exporting datebook and address data from Palm Desktop 4.1.4

December 3, 2004 10:45:59 AM

I would like to export my calendar and contact data from Palm Desktop
4.1.4 to iCal format.

There is an Open Source Java tool palm2ical hosted at SourceForge.net
which is supposed to do this but I tried it and it doesn't work for
Version 4.1.4 (it does apparently work for earlier versions). The
developer of palm2ical says that the datebook.dat and address.dat
files generated by version 4.1.4 appear to be different from the
earlier versions.

From Googling around the newsgroups, I have seen some other
indications that this is true. For example, there is a posting from
someone who said his "DataPilot" app no longer works after upgrading
Palm Desktop to 4.1.4:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=ce540v%2...

In any case, if anyone knows more about this apparent *.dat file
format change in version 4.1.4, I would be interested to know what's
going on.

Also, if anyone can give me a workaround for getting my data out of
Palm Desktop 4.1.4, I would appreciate it. I am interested in using
the data in Thunderbird and Sunbird.

--D Denholm
December 3, 2004 9:43:10 PM

On 3 Dec 2004 07:45:59 -0800, ddenholm@theworld.com (D Denholm) wrote:

>I would like to export my calendar and contact data from Palm Desktop
>4.1.4 to iCal format.

[snip]

>Also, if anyone can give me a workaround for getting my data out of
>Palm Desktop 4.1.4, I would appreciate it. I am interested in using
>the data in Thunderbird and Sunbird.
>
>--D Denholm

Well, I can't speak to the Calendar, but Palm Desktop 4.1.4 already
has exporting capabilities. Just go to your Contacts screen, select
all, then click on the File menu. You can export them in vCard format
or as a CSV file, which I believe can be imported into Thunderbird.

The Calendar also has export capabilities, but I haven't figured out
how to export everything at once. All I've been able to do is export
one event at a time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Larry
baercat 572 at yahoo dot com
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 9:43:11 PM

Thanks, I had seen that it was possible to export the contacts
although not directly to ical format.

It is the calendar data that is the issue. I have several years of
events in the current Palm Desktop calendar and I would like to
extract them.

I would be happy if I could somehow get them out in csv format but
exporting them one event at a time isn't an attractive option ;)

And it puzzles me that Palm appears to have changed the datebook.dat
and address.dat formats without telling anybody else. There are a fair
number of folks who have written 3rd party app's that interface with
those files.

--D Denholm

Larry <baercat572.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<pmc1r01l705otkp8q4clvu9aara4tet7s2@4ax.com>...
> On 3 Dec 2004 07:45:59 -0800, ddenholm@theworld.com (D Denholm) wrote:
>
> >I would like to export my calendar and contact data from Palm Desktop
> >4.1.4 to iCal format.
> >
> [snip]
> >
> >Also, if anyone can give me a workaround for getting my data out of
> >Palm Desktop 4.1.4, I would appreciate it. I am interested in using
> >the data in Thunderbird and Sunbird.
> >
> >--D Denholm
>
> Well, I can't speak to the Calendar, but Palm Desktop 4.1.4 already
> has exporting capabilities. Just go to your Contacts screen, select
> all, then click on the File menu. You can export them in vCard format
> or as a CSV file, which I believe can be imported into Thunderbird.
>
> The Calendar also has export capabilities, but I haven't figured out
> how to export everything at once. All I've been able to do is export
> one event at a time.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Larry
> baercat 572 at yahoo dot com
December 4, 2004 4:35:19 AM

In article <e71eaa43.0412031651.21c82c65@posting.google.com>,
ddenholm@theworld.com (D Denholm) wrote:

> Thanks, I had seen that it was possible to export the contacts
> although not directly to ical format.

Wouldn't you do this with iSync, also from Apple?
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 6:30:33 AM

On 3 Dec 2004 07:45:59 -0800, D Denholm had this to say...

> I would like to export my calendar and contact data from Palm Desktop
> 4.1.4 to iCal format.
>
> There is an Open Source Java tool palm2ical hosted at SourceForge.net
> which is supposed to do this but I tried it and it doesn't work for
> Version 4.1.4 (it does apparently work for earlier versions). The
> developer of palm2ical says that the datebook.dat and address.dat
> files generated by version 4.1.4 appear to be different from the
> earlier versions.
>
> From Googling around the newsgroups, I have seen some other
> indications that this is true. For example, there is a posting from
> someone who said his "DataPilot" app no longer works after upgrading
> Palm Desktop to 4.1.4:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=ce540v%2...
>
> In any case, if anyone knows more about this apparent *.dat file
> format change in version 4.1.4, I would be interested to know what's
> going on.
>
> Also, if anyone can give me a workaround for getting my data out of
> Palm Desktop 4.1.4, I would appreciate it. I am interested in using
> the data in Thunderbird and Sunbird.
>
> --D Denholm

If the data is in the Palm already, just install Palm Desktop on the Mac
and Hotsync. DONE.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson