Acer Aspire vs Dell Vostro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komomu

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Once again I am here and I found another contender and it is from Acer:

http://www.buy.com/prod/acer-aspire-7740g-6364-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i5-430m-2-26ghz-4gb/q/loc/101/214281790.html

I have previously found out the the "best" laptop for my budget was the Dell vostro because it had the Core i5-430M as well as the Nvidia GT-330M and was priced around $840 but the acer has a much better graphics card and the resolution is better I realized that the acer doesn't have the finger print reader (which isn't much of a problem) nor the anti-glare screen.

Can someone please tell me why the acer is so much cheaper?

and also if anyone can find benchmarks of the ATI 5650 on a resolution of 1600X900 bcause I know it can handle 1366X7xx I just want to know if I would have to drop the textures and stuff if I play games like gta 4

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
finger print readers are overrated - unless you need it to pad your ego.

If you do have information valuable enough to need protection by biometrics, a finger print reader is not going to do the job. They are easily bypassed. It is more of a "look at my cool laptop that makes me look like James Bond"

Please don't let that be a deciding factor for which laptop to go with.

The Acer is probably cheaper than the Dell because it does not have as much brand recognition. Although certain models of Acer laptops have shoddy construction, you can spend the difference in price on extended warranties.

GTA 4 will run smoothly. That graphics card should perform just fine.

Komomu

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009

The only reason why I would want the finger print reader is because it makes logging in easier but then it doesn't matter to me because it would make the laptop more expensive, I don't even need bluetooth but I realized I need enough money to feel comfortable in buying a laptop. The acer is actually sold of @ amazon. So I'm not getting one soon.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
finger reader over performance? r u serious,,,the only thing fp is good at is looking cool in james bond movies in the early 90's

computers are made the same way, by the same materials using the same techniques they differ in the plastic color and the size but what is important is
the performance in cpu, ram and gpu the only 3 factors u focus your comparison on

I would however take the one with anti glare if the performance is not much because u will want to use it in your balcony one day? or near your window? or in the train? and antiglare is brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies.