asherons call and zone error message

Hi i get to the room with my Asherons Call Dark Magisty game, and i get the following error message after the "loading Zone Files window" appears, Failed to download http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/zestract.exe I have windwos XP home edition with all critical updates. I have Explorer 6.0. I am on a compaq presario 900 notebook. I have directx9.0B and it tests out good. I payed good money for this game, now i cant play...i'm totally bummed. Please help

ledslap wrote:

> Hi i get to the room with my Asherons Call Dark Magisty game, and i
> get the following error message after the "loading Zone Files window"
> appears, Failed to download
> http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/zestract.exe I have windwos XP
> home edition with all critical updates. I have Explorer 6.0. I am
> on a compaq presario 900 notebook. I have directx9.0B and it tests
> out good. I payed good money for this game, now i cant play...i'm
> totally bummed. Please help

There is no "zestract.exe". You probably meant zextract.exe. I wonder
how this file was damaged, or why it's being replaced since it hasn't
been updated since 2003.

Delete the damaged file, zextract.ex_ from the Zone's \Temp folder, if
it's there then try the Zone again. (The decompressed file,
Zextract.exe belongs in the Zone's \Temp folder.) If that doesn't help:

Any Zone file can be downloaded from the following site but the site
can't be browsed.

Paste http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/ in your location bar then add
the name of the file you can't "update" to the end. Download the file,
place it in the Zone's \Temp folder, then reenter the Zone. It will be
installed. (You can save the decompressed version of the file if you
prefer.)

An example would be http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/zone.za_ or
http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/zone.zat

( http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/zextract.exe in your case. )

The underscore might be removed from the file as it's saved to disk. If
so, edit the filename to add the _ and/or to remove the .txt extension
that's added.

Some browsers/news readers mistakenly show the download as text. It
looks like gibberish at the bottom of the post or browser. If this
happens, you should be able to click File, Save Attachment (or File,
Open Attachment, File Save As) and save them to the correct folder. This
depends on the browser and whether you were emailed the attachment or
you clicked a link to it. Some browsers will only let you save it as
..txt or HTML. If so, you can change the name to "zone.za_" with the
quotes (example filename) then the file will save without the extension.
--

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

clvck