Pic of Stern GrandPrix

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 11, 2005 1:26:49 AM

A pic of Stern's Grand Prix is now up at:
http://www.parts4pinballs.com/

Shows the game's cabinet and backbox artwork nicely. Thanks to the
guys from Parts4pinballs for providing this sneak peak.

Todd "GravitaR"

More about : pic stern grandprix

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:51:50 AM

How do we get one in the United States?

"Todd" <gravitar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> A pic of Stern's Grand Prix is now up at:
> http://www.parts4pinballs.com/
>
> Shows the game's cabinet and backbox artwork nicely. Thanks to the
> guys from Parts4pinballs for providing this sneak peak.
>
> Todd "GravitaR"
August 11, 2005 2:43:38 AM

<<Now the chrome trim around the backbox looks like a Wible mod if ever
I saw one. :-o>>

Why? It's trim that inset into slots built into the entire front
backbox edge, they've been using this for a while. Not exactly stuck
on there with goop. Plus it's base is rubber so keeps the backbox
itself from getting dinged up (but if the trim does manage to get
damaged which is not easy, you can just replace one of the four
strips.)
Frenchy
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:53:19 AM

"Todd" <gravitar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> A pic of Stern's Grand Prix is now up at:
> http://www.parts4pinballs.com/
>
> Shows the game's cabinet and backbox artwork nicely. Thanks to the
> guys from Parts4pinballs for providing this sneak peak.
>
> Todd "GravitaR"

Now, that I like much better - similar but significantly different. I'm just
not fond of the NASCAR motif. The Grand Prix version is nice and generic and
isn't plastered in brand names.

C'mon Stern - for us home users in US/Canada who want this particular
version, LET US BUY IT ALREADY!

- Daniel
August 11, 2005 2:54:02 AM

I don't necessarily think it looks better (they both look prety good)
but it is ALMOST an unlicensed game like lots of people have been
whining for. I agree they should have made these available here too,
why limit the US to only one of two machines that are both desireable
themes and roll off the same assembly line? If this game is a player,
I can see it becoming a collector game over here due to limited
availability (at the outset anyway).
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:04:22 AM

> A pic of Stern's Grand Prix is now up at:
> http://www.parts4pinballs.com/
>
> Shows the game's cabinet and backbox artwork nicely. Thanks to the
> guys from Parts4pinballs for providing this sneak peak.

Ok I like the graphics on the GP alot better. Also, I noticed cabinet
protectors around the flipper buttons...is this something new??? Now the
chrome trim around the backbox looks like a Wible mod if ever I saw one. :-o

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu
------------------------------­--------------
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:02:43 AM

Grand Prix not for sale in the USA?
here in Europe we can order a Nascar or a Grand Prix ! :-)

Pascal from www.flipperfarm.be
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:45:22 AM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:26:49 -0700, Todd <gravitar@hotmail.com> wrote:

>A pic of Stern's Grand Prix is now up at:
>http://www.parts4pinballs.com/
>
>Shows the game's cabinet and backbox artwork nicely. Thanks to the
>guys from Parts4pinballs for providing this sneak peak.

Not available in the US??? ARG!!! That's _so_ much nicer!
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:17:55 AM

Have to agree, looks better then NASCAR in my opinion. To bad they are all
going overseas.

JV

"Todd" <gravitar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>A pic of Stern's Grand Prix is now up at:
> http://www.parts4pinballs.com/
>
> Shows the game's cabinet and backbox artwork nicely. Thanks to the
> guys from Parts4pinballs for providing this sneak peak.
>
> Todd "GravitaR"
August 11, 2005 10:14:12 AM

That looks soooooo much better than NASCAR. If its a good player's
game it might have been my first NIB - had it been available in the
USA. Oh well, can't wait for WPT (Richie/Johnson) anyway. That will
be the first NIB.

John
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:27:02 AM

I don't see a problem. The "Ferrari" in front has a lot of black and
even if it was all red, the shape of the car is quite different than a
real Ferrari F1 car. In other words, it's just a red and black formula
one-resembling car. The gray car looks a bit like a McLaren, because of
the Viking "horns", but other than that, the colours and shape are
different. The yellow car could be a Jordan, but only because it's
yellow. It even has the typical McLaren horns on it.

Even if the F1-guys would have a case, I don't think they will bother,
because this does not harm them in any way. They currently have other
things on their mind, like refunding everyone who went to the
Indianapolis fiasco, and trying to improve the image of F1 in the US.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:59:15 AM

> Why? It's trim that inset into slots built into the entire front
> backbox edge, they've been using this for a while. Not exactly stuck
> on there with goop. Plus it's base is rubber so keeps the backbox
> itself from getting dinged up (but if the trim does manage to get
> damaged which is not easy, you can just replace one of the four
> strips.)

I'm just not a "chrome trim" guy sorry. I know they use the same in a black
rubber T-moulding...they should stick with that. That rubberized chrome
trim is tacky IMHO...nothing more, regardless on how it's attached.

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu
August 11, 2005 3:02:49 PM

Phil Dixon wrote:
> getit while you can. F1 Lawyers will be all over this.
> That centre car could be a Ferrari and the 2 either side are McLaren
> http://www.origo.hu/i/0502/20050209mclaren1.jpg

I wouldn't worry. Video games use cars that look like famous cars all
the time with no problems. I'm sure Stern did their homework on the
issue.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:06:05 PM

>They currently have other
> things on their mind, like refunding everyone who went to the
> Indianapolis fiasco, and trying to improve the image of F1 in the US.

Michelin is footing that bill.

The image however, to improve that in the US the drivers need to race each
other. Where you qualify is where you finish the race isn't cutting it for
the average US race fan. They need passing on the track. Currently the
only passing going on is occasionally in the pits. F1, technically amazing
but when it comes to racing it is low down in the ranks, and has been for
over a decade now.

Doug
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:35:00 PM

> I don't necessarily think it looks better (they both look prety good)

I thought Nascar looked way too garish. That's in the spirit of the
thing, of course, but still...

> but it is ALMOST an unlicensed game like lots of people have been
> whining for.

It is an unliscensed game, in the "old school" style of non-liscensing,
that saw "Beat Time", "Wizard", and so forth.
August 11, 2005 7:27:13 PM

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:06:05 -0400, dugmar wrote:

>>They currently have other
>> things on their mind, like refunding everyone who went to the
>> Indianapolis fiasco, and trying to improve the image of F1 in the US.
>

> Michelin is footing that bill.
>
> The image however, to improve that in the US the drivers need to race each
> other. Where you qualify is where you finish the race isn't cutting it for
> the average US race fan. They need passing on the track. Currently the
> only passing going on is occasionally in the pits. F1, technically amazing
> but when it comes to racing it is low down in the ranks, and has been for
> over a decade now.

amen. thank god for mythtv's 1.5x speedup (mythtv is a tivo-like-app, the
speedup speeds the video and shifts the sound back down so it doesn't
sound high-pitched. think ffwd with audio) that and the ad skip lets me
get through a f1 race in 1/2 the time

MotoGP on the other hand just plain rocks. best racing on TV.

henri
August 11, 2005 8:19:52 PM

<<It is an unliscensed game, in the "old school" style of
non-liscensing,
that saw "Beat Time", "Wizard", and so forth. >>

I suppose so... in fact Williams already did an EM in the 70's called
Grand Prix didn't they?
August 11, 2005 8:25:07 PM

<<I'm just not a "chrome trim" guy sorry. I know they use the same in
a black
rubber T-moulding...they should stick with that. That rubberized
chrome
trim is tacky IMHO...nothing more, regardless on how it's attached. >>

Could probably easily replace it with some plain black they use on
video games, and still get the impact protection.
Or buff it with some emery board so it looks like stainless steel to
matches the door... oops, the rails... oops... the leg bolts? ; )
Hmm they still using bright trim on Harley I see, nice....
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 8:44:28 PM

MUCH better than the Nascar version - Q
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:03:47 PM

You are right on Daniel! I fully agree with you - I'd be much more
likely to buy a Grand Prix than a NASCAR (assuming it's a good game).
Regardless, it's nice to see SOME sort of non-licensed game come back,
even if it's not destined for the U.S.

