lee

My file names were all black, suddenly some are appearing blue. Nothing has
changed to my folders are the OS in general, not anything I have done.
Suggestions?

From: "Lee" <mailnmisc@yahoo.com>

| My file names were all black, suddenly some are appearing blue. Nothing has
| changed to my folders are the OS in general, not anything I have done.
| Suggestions?

Blue file names are indicative of OS compressed files and/or folders.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

lee

Thanks for the explanation Dave. Now, how do I make all of them black
again? I did not compress my files on the HD in Windows XP Home Edition.
They somehow changed blue after a year using this computer.

Lee wrote:
> Thanks for the explanation Dave. Now, how do I make all of them black
> again? I did not compress my files on the HD in Windows XP Home Edition.
> They somehow changed blue after a year using this computer.

Most likely, you told Windows to compress unused files.

Anyway, Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > uncheck Show
encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color

Lee,

The Disk cleanup utility may have compressed the files that have not been used for a while. You can
'uncompress' them by the following method:

1) Right click the file/folder in question and select properties.
2) Click on the 'advanced' button
3) Uncheck 'compress contents to save disk space'

Click on OK.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Lee" <mailnmisc@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uaUvaNzuFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the explanation Dave. Now, how do I make all of them black
> again? I did not compress my files on the HD in Windows XP Home Edition.
> They somehow changed blue after a year using this computer.
>
> "Lee" <mailnmisc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My file names were all black, suddenly some are appearing blue. Nothing has
> changed to my folders are the OS in general, not anything I have done.
> Suggestions?

lee

I have the Tweak tool and it worked perfectly. I have used that before but
have not used it for Explorer....thanks a bunch for your help people! :)