Sign in with
Your question

How to test if my CPU is burnt?

Last response: in CPUs
February 26, 2004 11:09:44 AM

Hi guys,
I need some help, recently the ac adaptor of my computer
"exploded" and damaged something on my computer. I've already tested changing the memory and is not it, so I'm thinking it could be the proc. (pentium 4 1.6 Ghz) or something on the motherboard.
The symptoms are the following:
-can't boot or install winxp, me or linux the computer restarts itself
-I can boot dos, but if try to load any driver like the cdrom the computer restarts.
-when I run a mem test the system restarts, however I've tested with a working mem from another computer
can any one point me to some test tools for DOS? what can be happening? thanks, I'll apretiate your replies.

More about : test cpu burnt

February 26, 2004 11:37:41 AM

If there is any damage to the CPU then your PC would not boot at all - they either work or not - very rare that they are "slightly broken".

Check that you heatsink is seated properly - sometimes if you boot in to DOS and then you get freezes no matter what you do it is because after being in DOS for a few seconds you CPU overheats due to improper heatsink location.

Look for black marks on any of the capacitors on your motherboard and see if any appear to be bulging (= dead).

Obviously try all the components from your machine in another and if they work then that pretty much means that it is your mobo causing the problem.

If the Power supply was the one that came with the case then it is probably not a very expensive one and it could have let too much charge through to the mobo when your adaptor blew up.

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :) 
February 26, 2004 12:18:29 PM

Thanks, for the reply, well I guess is not the CPU then. The thing is that the problem is very strange, I can freely use DOS for hours, but I try to load winME I get a blue screen and it stops. Or if try to run XP or any software other than DOS basic tools it restarts. I will check the MB for burnt things.. I hope I find the problem.
thanks
!