Mismatch the ram Types on the system board??

ces

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

All,
I was wondering if someone could help with a Memory Type issue? I have a ThinkPad A31p that uses PC2100 DDR SODIMM Memory, I know I can use PC2700 Ram on the System but Can I mismatch the ram on the system board ie:: us PC2100 in one slot and PC2700 / PC3200 in the other?

Thanks in advance - CES

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

What did IBM tech support say when you asked them?

CES wrote:

> All,
> I was wondering if someone could help with a Memory Type issue? I have a
> ThinkPad A31p that uses PC2100 DDR SODIMM Memory, I know I can use
> PC2700 Ram on the System but Can I mismatch the ram on the system board
> ie:: us PC2100 in one slot and PC2700 / PC3200 in the other?
>
> Thanks in advance - CES

80% of the time, that will cause problems.
<uses best Dirty Harry voice>
Do ya feel lucky?

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> What did IBM tech support say when you asked them?
>
> CES wrote:
>
>> All,
>> I was wondering if someone could help with a Memory Type issue? I have a
>> ThinkPad A31p that uses PC2100 DDR SODIMM Memory, I know I can use PC2700
>> Ram on the System but Can I mismatch the ram on the system board ie:: us
>> PC2100 in one slot and PC2700 / PC3200 in the other?
>>
>> Thanks in advance - CES

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

What does the manual say? Generally the lowest speed one needs to be the first one installed, then the high speed one will run at the slower speed. But your manual will address your specific question.

"CES" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:_IlVe.31275$%w.19610@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> All,
> I was wondering if someone could help with a Memory Type issue? I have a ThinkPad A31p that uses PC2100 DDR SODIMM Memory, I know I can use PC2700 Ram on the System but Can I mismatch the ram on the system board ie:: us PC2100 in one slot and PC2700 / PC3200 in the other?
>
> Thanks in advance - CES

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On the A31P that should not be a problem.
There is a chart on the IBM site that shows you the mix and match
combos, there is one model, possibly a certain T40, that it says you
can not mix