Closed

Question about CD Keys

September 12, 2005 7:52:07 PM

I saw this on pricewatch....
http://directdepot2u.com/item.asp?PID=668

Will the CD key work with any Windows XP professional CD, or do I have
to use the Dell branded disc? Is there such a thing as a Dell only
Micrsoft key?

More about : question keys

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 8:35:03 PM

NotMe wrote:
> Many OEM versions are BIOS locked to the OEM hardware.
> This one I don't know.
> I wouldn't buy it myself (I've seen NON-Branded OEM for less).

Where? Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Windows XP Pro? Corporate?
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 9:10:07 PM

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"Doofusbrain" <Acurajustin1978@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I saw this on pricewatch....
> http://directdepot2u.com/item.asp?PID=668
>
> Will the CD key work with any Windows XP professional CD, or do I have
> to use the Dell branded disc? Is there such a thing as a Dell only
> Micrsoft key?

September 12, 2005 9:10:30 PM

"Doofusbrain" <Acurajustin1978@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I saw this on pricewatch....
> http://directdepot2u.com/item.asp?PID=668
>
> Will the CD key work with any Windows XP professional CD, or do I have
> to use the Dell branded disc? Is there such a thing as a Dell only
> Micrsoft key?

Well, the software that's shown is obviously bogus, because there's no such
thing as an oem cd that will also do an upgrade. And if it is a Dell coa, it
may install, but it's not going to activate, according to the latest word
from MS.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 10:43:20 PM

Yikes, $147. I might as well chance with the $65 and if it doesn't
work ebay it.

NotMe wrote:
> There are MANY places that sell legitimate software.
> I Googled and this is the first...
> http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/ms_products~subcategory...
>
> --
> A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> "Doofusbrain" <Acurajustin1978@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > NotMe wrote:
> >> Many OEM versions are BIOS locked to the OEM hardware.
> >> This one I don't know.
> >> I wouldn't buy it myself (I've seen NON-Branded OEM for less).
> >>

> > Where? Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Windows XP Pro? Corporate?

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 10:56:55 PM

Stand-alone Certificates of Authenticity (COAs) are illegal!

Any offer to distribute an incomplete Microsoft software package
(i.e. COA only) is not authorized, and any individual who was to
obtain incomplete Microsoft software components would not be
authorized to use the associated software.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Doofusbrain" wrote:

| I saw this on pricewatch....
| http://directdepot2u.com/item.asp?PID=668
|
| Will the CD key work with any Windows XP professional CD, or do I have
| to use the Dell branded disc? Is there such a thing as a Dell only
| Micrsoft key?
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 10:58:32 PM

There are MANY places that sell legitimate software.
I Googled and this is the first...
http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/ms_products~subcategory...

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"Doofusbrain" <Acurajustin1978@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> NotMe wrote:
>> Many OEM versions are BIOS locked to the OEM hardware.
>> This one I don't know.
>> I wouldn't buy it myself (I've seen NON-Branded OEM for less).
>>

> Where? Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Windows XP Pro? Corporate?

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:30:09 PM

Doofusbrain wrote:

> Yikes, $147. I might as well chance with the $65 and if it doesn't
> work ebay it.

What's this? Honor among thieves? Buycheapsoftware is about
as legitimate as a discounter can get. Have had no problems
with them or their products. Pay the $147 for its Windows XP
with SP2, full OEM version, and be happy about it. It's a
fair price.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 11:47:54 PM

I'd stay legal.
If it sounds too good to be true...why throw the $65 into a crooks open
hand?

--
> Yikes, $147. I might as well chance with the $65 and if it doesn't
> work ebay it.
>

> NotMe wrote:
>> There are MANY places that sell legitimate software.
>> I Googled and this is the first...
>> http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/ms_products~subcategory...
>>
>> --
>> A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
>> "Doofusbrain" <Acurajustin1978@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Where? Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Windows XP Pro?
>> > Corporate?

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:46:03 AM

Doofusbrain wrote:
> I saw this on pricewatch....
> http://directdepot2u.com/item.asp?PID=668
>
> Will the CD key work with any Windows XP professional CD, or do I have
> to use the Dell branded disc? Is there such a thing as a Dell only
> Micrsoft key?

That license is valid *only* when installed upon the Dell computer with
which it was first sold. What you're seeing is someone selling pirated
software.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:48:38 AM

Ghostrider wrote:
> Doofusbrain wrote:
>
> > Yikes, $147. I might as well chance with the $65 and if it doesn't
> > work ebay it.
> >

> What's this? Honor among thieves? Buycheapsoftware is about
> as legitimate as a discounter can get. Have had no problems
> with them or their products. Pay the $147 for its Windows XP
> with SP2, full OEM version, and be happy about it. It's a
> fair price.

I suppose you're right. Its too much of a pain and there are too many
risks trying to cheat the system. Its just that as I build PCs, the
most expensisive part is the OS.

I just saw that and like the other guy said it seemed too good to be
true. If I do get it and it doesn't work I can't really ebay it since
it won't work for anybody else eiter.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:06:19 AM

Doofusbrain wrote:
> I suppose you're right. Its too much of a pain and there are too many
> risks trying to cheat the system. Its just that as I build PCs, the
> most expensisive part is the OS.

The most expensive part is the OS?!
*grin* Maybe you should invest in better components.

Seriously, even if the OS is the most expensive component - it's also pretty
vital.. Without an OS, it's a pretty box with some cool looking equipment
in it. You can even get it to beep and whir some - but throw in an
Operating System - and then you have a multipurpose tool.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Doofusbrain wrote:

> I suppose you're right. Its too much of a pain and there are too many
> risks trying to cheat the system. Its just that as I build PCs, the
> most expensisive part is the OS.

If you buy "full" version I suppose you're right. This has more to do
with hardware prices dropping way, way down tho rather than "high" OS
prices.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Anonymous

Buying software online always entails risks, but that's part of the buying experience. Nonetheless, companies like BuyCheapSoftware.com, eBay and Amazon, are among my "favorites". I'm always relieved when I buy software from websites I can trust, and that goes for everybody else I think.
May 10, 2010 4:31:34 AM

This topic has been closed by Aford10
!