Mike
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:23:16 PM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:51:50 -0500, Mike Nogle <msnogle@comcast.net> wrote:
> How do we get one in the United States?

Wait a little while and you'll see KAWeaver and FUN importing them in the
containers.

--
| David Gersic http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com |
| Z.I.S.es: Zero Information Statements. |

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! Give the man a cigar as he nailed
this one right on the head.

David Stein wrote:
> I think you guys are suffering from can't have it syndrome where by it looks
> so much better to you.
> From our point it looks dull and bland versus Nascar "we" can't have that
> looks bright and out there. Classic John Youssi artwork versus plain grey
> cabinet with decals. Look again at the stand out machine and have a second
> think.
> "Matt S." <mstar@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Phil Dixon wrote:
> > > getit while you can. F1 Lawyers will be all over this.
> > > That centre car could be a Ferrari and the 2 either side are McLaren
> > > http://www.origo.hu/i/0502/20050209mclaren1.jpg
> >
> > I wouldn't worry. Video games use cars that look like famous cars all
> > the time with no problems. I'm sure Stern did their homework on the
> > issue.

August 12, 2005 12:20:01 AM

Sorry, wrong Dave. I hate NASCAR plain and simple. GP looks much
better to me just the same way a Playboy machine would look better than
a Playgirl machine. NASCAR has no class and GP does. I prefere the
subtle GP look to the comercial NASCAR look. GP is true racing. Also,
I was way more interested in GP long before I heard it was not going to
be available in the USA. Go back to your theory drawing board...

John
August 12, 2005 10:15:44 AM

GP was not an afterthought. They had two seperate art teams working on
this project from day one - according to what I have read.

John
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:24:15 AM

Mike Schudel wrote:
> > MacMan (Whose favourite Lawlor game is Roadshow because Red takes the
> > balls in her mouth!)
>
> Eeeeeeewwwwww!!! Wow...that was a leap of topics! :-)
>
> But you know on RS and in FH...so do Ted and Rudy. :-o

Yeah, but Rudy has the good sense to _puke_ it up. Red just says
another annoying bee-yatch line. :)
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:26:39 AM

Mike Schudel wrote:
> > A pic of Stern's Grand Prix is now up at:
> > http://www.parts4pinballs.com/
> >
> > Shows the game's cabinet and backbox artwork nicely. Thanks to the
> > guys from Parts4pinballs for providing this sneak peak.
>
> Ok I like the graphics on the GP alot better. Also, I noticed cabinet
> protectors around the flipper buttons...is this something new???

Something new starting with NASCAR, yes.

Apparently people got tired of breaking into the cabinets via the coin
door, and instead started popping the flipper buttons off and going to
town with a jigsaw.

:)
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:27:47 AM

Phil Dixon wrote:
> getit while you can. F1 Lawyers will be all over this.
> That centre car could be a Ferrari and the 2 either side are McLaren
> http://www.origo.hu/i/0502/20050209mclaren1.jpg

Pfft. "red car with open wheels" is not an F1 trademark.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:35:21 AM

MacMan wrote:
> Nearly everyone who has replied has a problem with the 'theme' of
> Nacscar not the artwork. From a distance it looks to me like they don't
> like being associated to the
> beer-drinking-wife-beating-trailer-living-trash.

And man, if you thought there were ugly people at the department of
motor vehicles, HOLY COW don't go to a _real_ nascar race! (shudder!!)
They make the guys who run SuperAuctions look _clean_ and _well_
_behaved_!

> The GP artwork looks sterile to me. I prefer Nascar but living in
> Australia we don't have the same association with it!

