Question for Tom

Tyberius

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
Im not even sure if Tom still operates this website, but if so, I have a question, if not for you then for your THG staff. After reading Omid Rahmat's recent article http://www20.tomshardware.com/column/20040218/index.html about Intel's x86-64 xeons...Id like to ask, exactly how much is Intel paying THG? That was the most biased piece of crap Ive ever read....

"There is nothing finer than raising the hackles of delusional AMD lovers. However, today I do so with a heavy heart. This is no time to take aim at the pompous, self-righteous head-in-the-sand-ostriches of the alternative chip lifestyle. One must embrace them, hug them and wipe away their tears.
They are the freaks of low-cost computing, the poor, downtrodden users of products that never seem to be able to match PR numbers to actual performance, now almost beaten into marginality for all time."

I happen to work for an unnamed online hardware review site, and generally find it in my best interest to not poke and prod, deliberately, at Intel or AMD. Not saying you dont have a right to your opinion, by all means, fanboy all you like. I just find it a very poor example of journalism, if I can even call it that to make unbased, fanboy articles meant to provoke AMD fans abroad...wouldnt be as bad if it werent for the fact that THG is widely viewed in the more 1337 hardware society as the most Intel-biased, soldout, waste of 01011101 on magnetic platters being hosted on the WWW. So please Omid, embrace me, hug me, and wipe away my tears of disgust at your poor waste of webspace. I hope your paycheck from the THG/Intel Corp. wipes away YOUR tears, sellout.

Coop

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
Id like to ask, exactly how much is Intel paying THG?
I would like to know also, i`m sure he is getting money, well if he diddnt got any money he is even a bigger IDIOT.
Dooing this for free ????? getting a name like Tom aka Jerry springer site ? think not...
Tom, i hope you can sleep living with this, you people make me sick !

Toms Hardware Site is a joke !

Snap

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
That's a f$$king disgrace!

But usually things like that slap (no pun intended) back in your face...
And don't you know that...?

Just proves so many people right...
Ugh...

Tyberius

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
I think what he meant was that article was a disgrace...what I found amusing was Tom's review of the Athlon 64 3400+, where his intel setups were running tight timings, 2-2-2-5 and his A64 and his Athlon XP systems were running really crappy timings. I think someone posted here about it, and was answered that he couldnt get them stable. Funny, considering I have both Athlon 64 and Athlon XP systems, both which I can run at 2-2-2-5, where Ive heard the majority of RAM wont run on a dual-channel P4 setups with a RAS-CAS latency less than 3, you generally have to have really good ram to run 2-2-2-5 on an intel dual channel. Enjoy this thread while it lasts, as soon as THG finds out we're not happy with their recent articles, they'll just kill the thread, dont want anyone to know the truth...

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
1) Omid is just a columnist/editor, and his opinions are generally met with derision by everyone; He doesn't really speak for THG itself.
2) There has since apparently been a counterpoint article anyway, although I haven't bothered reading it myself;
3) The whole 'Toms in Intels pockets' argument has been flogged to death; particularly by Coop, who I've never seen actually contribute <i>anything</i> which didn't have that suggestion in it;
4) No-one in these forums really gives a flying toss about the main THG site, generally they're just here for the forums, so you're kinda preaching to the wrong people anyhow (They review <i>games</i> fgs - and even those months after they've been released!);
5) The only instances I've known of anyone deleting threads in this community were not actually so - a moderator MOVED a few threads to a different forum, so suggestions that this thread will be deleted are paranoid crap.

There's actually a Poll in the Polls section which is titled 'Should Tom Fire Omid?' Go Vote on it if you like.

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

Tyberius

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
1) I also work for a hardware review site, and I feel that when i publish articles, I am speaking for my company, thats whos name is at the top of the page when you read one of my articles anyway....
2) I dont really care if there is a counterpoint, I dont ever read this crap from THG unless is it pointed out from another forum or site, as the article in question was.
3)Think theres any particular reason why its been flogged to death? I thought his Athlon64 3400 review was an outrage, you must rule out as many variables as possible when comparing two different procs, especially something as blatent as memory timings. Not to mention his wonderful Athlon 64 overclocking attempt, what an idiot. Yet he goes balls to the walls to get his Pentium 4 to 5ghz, had he put 3% of the effort and done some research on the Athlon64, he could have yielded much better results.
4)If I could preach on Tom's front page, believe me I would, but unfortunately, this is the only place he leaves for commentary, so here i am.
5) I know of someone on my other forum who specifically drew attention to the timings ordeal, and it is gone, he searched everywhere, no go.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
1) Fair enough point, but again, there was a counterpoint shortly afterwards.

2)
I dont really care if there is a counterpoint...
So you don't care about what articles the site has. but you <i>do</i> care enough about the article you've posted about, or you wouldn't have posted. Seems a bit hypocritical to me. If you read the site, you see both sides. If you purposefully ignore half of what it says, then that sticks you in the same blinkered bracket as our dear misguided Omid. :wink:

3)Yes, his A64 review was unfair, but I don't feel the inclination to post that the earth is round & not flat. that's what I was saying about it being flogged to death. there's plenty of other posts on the topic. Although to be fair the original post was directed at the Omid rant which is still comparatively fresh flaming fuel...

4)If you like, but perhaps such a general point should maybe not go in the CPU forum? you get a lot of requests for help & recommendations here....

5)As for the nazi-like censorship, I just did a quick forum search and found plenty of posts still on here which critisise Tom's A64 reviews, one of which actually mentions Anandtech in the thread title - So if they were in the habit of deleting threads they've decided to leave one which not <i>only</i> contains criticism of THG, but also is blatantly advertising a competitor? sounds like a strange censoring policy to me...

---
<font color=red>Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.</font color=red> :wink:

Tyberius

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
it might have been differnt had the point and counter point article been posted together, as in the same article, then perhaps it couldve made more sense, but REGARDLESS of whether or not there was a counterpoint article published, it doesnt change the content of the original article. And to make a "fair" counterpoint they wouldve had to have made a counter-intel bashing article, which obviously wouldnt help any. Something to the rhyme of "Number-monkey innefficient overpriced silicon" perhaps. What I'm saying is regardless of there being an article to show that they werent just AMD bashing, they still were AMD bashing, dont care how many apologetic articles are published in rebutle, the original article still exists. I told my editor-in-chief about this and asked (sarcastically) if I could write up a similar piece ripping apart intel. He said absolutely not, whether it be AMD or Intel, why would one alienate a large portion of ones reader base just to get ones jollies off and pimp their silicon of choice? He specifically titled a portion of his article "Irking AMD Lovers" I enjoy AMD proccesors, I enjoy Intel, but using AMD processors according to him makes me a "poor, downtrodden, pompous, self-righteous head-in-the-sand-ostrich of the alternative chip lifestyle" Simply bad business, and to imply that because I use AMD im of the "alternative chip lifestyle"? I bet he thinks he's clever using that....

I would like to know also, i`m sure he is getting money, well if he diddnt got any money he is even a bigger IDIOT.
Dooing this for free ????? getting a name like Tom aka Jerry springer site ? think not...
Tom, i hope you can sleep living with this, you people make me sick !

Does AMD pay you to spew your bullshit? No? Then hello Pot, Kettle says it's very nice to meet you.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
On the point of this sites A64 reviews. The review on this site used the MSI K8T NEO motherboard for that review, yet they said they couldnt get it stable @ low latency. Why then am I sitting here with my athlon 64 3200 @ 213mhz on my MSI K8T neo with 2-3-3-6 timings on cheap twinmos memory that wouldnt do more than 206mhz cas 2.5 on my barton rig......

Totally prime stable aswell...

