HP LJ3 50 Service Error - Resolution

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Greetings,
So I had the choice of buying a new fuser assembly for
C$98 to C$175, depending upon dealer, or buying a whole
used LJ3 for C$99. I now have 2 LJ3s, one works and one
is for parts.
<regards>
-het

--
"progress in software has not followed Moore's law." -John Holland

Computer Links: http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/clinks.html
H.E. Taylor http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair (More info?)

Yeah, these printers are dirt cheap compared to parts...

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/troubleshooting.html
Error 50 (fuser malfunction)

a.. HP II/III series most likely cause is the ac power module is defective.
Order the HP II/III Service 50 Error Repair Kit Quartz fuser lamp is burned
out. Order the replacement fuser on specials page. Slight possibility of
loose connector on DC controller. See tweaking page DC controller could also
be defective, but this is very rare.
a.. HP IIP/IIP+/IIIP most likely cause is burned out quartz lamp. Order the
HP IIP/IIIP 50 Service Error Repair Kit. Could also be a failure of the
power supply.
a.. HP 4/4+/5 most likely cause is burned out quartz lamp. Order the HP 4
Service 50 Error Repair Kit. Could also be a failure of the power supply.
a.. 4L/4P/5L/5P/6L/6P most likely cause is a bad ceramic heating element.
a.. All other printers most likely cause is burned out quartz lamp. In rare
instances the ac power supply has failed. Even rarer, the DC controller is
defective.