Honestly, I can't quite understand it. Maybe it's the way I took the
pictures (with a flash... duuuh), I dunno. Yeah, the NASCAR logo is
garish, but the rest of the art looks pretty good.

I had the same reaction when I saw the GP art, especially the cabinet
front. I'd probably walk right by it; doesn't do _anything_ to draw me
in. (And that's weird; I tend to really love Youssi's stuff!)

> Can't wait to play one! I love Pat's work and this eems to be his best
> for a while!

I can easily say it's Pat's _best_ game in YEARS! ;)
August 12, 2005 12:07:50 PM

I went to one NASCAR race last year and I took my two twin nephews, but
I don't think I would do it again. I like watching them on TV, but boy
we were about 10 rows back from the track after turn 4 and it was A)
too damn loud B) can't see what car is which because they are going so
fast past you AND the wall blocking half of the track in front of you
C) lots of exhaust and raw fuel fumes D) Hotter than hell that day but
I can't blame that on the race. Overall it was like, well, once of
this is enough for me. Couldn't even figure out who was was in first
place with the less-than-ideal scoreboards, and if you don't know what
number is what driver, forget it.

Funnest part was we got to take a little train ride from our nearby
town right to the entrance of the track, and the train ride was cool as
none of us had ever been on a real honest to goodness train (i.e. not
including the one at Disneyland that meanders past Toontown and the
dinosaurs chewing weeds!)
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:58:55 PM

Since there are some on this group that want to stereotype the folks
who go to NASCAR races as trailer trash with no teeth, I take offense
to this.
I know its been discussed here before and I usually don't get into
these pissing contests but this group is a valuable resource for
information on a hobby we all enjoy. Leave the rude comments out. It
just shows your ignorance. And thanks to all who help us with
technical issues. I've gained a lot of valuable information over the
years from this group. There are many great folks here who I have had
the pleasure of doing business with or meeting in person.

BTW I went to my first Nascar race in 1970 and have been going ever
sense. So now you can bash me personally

Larry Kitchen (Kitch)
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:26:06 PM

>BTW I went to my first Nascar race in 1970 and have been going ever
>sense. So now you can bash me personally

What people don't know is that going to a race is only at best HALF of
the fun. These places are a people watchers dream. I've been to several
races and have had a great time.

Kirb
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:14:00 PM

I think you guys are suffering from can't have it syndrome where by it looks
so much better to you.
From our point it looks dull and bland versus Nascar "we" can't have that
looks bright and out there. Classic John Youssi artwork versus plain grey
cabinet with decals. Look again at the stand out machine and have a second
think.
"Matt S." <mstar@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

> Phil Dixon wrote:
> > getit while you can. F1 Lawyers will be all over this.
> > That centre car could be a Ferrari and the 2 either side are McLaren
> > http://www.origo.hu/i/0502/20050209mclaren1.jpg
>
> I wouldn't worry. Video games use cars that look like famous cars all
> the time with no problems. I'm sure Stern did their homework on the
> issue.

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:14:01 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:14:00 +1000, "David Stein" <david@bumper.com.au> wrote:

>I think you guys are suffering from can't have it syndrome where by it looks
>so much better to you.

I think you are suffering from Inability-to-understand-that-everyone-doesn't-
think-like-you syndrome where by it seems to you that your opinion is the only
valid one and that the opinions of others are just stupid.

>From our point it looks dull and bland versus Nascar "we" can't have that
>looks bright and out there. Classic John Youssi artwork versus plain grey
>cabinet with decals. Look again at the stand out machine and have a second
>think.

The 'stand out' machine _is_ Grand Prix.

No matter how long I look at the NASCAR {TM} pin I will not like NASCAR {TM} or
the whole BO, beer, country 'music', wife-beater and mullet ambience of the
NAShole way of life one teeny tiny bit more.

I prefer the Grand Prix version of the pin. End of sentence.
August 12, 2005 5:44:11 PM

Nearly everyone who has replied has a problem with the 'theme' of
Nacscar not the artwork. From a distance it looks to me like they don't
like being associated to the
beer-drinking-wife-beating-trailer-living-trash.

