Urban Design/Planning Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

1_What is your budget? Less than $1,500, but could be reasoned with for an extra $300 or so.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Less than 17". This would be the primary home computer, but also a secondary computer in the office. Anything too bulky and it would be an inconvenience to take to work.

3_What screen resolution do you want? The highest I can get in my budget.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Currently typing on and planning to replace a Dell Latitude D620.

5_How much battery life do you need? I currently get 3.5 on an extended life battery. I'd like to stay around this time or get more time.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No games on the laptop.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Leisure: iTunes and watching movies. Work: Run multiple software, often at the same time: ArcGIS; Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator; AutoCAD 2010; Google SketchUp 7 & Google Earth; Microsoft Office products.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 250GB or better. I have a few external HDs I can use if I go over 250.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? At least 3 years. I've had this laptop for 4 and expect to get around the same.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?DVD play/write; HDMI

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I have had Dell and HP. My knowledge of current computer brand leaders is limited, so I am welcome to any suggestions. I do know, however, that I don't want a Compaq.

13_What country do you live in? US of A

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.After digging around the site for a couple of days, the Dell Studio 17 with the touchscreen option is sticking out at the moment. It looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure if the touchscreen function is a deal-breaker-must-have item. I have read that the TrueLife WLED (B+RG LED) 1080p option is preferable to the touch screen option. Is there a noticeable difference in display quality?

As I stated in an earlier response to a question, I'd like a computer that can travel routinely. I do not need a netbook-type laptop. 15" is my current situation, but I've worked with a 17" before I gave it to my brother.

I am open to any suggestions out there and will be most appreciative of any links or helpful advice.

Thanks,

Happy

G

Thanks for the suggestion. I know those are great machines and they are popular around the industry, but do you have any non-Mac suggestions? I should have put this in my info; I'm a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.