't do the trick. But thanks.
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>Start, Help and Support, Share Printer.
>>
>>CriSys wrote:
>>

>>>We've just purchased a new laptop and would like to be able to print from our
>>>Lexmark printer (attached to a desktop pc) that is in another room. All
>>>attempts to "add another printer" have been futile. I can't seem to locate a
>>>printer when I "browse" for one and have no idea what the URL is for our
>>>Lexmark. Can someone help me please ?
>>>Thanks !

Yes I did, but it didn't work.

"Bob I" wrote:

> Did you click on the appropriate links in the left pane and follow the
> instructions in the right hand pane?
> CriSys wrote:
>
> > Sorry Bob I, that didn't do the trick. But thanks.
> >
> > "Bob I" wrote:
> >

> >>Start, Help and Support, Share Printer.

Yes I did, but no luck.

CriSys wrote:
> We've just purchased a new laptop and would like to be able to print from our
> Lexmark printer (attached to a desktop pc) that is in another room. All
> attempts to "add another printer" have been futile. I can't seem to locate a
> printer when I "browse" for one and have no idea what the URL is for our
> Lexmark. Can someone help me please ?
> Thanks !

Are you running the XP SP2 firewall and, if you are, have you opened up
File and printer sharing in the fw?

Is the printer shared ?, If you open the Printers applet in Control Panel
does the Lexmark icon have a "Hand" under it (Denotes shared resource).
Check this on the desktop system, which would serve the printer to other
PCs on the same workgroup.

> Yes I did, but no luck.
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>
>> Did you click on the appropriate links in the left pane and follow the
>> instructions in the right hand pane?
>> CriSys wrote:
>>
>> > Sorry Bob I, that didn't do the trick. But thanks.

woody

Stupid question but how are you connecting the computers. Router, direct,
etc. Let us know.

Woody

"CriSys" <CriSys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We've just purchased a new laptop and would like to be able to print from
> our
> Lexmark printer (attached to a desktop pc) that is in another room. All
> attempts to "add another printer" have been futile. I can't seem to
> locate a
> printer when I "browse" for one and have no idea what the URL is for our
> Lexmark. Can someone help me please ?
> Thanks !

weston

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2005

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> Is the printer actually shared?
> Go to the Control Panel and click on Printers & Faxes. Right click on the
> Printer and select Sharing... ensure you share it out... if not, no one else
> can see it!
> If all the PCs are using XP:
> http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20five.htm
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging

I've made a medium-sized problem huge by trying to get my laptop to be able
to print on the computer that's connected to my desktop--and it's taken me
more than two hours to do it. My printer was originally configured by a tech
person in my home, and I don't know if he ever did set up my new laptop to
use the printer.

Following the directions, I tried rpeatedly and failed. Eventually, I
changed the name of the desktop printer in order to try to get the name of
the printer to be the same on both the desktop and the laptop, and now my
printer is printing out gibberish. I finally removed the printers listed on
the laptop. One problem was that I didn't know whether to highlight Gateway
(desktop), Laptop, MSHome, or MS Network when doing the Wizard on the laptop.
I'm at square one.

weston

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2005

Both my desktop and my laptop are now printing fine!

It was something small that I was missing. In the Wizard, where it asks,
"What printer do you want to connect to?" I was checking Browse for a
Printer, instead of the next one that says "Connect to this printer (or to
browse for a printer, select this option, and click Next).

Then the name of my printer came up and I was done.