Bring it on!!!!! In fact if I didn't target trailer trash when I took
holidays in Vegas I's never get laid there!

The GP artwork looks sterile to me. I prefer Nascar but living in
Australia we don't have the same association with it!

Can't wait to play one! I love Pat's work and this eems to be his best
for a while!

Cheers

In article <42fbfef0$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au>,
"David Stein" <david@bumper.com.au> wrote:

> I think you guys are suffering from can't have it syndrome where by it looks
> so much better to you.
> From our point it looks dull and bland versus Nascar "we" can't have that
> looks bright and out there. Classic John Youssi artwork versus plain grey
> cabinet with decals. Look again at the stand out machine and have a second
> think.
> "Matt S." <mstar@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Phil Dixon wrote:
> > > getit while you can. F1 Lawyers will be all over this.
> > > That centre car could be a Ferrari and the 2 either side are McLaren
> > > http://www.origo.hu/i/0502/20050209mclaren1.jpg
> >
> > I wouldn't worry. Video games use cars that look like famous cars all
> > the time with no problems. I'm sure Stern did their homework on the
> > issue.

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:44:12 PM

> MacMan (Whose favourite Lawlor game is Roadshow because Red takes the
> balls in her mouth!)

Eeeeeeewwwwww!!! Wow...that was a leap of topics! :-)

But you know on RS and in FH...so do Ted and Rudy. :-o

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu
August 12, 2005 6:45:31 PM

In article <1123856655.424450.213600@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"TheKorn@TheKorn.net" <TheKorn@TheKorn.net> wrote:

> Mike Schudel wrote:
> > > MacMan (Whose favourite Lawlor game is Roadshow because Red takes the
> > > balls in her mouth!)
> >
> > Eeeeeeewwwwww!!! Wow...that was a leap of topics! :-)
> >
> > But you know on RS and in FH...so do Ted and Rudy. :-o
>
> Yeah, but Rudy has the good sense to _puke_ it up. Red just says
> another annoying bee-yatch line. :)

But that's why Ms PacMan was so popular. Because she swallows!!!!

Cheers
MacMan
August 12, 2005 7:06:45 PM

In article <1123857321.129931.265760@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"TheKorn@TheKorn.net" <TheKorn@TheKorn.net> wrote:

> MacMan wrote:
> > Nearly everyone who has replied has a problem with the 'theme' of
> > Nacscar not the artwork. From a distance it looks to me like they don't
> > like being associated to the
> > beer-drinking-wife-beating-trailer-living-trash.
>
> And man, if you thought there were ugly people at the department of
> motor vehicles, HOLY COW don't go to a _real_ nascar race! (shudder!!)
> They make the guys who run SuperAuctions look _clean_ and _well_
> _behaved_!

You don't want to know what I did at Key West after last years expo
then... Makes Superauctions female staff look like the English Royal
Family. I wan't looking at the guys in either Key West or at Super
Auctons! (Sorry Mr Do-rag... maybe next year...Nah!)

I will however say it was someone at Expo who told me how to pick up
trailer trash in Key West... it has to do with a fish and a nickle.

> > The GP artwork looks sterile to me. I prefer Nascar but living in
> > Australia we don't have the same association with it!
>
> Honestly, I can't quite understand it. Maybe it's the way I took the
> pictures (with a flash... duuuh), I dunno. Yeah, the NASCAR logo is
> garish, but the rest of the art looks pretty good.
>
> I had the same reaction when I saw the GP art, especially the cabinet
> front. I'd probably walk right by it; doesn't do _anything_ to draw me
> in. (And that's weird; I tend to really love Youssi's stuff!)

It's not Youssi's best, but I thought that's because there was no
personalisation... I mean... you get attached to the people in his
art... but not to three cars. No attachment as you do to his self
portrait with his son in FH, etc.