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7584476" target="_new"> My rig </A>

SpaceDonkey

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
and generally find it in my best interest to not poke and prod, deliberately, at Intel or AMD.

Dude, get a clue ! Its articles like that that get you traffic !

---------------------------------------------------
I am severly limited in what my mind can perceive.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Dude, get a clue ! Its articles like that that get you traffic !
I bet if Omid posts a nude pic inside his editorial, then it will get much more traffic.

----------------
Please vote in this poll: <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=39560#39560" target="_new">Should Tom Fire Omid?</A>

Oh and incidentally coop, you may want to learn to read.

You keep addressing Tom, but Tom's not here. It's Omid you should be addressing.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Tyberius

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
Yes, but thats tabloid like manuevers, if he were a good editor, he wouldnt have to use tactics like that to get traffic. I havent ever had issues getting traffic writing legit, unbiased articles that are actually useful to people.

Tyberius

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
I dont feel that I should represent my site in anyway when I'm openly showing disdain for another site. I'd prefer to keep my own personal opinions completely seperate from my work. If I'm working under my sites name, it must go through my editor-in-chief, gotta keep business and pleasure seperate.

poncho

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
Right....... And did I ever tell you Im a secret agent, I just cant tell you who I work for ..... because then I'd have to kill you!

Stupid bug.......you go squish now!

Tyberius

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
No, I dont tell out of respect for the company that I work for. These are my opinions, and I dont wish to represent my site when stating harsh honest ridicule of another online site. Unlike our "friend" Omid....

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Enjoy this thread while it lasts, as soon as THG finds out we're not happy with their recent articles, they'll just kill the thread, dont want anyone to know the truth...
thread's still here.

You can say a lot about THWG, and about the forums but not that they are censoring them.

I totally agree it was a worthless piece by Omid (not because of his bias, but because there was nothing factual in it) but I guess it's Omid who's damaged most by it. Who is going to take one of his future pieces at face value?

BigMac

<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/product_center_NWO_The_Story.asp" target="_new">New World Order</A>

Tyberius

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
Well then, i was misinformed about the censorship here. And I'd have to absolutely agree about Omid, no one will ever take his words seriously, talk about a career decision with that article...

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why even bother bringing up your "company website" if your speaking from your own personal opinions. Do you think saying that you work for some tech website gives you some higher state of respectability? The fact that you brought up said site and offer no grounds to back it up make you look like an even bigger fake. Also since you haven't actually read most of the articles on this site you wouldn't know about all the articles that really made Intel look bad. The most damning to intel by far would have been to be the P3 1133 article. So before you start directing more flames and preaching THG is Intels performing monkey do a little research so you don't look like such a an A$$.

<pre> /\
|| (-: Fun with ASCII :)
/\/\||/\/|
\ /
\______/
| |
| |
</pre><p>Thats not a bug, its an undocumented feature....

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Post number 327 on why THG is biased.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=745781941" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=745781941</A>
43k mark. 85 dollars went a long way.

Tyberius

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
If you were actually listening to what I was talking about, you'd see my point wasnt to brag about working for a review site or that it gives me some respect, because it doesnt. My point was that when I DO write for my site, I AM representing them and the trash that Omid wrote reflects badly upon THG. I dont name my own site for this exact reason, because my posting here was meant to reflect my own personal feelings about that ridiculous article and being insulted by it. Had Omid published the article on his own accord, I wouldve just laughed it off, but because hes writing under THG, he's representing THG. I dont understand why an editor would allow that tripe to be published but in doing so hes damned himself. I didnt say that THG was always biased, I dont care of previous articles, what I'm talking about here was Omid's article. I dont normally even read THG, only when funny things such as this are pointed out to me, as I dont view the site as a credible nor useful resource. I dont need to prove anything, for I already know, and dont really care whether or not you believe me. I also dont need to prove anything to a child who thinks he is clever by making a stupid ASCII drawing, grow up and suck it up pal.