HP : Xeon vs Opteron, and the winner is...

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Read this :
<A HREF="http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/benchmarks/dl145-webbench.pdf" target="_new">http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/benchmarks/dl145-webbench.pdf</A>

Opteron kick ass in this benchmark!

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

Coop

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
Dont think Intel/Dell can laugh with this.
Potential buyers with a brain will al choose an Opteron system over an Xeon system.
Dell will lose customers.

Toms Hardware Site is a joke !

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Potential buyers with a brain will al choose an Opteron system over an Xeon system.
Dell will lose customers.
The problem for AMD is not the performance, it's reputation and politics. In manu business, IT departement decisions are driven by politics. The results is not necessarly what people would expect.

It's why I'm not sure that DELL is doing so bad by not offering Opteron, because they sell a lot of PC/server to business that cares more about support/warranty than performance.

And I'm pretty sure DELL/Intel have a patnerships that involve a lot of money and conditions. They have probably fulltime lawyers for this partnership. :smile:

The only thing that would hurt DELL is if actual/future customer ask for Opteron systems. Or if their actual customers starts to buy HP/IBM Opteron systems. Then, DELL would have more pressure to sell AMD chips.

--

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Amazing.. well, not the performance, but this reads like a AMD PR document ! Seems like HP is very serious about opteron.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

EugeneMc

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2003
The problem for AMD is not the performance, it's reputation and politics. In manu business, IT departement decisions are driven by politics. The results is not necessarly what people would expect.

It's why I'm not sure that DELL is doing so bad by not offering Opteron, because they sell a lot of PC/server to business that cares more about support/warranty than performance.
IBM, HP; Dell, Fujitsu, etc gives support/warranty, not Intel or AMD. So, I think IT departement want IBM, HP, Sun etc servers. If HP, IBM, Sun, Fujitsu tells them: here you have, Opteron server, outstanding perfomance and our support/warranty, then they will say ok, I buy 10, 100, 50 HP, IBM, Sun Opteron servers.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by eugeneMC on 02/25/04 09:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
IBM, HP; Dell, Fujitsu, etc gives support/warranty, not Intel or AMD. So, I think IT departement want IBM, HP, Sun etc servers. If HP tells them: here you have, Opteron server, outstanding perfomance and our support/warranty, then they will say ok, I buy 10, 100, 50 HP, IBM, Sun Opteron servers.
I partially agree with you. Let's say your company have a support deal with DELL and you need to buy a couple of new server. You might recommend to buy Opteron based servers because they are better performer. But you would need to sign a new support deal with a new company. This support extra money might offset the performance advantage of the Opteron systems. Because of your DELL deal, the support/warranty for your new Xeon systems would be near 0$.

I'm not sure I'm clear... I wish so :smile:

--

InkSpot

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2004
Think i read somewhere that Intel Actually liked HP's descission as it keeps the antitrust authorities away. At some point there is room for 2 profitable contestants...one small and one large.

The HP Proliant145 enjoys the same support as the Xeon counterparts.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
At my job 5 new small server get in the building i will let you guess what were inside.I will let you guess that they use only 1 OEM and only 1 CPU manufacture and that wont change soon.

At my school and the 1 before

All my teacher were not liking amd wont even look at there product they just dont care intel is there it work well and certification is for intel platform.Intel will have certification for there server unlike AMD.

You can go at suse.com look at crtification for SLES for opteron.If you find some give me the link.

Also that is webbase server again that been show many time that opteron is very good with that.That some option that show P4 in better light.

i need to change useur name.