> > Can't wait to play one! I love Pat's work and this eems to be his best
> > for a while!
>
> I can easily say it's Pat's _best_ game in YEARS! ;)

Great to hear! I'm going to start bothering the Sydney dist to find out
where one is sited in Sydney!

Cheers
MacMan
August 12, 2005 7:49:01 PM

<< From a distance it looks to me like they don't
like being associated to the
beer-drinking-wife-beating-tra­iler-living-trash. >>

Can somebody come up with a good stereotype of F1 fans to go along with
the one of Nascar fans as being drunk, dirt-poor wife-beating garbage?
August 12, 2005 7:52:11 PM

I think this DEFINITELY calls for a RGP poll here - from people in the
US who are interested in buying either a Nascar or a Grand Prix - which
one would you want? Then email the results to Stern.
Frenchy
August 12, 2005 8:07:07 PM

I'm going to ignore the GP Ver. Nascar stuff & Talk about the Great
Looking Ladys I see at the Nascar races I go to ,, I dont know what
tracks the Nascar Fans here go to
But I can say Darlington/ Charlotte both have some real Sweet-Hearts at
those tracks,

Want to really have some fun ??, Take a Grill & Cook-out & bring the
Family Pet Dog,
Either I'm a Hell of a Cook, or those Sweeties just Love nice Dogs !!!

Been going to Nascar races all my life & things I've learned are # 1,
Dont sit at the bottom of the track, If you do you better take Safety
Glass's as that rubber flying could about blind you,, # 2, Sitting at
the top lets you see Everything on the track & you can beat 90 % of the
traffic after a race ( Plus closer to the Rest-Rooms ) .

Also the Folks saying Nascar fans are trailor trash are about 20 YEARS
behind the Times !!! Thats about like saying ALL Harley-Riders are a
bunch of drug crazed Killers.
& its funny all of my friends who own Harleys earn 6 figures a year &
have some of the highest paying jobs out there.
FWIW, we've ordered 6 new Nascars & we're betting these are going to be
the best earners we've seen in a long time ( Pinballs ) To each his own
!!!

Pin-Del,
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 8:12:09 PM

On 12 Aug 2005 15:49:01 -0700, "frenchy" <mf101723@msn.com> wrote:

><< From a distance it looks to me like they don't
>like being associated to the
>beer-drinking-wife-beating-tra­iler-living-trash. >>
>
>Can somebody come up with a good stereotype of F1 fans to go along with
>the one of Nascar fans as being drunk, dirt-poor wife-beating garbage?

Sure. Short elitist wine sipping euro-trash snobs who cheat on their
wives while thumbing their noses at fans who complain about being
ripped off at their so-called races.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 8:32:46 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:12:09 -0700, Kenbo <Kenbo@NOqsolvJUNKMAIL.com>
wrote:

[...]

>>Can somebody come up with a good stereotype of F1 fans to go along with
>>the one of Nascar fans as being drunk, dirt-poor wife-beating garbage?
>
>Sure. Short elitist wine sipping euro-trash snobs who cheat on their
>wives while thumbing their noses at fans who complain about being
>ripped off at their so-called races.

Whoops, I was thinking of F1 TEAMS, and drivers in particular.

Hmm, fans.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 8:59:15 PM

Hmm, seems the bottom line here is that there are some people who will
like the NASCAR theme and some people who won't. The big question is,
which group is larger? Not sure if Stern will ever do this, but they
should make both versions available to whoever might be interested
regardless if they're in the U.S. or elsewhere - seems like they would
sell more games this way and possibly have a wider audience who would
want to play.

Mike
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:10:11 PM

"David Stein" <david@bumper.com.au> wrote in message
> I think you guys are suffering from can't have it syndrome where by it
looks
> so much better to you.
> From our point it looks dull and bland versus Nascar "we" can't have that
> looks bright and out there. Classic John Youssi artwork versus plain grey
> cabinet with decals. Look again at the stand out machine and have a second
> think.

