Printer failure

S1W1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Hello,
Whenever I try to print, my printer (HP c5180) prints the top part of the page, then stops and starts to print random characters on a new page. I have enlosed some scans of the document I last tried to print.

It occassionaly prints the first page fine, yet the next pages will then only half print, like in the scan.

This has only started to happen in the last few weeks and I believe my drivers are up to date.

Page 1

Page 2

I have to cancel the print or it prints loads of pages containing wierd characters.

Many thanks in advance.

What kind of cable are you using and how long is it? If USB and it's over 6ft, get a shorter cable. You can get a USB cable online cheap, worth trying a different cable http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270096. Does this happen with all types of documents or only PDFs or something?

Have you tried to totally wipe out the drivers and re-install them? HP has a patch or 2 out, have you installed those? Did you use the drivers from the disk or the website.

S1W1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I'm using the cable that came with the printer and it's pretty short. It always worked in the past.
As far as I'm aware the problem happens with all types- certainly both PDFS and Word documents.

I'll try wiping the drivers and get back to you.
Thanks again

S1W1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

Thanks hang-the-9, wiping and reinstalling the drivers seems to have fixed the problem.
I probably should have tried that before I started the thread.. anyway thanks for the help.