Closed

Question about CD Keys

I saw this on pricewatch....
http://directdepot2u.com/item.asp?PID=668

Will the CD key work with any Windows XP professional CD, or do I have
to use the Dell branded disc? Is there such a thing as a Dell only
Micrsoft key?
15 answers Last reply
More about question keys

    NotMe wrote:
    > Many OEM versions are BIOS locked to the OEM hardware.
    > This one I don't know.
    > I wouldn't buy it myself (I've seen NON-Branded OEM for less).

    Where? Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Windows XP Pro? Corporate?

    --
    A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    "Doofusbrain" <Acurajustin1978@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I saw this on pricewatch....
    > http://directdepot2u.com/item.asp?PID=668
    >
    > Will the CD key work with any Windows XP professional CD, or do I have
    > to use the Dell branded disc? Is there such a thing as a Dell only
    > Micrsoft key?

    "Doofusbrain" <Acurajustin1978@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I saw this on pricewatch....
    > http://directdepot2u.com/item.asp?PID=668
    >
    > Will the CD key work with any Windows XP professional CD, or do I have
    > to use the Dell branded disc? Is there such a thing as a Dell only
    > Micrsoft key?

    Well, the software that's shown is obviously bogus, because there's no such
    thing as an oem cd that will also do an upgrade. And if it is a Dell coa, it
    may install, but it's not going to activate, according to the latest word
    from MS.

    Yikes, $147. I might as well chance with the $65 and if it doesn't
    work ebay it.

    NotMe wrote:
    > There are MANY places that sell legitimate software.
    > I Googled and this is the first...
    > http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/ms_products~subcategory~24.asp
    >
    > --
    > A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    > "Doofusbrain" <Acurajustin1978@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > NotMe wrote:
    > >> Many OEM versions are BIOS locked to the OEM hardware.
    > >> This one I don't know.
    > >> I wouldn't buy it myself (I've seen NON-Branded OEM for less).
    > >>

    > > Where? Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Windows XP Pro? Corporate?

    Stand-alone Certificates of Authenticity (COAs) are illegal!

    Any offer to distribute an incomplete Microsoft software package
    (i.e. COA only) is not authorized, and any individual who was to
    obtain incomplete Microsoft software components would not be
    authorized to use the associated software.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    NotMe wrote:
    > There are MANY places that sell legitimate software.
    > I Googled and this is the first...
    > http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/ms_products~subcategory~24.asp

    Not bad:
    Windows XP Pro SP/2
    Full OEM Price: $ 147.00

    FYI: TigerDirect.com has XP Professional OEM for $140:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=26

    Doofusbrain wrote:

    > Yikes, $147. I might as well chance with the $65 and if it doesn't
    > work ebay it.

    What's this? Honor among thieves? Buycheapsoftware is about
    as legitimate as a discounter can get. Have had no problems
    with them or their products. Pay the $147 for its Windows XP
    with SP2, full OEM version, and be happy about it. It's a
    fair price.

    I'd stay legal.
    If it sounds too good to be true...why throw the $65 into a crooks open
    hand?

    --

    Doofusbrain wrote:
    > I saw this on pricewatch....
    > http://directdepot2u.com/item.asp?PID=668
    >
    > Will the CD key work with any Windows XP professional CD, or do I have
    > to use the Dell branded disc? Is there such a thing as a Dell only
    > Micrsoft key?

    That license is valid *only* when installed upon the Dell computer with
    which it was first sold. What you're seeing is someone selling pirated
    software.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Ghostrider wrote:
    > Doofusbrain wrote:
    >
    > > Yikes, $147. I might as well chance with the $65 and if it doesn't
    > > work ebay it.
    > >

    > What's this? Honor among thieves? Buycheapsoftware is about
    > as legitimate as a discounter can get. Have had no problems
    > with them or their products. Pay the $147 for its Windows XP
    > with SP2, full OEM version, and be happy about it. It's a
    > fair price.

    I suppose you're right. Its too much of a pain and there are too many
    risks trying to cheat the system. Its just that as I build PCs, the
    most expensisive part is the OS.

    I just saw that and like the other guy said it seemed too good to be
    true. If I do get it and it doesn't work I can't really ebay it since
    it won't work for anybody else eiter.

    Doofusbrain wrote:
    > I suppose you're right. Its too much of a pain and there are too many
    > risks trying to cheat the system. Its just that as I build PCs, the
    > most expensisive part is the OS.

    The most expensive part is the OS?!
    *grin* Maybe you should invest in better components.

    Seriously, even if the OS is the most expensive component - it's also pretty
    vital.. Without an OS, it's a pretty box with some cool looking equipment
    in it. You can even get it to beep and whir some - but throw in an
    Operating System - and then you have a multipurpose tool.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Doofusbrain wrote:

    > I suppose you're right. Its too much of a pain and there are too many
    > risks trying to cheat the system. Its just that as I build PCs, the
    > most expensisive part is the OS.

    If you buy "full" version I suppose you're right. This has more to do
    with hardware prices dropping way, way down tho rather than "high" OS
    prices.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
  14. Buying software online always entails risks, but that's part of the buying experience. Nonetheless, companies like BuyCheapSoftware.com, eBay and Amazon, are among my "favorites". I'm always relieved when I buy software from websites I can trust, and that goes for everybody else I think.

Dell Microsoft CD-Rom Windows XP