Touchpad inoperable HELP

I have an Inspiron, out of warranty. The touchpad and pointing device
on the keyboard have decided to stop working. Anyone have a
suggestiion for a fix? An external USB mouse is working, I'd like to
heve the touchpad back.

Thanks,
Bob

a complete model number of the computer and the external mouse in use would
yield a more accurate answer. but generally the internal touchpad on most
models can be set to either be disabled when an external mouse is present or
work simultaneously... but the caveat on many models is that the driver for
the internal touch pad is not compatible with many other external mouse
drivers (particularly those that have 'extra' buttons). use the standard ms
drivers for the external mouse to determine if this is a driver issue.

<Not Likely> wrote in message
> I have an Inspiron, out of warranty. The touchpad and pointing device
> on the keyboard have decided to stop working. Anyone have a
> suggestiion for a fix? An external USB mouse is working, I'd like to
> heve the touchpad back.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Eugene

Not Likely wrote:

> I have an Inspiron, out of warranty. The touchpad and pointing device
> on the keyboard have decided to stop working. Anyone have a
> suggestiion for a fix? An external USB mouse is working, I'd like to
> heve the touchpad back.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
Check in the bios setup to see if its disabeled. Check to see if it shows
up in device mangler, if its enabled in bios and doesn't show up in device
mangler then pop the keyboard or case and check the cables.

Thanks for the reply.

I will get the model number and post later.

The touchpad just stopped working. In order to use the machine,
I connected a USB mouse afterwards. I did not need to install any
driver, XP had a driver native that worked. The USB mouse works fine.

Either with or without the USB mouse, the touchpad and pointing stick
just all of a sudden stopped. I dont believe it is the fault of a
virus, Norton AV 2004, Norton Internet Security, and Spy Sweeper all
are installed and current.

In SETUP, the BIOS is set for the touchpad to be operational.

Bob

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 15:40:41 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
<muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>a complete model number of the computer and the external mouse in use would
>yield a more accurate answer. but generally the internal touchpad on most
>models can be set to either be disabled when an external mouse is present or
>work simultaneously... but the caveat on many models is that the driver for
>the internal touch pad is not compatible with many other external mouse
>drivers (particularly those that have 'extra' buttons). use the standard ms
>drivers for the external mouse to determine if this is a driver issue.
>
><Not Likely> wrote in message
>> I have an Inspiron, out of warranty. The touchpad and pointing device
>> on the keyboard have decided to stop working. Anyone have a
>> suggestiion for a fix? An external USB mouse is working, I'd like to
>> heve the touchpad back.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

chances are it needs a new touchpad which means a new palm rest