Palm OS vs. Pocket PC for multilingual users

December 3, 2004 8:43:15 AM

Does Palm OS (the version that's now shipping on PDAs) and Palm
Desktop support unicode yet? If not, then in spite of my long history
with Palm OS, I may switch to Pocket PC. I know other major OSs that
come out-of-the-box with it - e.g. Windows XP and Mac OS X. And from
the standpoint of developing and maintaining the OS, it's difficult
for me to understand how it couldn't have it, given the advantages of
ease of localization and interoperability among multiple localized
versions (which Windows XP does quite nicely).

I've relied on my HandEra 330 (which runs Palm OS version 3.5.3) for
many years now. But HandEra has been discontinued for quite some
time, and I've recently encountered important software (i.e. the
Ultralingua dictionary program) which is not being tested on the
HandEra 330. Thus, I think it's time I finally buy a new PDA.

The major gripe I've had with Palm OS 3 is it's lack of built-in
support for East Asian character encodings. There are hacks to
address this shortcoming on the PDA side (e.g. CJKOS), but when
synchronizing with an English version of Windows XP, the East Asian
text is not displayed correctly in Palm Desktop. This makes it
impossible for me to, for example, look up in Palm Desktop those names
and address which are written in East Asian scripts.

Changing the "non-Unicode programs" option in the "Regional and
Language Options" control panel in Windows has too many undesirable
side-effects. For example, some programs are installed with
user-interfaces in the other language, which I don't like. And
switching between multiple East Asian languages (of which I read and
write in several) is not easy (i.e. requires the computer be
restarted).
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 8:41:06 PM

Nowhere Man a écrit, le 03/12/2004 14:43 :

> Does Palm OS (the version that's now shipping on PDAs) and Palm
> Desktop support unicode yet?

Not unicode, but multi-bytes characters, yes.

Doing a search for "unicode" in <http://kb.palmsource.com/&gt; will give
you some hints...

--

Internet, newsgroups, e-mail => Netiquette
http://usenet-fr.news.eu.org/fr.usenet.reponses/usenet/...

In article <b83c0e43.0412030543.675e716@posting.google.com>, nowhere222@hotmail.com (Nowhere Man) wrote:
>I've relied on my HandEra 330 (which runs Palm OS version 3.5.3) for
>many years now. But HandEra has been discontinued for quite some
[snip] >
>The major gripe I've had with Palm OS 3 is it's lack of built-in
>support for East Asian character encodings. There are hacks to
>address this shortcoming on the PDA side (e.g. CJKOS), but when
>synchronizing with an English version of Windows XP, the East Asian
>text is not displayed correctly in Palm Desktop. This makes it
>impossible for me to, for example, look up in Palm Desktop those names
>and address which are written in East Asian scripts.

i have the same problem. & have to use NJ star to view Big5 on Palm Desktop
(v.4). but there's no such 'plug-in" for Mac OS X so all Chinese become
gobbledygook.

let me know your experience. since i've been also using HE330 (with Palm
Dragon) & want to upgrade soon.

regards,

Pam @ Home

Cort Furniture Rental and Honesty are two exclusive concepts.
December 3, 2004 11:42:36 PM

In article <b83c0e43.0412030543.675e716@posting.google.com>,
nowhere222@hotmail.com (Nowhere Man) wrote:

> The major gripe I've had with Palm OS 3 is it's lack of built-in
> support for East Asian character encodings.

Palm OS 3 is way old.

Palm OS Garnet (5) supports multi-byte characters, and is localized in
Japanese and Simplified Chinese, among other languages.

Palm OS Cobalt is more advanced still but won't appear in devices until
early next year.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 9:52:22 AM

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 20:42:36 GMT, guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:
>Palm OS Garnet (5) supports multi-byte characters, and is localized in
>Japanese and Simplified Chinese, among other languages.
Regardless of the multi-byte characters support, one can only admit
that out-of-the-box PalmOS device are completely unable to handle
multiple characters encoding.

Basically, if you want to display Japanese characters, buy a Japanese
device, and if you want to display accented (Latin) characters, buy a
Western device, but whatever you do, there's no built-in support to
display both character encodings at the same time... <sigh>
Patrick Robbe
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 2:26:49 PM

Nowhere Man wrote:
> Does Palm OS (the version that's now shipping on PDAs) and Palm
> Desktop support unicode yet? If not, then in spite of my long history
> with Palm OS, I may switch to Pocket PC. I know other major OSs that
> come out-of-the-box with it - e.g. Windows XP and Mac OS X. And from
> the standpoint of developing and maintaining the OS, it's difficult
> for me to understand how it couldn't have it, given the advantages of
> ease of localization and interoperability among multiple localized
> versions (which Windows XP does quite nicely).

I use Piloc (Pilot Localization) of Paragon Software for my needs and it
is great.

I don't have much experience with PPC platform, but few days ago I
decided to buy a new mobile phone running Windows CE and I found out
that in order to have greek alphabet it used special versions of its
programs, it had english address book and a greek one, it had two
versions of sms too, an english anf a greek, and in each one I couldn't
mix english alphabet with greek. Consider a greek address book entry
with an e-mail address, email addresses must be in english, it was
impossible, unless MS thinks that greeks don't have email :-)

As you expect, I dissapointed and steped back from bying it.

--
/"\
\ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL

Manolis Christodoulou MD.
http://users.forthnet.gr/pel/mchris/

mailto:mchris@pel.forthnet.gr (Default)
mailto:D rael21@icqmail.com ICQ# 41895329
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 6:41:48 PM

Patrick Robbe a écrit, le 04/12/2004 06:52 :

> Regardless of the multi-byte characters support, one can only admit
> that out-of-the-box PalmOS device are completely unable to handle
> multiple characters encoding.

Actually, it's wrong. I have a G88 device that handles both english and
chinese. I don't even need to do a hard-reset to switch...

--

Internet, newsgroups, e-mail => Netiquette
http://usenet-fr.news.eu.org/fr.usenet.reponses/usenet/...
news:fr.bienvenue news:fr.bienvenue.questions
news:news.announce.newusers news:fr.usenet.reponses
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 7:04:36 PM

Hi Patrick,

>> Regardless of the multi-byte characters support, one can only admit
>> that out-of-the-box PalmOS device are completely unable to handle
>> multiple characters encoding.
>
>Actually, it's wrong. I have a G88 device that handles both english and
>chinese. I don't even need to do a hard-reset to switch...

OK, my mistake, I should have been more specific and write "completely
unable to handle different _extended / multi-byte_ character
encodings".

All PalmOS devices can display the first 128 characters of the ascii
set (I think there are a few differences, but basically any unaccented
character will display OK).

But I have yet to find a device that can display (natively)
simultaneously French accented characters and Japanese kanji/kana, for
instance. :-(

BTW, Patrick, I tried to get in touch with GSPDA a few days ago to
enquire about the availability of any developer doc or SDK for the
G18/G88/M28, but the email address on their website returns an error: