Hard Drive noise only on non-Administrator accounts!?

I have been having a problem with hard drive noise only for
non-administrator accounts on a Windows XP Professional machine.

I have changed hard drives and the problem persists.
When I grant the other accounts administrator priviledges the problem
goes away.

Any ideas?

Please copy andyfano@gmail.com on any responses as I do not read these
groups often.

Thanks for any help,

Andy Fano
5 answers Last reply
More about hard drive noise administrator accounts

    Strange, what type of policies do you set for Non Admins that requires XP to
    check every click to see if policy is being followed?

    --
    A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    <andyfano@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have been having a problem with hard drive noise only for
    > non-administrator accounts on a Windows XP Professional machine.
    >
    > I have changed hard drives and the problem persists.
    > When I grant the other accounts administrator priviledges the problem
    > goes away.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Please copy andyfano@gmail.com on any responses as I do not read these
    > groups often.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > Andy Fano

    I haven't set any kind of policies whatsoever.
    The hard drive noise is not normal drive activity indicating disc
    access or writing - it is a worrisome grinding noise.

    Thanks,

    -Andy Fano

    If you are getting a "grinding" sound, this is a "hardware" issue and could
    be your hard drive is going to fail (aka "crash".) The reason that it may
    only occur on "non-Administrator" account is the fact that that is where the
    those accounts have their files stored. Backup the drvier soon!

    >I haven't set any kind of policies whatsoever.
    > The hard drive noise is not normal drive activity indicating disc
    > access or writing - it is a worrisome grinding noise.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Andy Fano

    I thought so too, so I changed drives, and it still happens. When I
    change the status of the account to be administrator it stops
    happening.

    Thanks,

    -Andy Fano

    andyfano@gmail.com wrote:
    > I thought so too, so I changed drives, and it still happens. When I
    > change the status of the account to be administrator it stops
    > happening.

    Have you looked to try to find out what's running that doing the IO?

    Filemon from sysinternals could help locate the process/program.

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP