New User Accounts with Invalid Shortcuts

Hello,

I have been reading through different posts looking for some information. I
have learned a few things, but nothing concerning my problem.

I am the Admin of my home computer Running XP Pro. It is the second Admin
(initial dormant). I have tried creating a new account for general use, but
my desktop and start menu shortcuts are not available under the new account.
I have tried creating both Admin and Limited. Neither one has had valid
shortcuts.

When I go to All Users under the new account (currently another Admin), all
of the shortcuts are invalid. I did a copy/paste of all my start menu program
shortcuts, while under my working Admin account, to the new Admin account in
Docs and Settings, but they are invalid when I log in under the new Admin
account.

Is this an Ownership problem? Does it have anything to do with Security
Rights? I have given the new account Admin rights and even added it to the C:
drive with all rights checked. Could it be a Services issue? I have modified
some of what starts automatically, but nothing I 'think' causes my current
problem.

I have added the new account through the Control Panel and through Manage
(right click My Computer), but neither one will create an account with valid
shortcuts. I really don't want to create them all manually.

Any ideas?

"ers0415" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been reading through different posts looking for some information. I
> have learned a few things, but nothing concerning my problem.
>
> I am the Admin of my home computer Running XP Pro. It is the second Admin
> (initial dormant). I have tried creating a new account for general use, but
> my desktop and start menu shortcuts are not available under the new account.
> I have tried creating both Admin and Limited. Neither one has had valid
> shortcuts.
>
> When I go to All Users under the new account (currently another Admin), all
> of the shortcuts are invalid. I did a copy/paste of all my start menu program
> shortcuts, while under my working Admin account, to the new Admin account in
> Docs and Settings, but they are invalid when I log in under the new Admin
> account.
>
> Is this an Ownership problem? Does it have anything to do with Security
> Rights? I have given the new account Admin rights and even added it to the C:
> drive with all rights checked. Could it be a Services issue? I have modified
> some of what starts automatically, but nothing I 'think' causes my current
> problem.
>
> I have added the new account through the Control Panel and through Manage
> (right click My Computer), but neither one will create an account with valid
> shortcuts. I really don't want to create them all manually.
>
> Any ideas?

I'm not sure how all this works, but I did not want this to get buried. I
could really use some information on this issue.

TRENDING THREADS