For me, it's more that I don't collect NASCAR stuff, I don't drive a Ford, I
don't drive a GM, I don't drink Miller Lite... and I certainly don't feel
like paying $4,000 for the right of displaying their logos prominantly in my
family room. If I were into any one of those four it might be a different
story. But guess what - they also make a nice generic version that has no
objectionable branding on it, so naturally I prefer that one!

- Dan
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:30:51 PM

You miss understand. I also was really looking forward to Grand Prix for the
same arguments and thought great Grand Prix here we come. It is the lack of
fire in the art not the theme. I would much rather a Grand Prix cover but
after comparing the standard of the two look at the front of cabinet for
example. It looks like grand prix art was a quick after thought. I'm with
you for the theme.
"Chris Evans" <evans@loa.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:14:00 +1000, "David Stein" <david@bumper.com.au>
wrote:

> >I think you guys are suffering from can't have it syndrome where by it
looks
> >so much better to you.
>
> I think you are suffering from
Inability-to-understand-that-everyone-doesn't-
> think-like-you syndrome where by it seems to you that your opinion is the
only
> valid one and that the opinions of others are just stupid.
>
> >From our point it looks dull and bland versus Nascar "we" can't have that
> >looks bright and out there. Classic John Youssi artwork versus plain grey
> >cabinet with decals. Look again at the stand out machine and have a
second
> >think.
>
> The 'stand out' machine _is_ Grand Prix.
>
> No matter how long I look at the NASCAR {TM} pin I will not like NASCAR
{TM} or
> the whole BO, beer, country 'music', wife-beater and mullet ambience of
the
> NAShole way of life one teeny tiny bit more.
>
> I prefer the Grand Prix version of the pin. End of sentence.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:30:52 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:30:51 +1000, "David Stein" <david@bumper.com.au> wrote:

>You miss understand. [...]
>It looks like grand prix art was a quick after thought. I'm with
>you for the theme.

I did indeed. Apologies.

Even still, I certainly like the translite a lot better on Grand Prix than
NASCAR {TM}. Sure it's more sedate, but I like the layout and the lack of
the NASCAR {TM} logo a lot better. I think the cars look neater too.

The cabinet serves its purpose on both and I haven't studied the playfield
in detail so cannot say there.
August 13, 2005 1:17:53 AM

In article <1123862335.088792.318010@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
flipnout1@hotmail.com wrote:

> Since there are some on this group that want to stereotype the folks
> who go to NASCAR races as trailer trash with no teeth, I take offense
> to this.
> I know its been discussed here before and I usually don't get into
> these pissing contests but this group is a valuable resource for
> information on a hobby we all enjoy. Leave the rude comments out. It
> just shows your ignorance. And thanks to all who help us with
> technical issues. I've gained a lot of valuable information over the
> years from this group. There are many great folks here who I have had
> the pleasure of doing business with or meeting in person.
>
> BTW I went to my first Nascar race in 1970 and have been going ever
> sense. So now you can bash me personally
>
> Larry Kitchen (Kitch)

Larry,

My post wasn't meant to offend. Sorry if it did.

As you say it's been discussed here before and that's what I was basing
my observation on when I said people seemed to prefer GP just because it
didn't have the association to Nascar.

I'm in Australia and have no idea about Nascar except what I've read on
this group. It doesn't even get shown on TV here I'm pretty sure.

Hopefully no-one wants to bash you personally and I'm glad you enjoy it.
I can tell you now if I like the pin when we find one over here, I will
probably go to a race next time I'm in America to see what it's all
about.

Again, sorry if I caused offence.

Cheers
MacMan
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 2:40:30 AM

> Nearly everyone who has replied has a problem with the 'theme' of
> Nacscar not the artwork. From a distance it looks to me like they don't
> like being associated to the
> beer-drinking-wife-beating-trailer-living-trash.

No, for me it's the insistence on turning the thing into a bunch of
billboards. Plus, I like the look of F1 cars far more than stock cars.
Nascar just looks trashy.
!