More about file color

    From: "Lee" <mailnmisc@yahoo.com>

    | My file names were all black, suddenly some are appearing blue. Nothing has
    | changed to my folders are the OS in general, not anything I have done.
    | Suggestions?

    Blue file names are indicative of OS compressed files and/or folders.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Thanks for the explanation Dave. Now, how do I make all of them black
    again? I did not compress my files on the HD in Windows XP Home Edition.
    They somehow changed blue after a year using this computer.

    Lee wrote:
    > Thanks for the explanation Dave. Now, how do I make all of them black
    > again? I did not compress my files on the HD in Windows XP Home Edition.
    > They somehow changed blue after a year using this computer.

    Most likely, you told Windows to compress unused files.

    Anyway, Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > uncheck Show
    encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color

    Lee,

    The Disk cleanup utility may have compressed the files that have not been used for a while. You can
    'uncompress' them by the following method:

    1) Right click the file/folder in question and select properties.
    2) Click on the 'advanced' button
    3) Uncheck 'compress contents to save disk space'

    Click on OK.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Lee" <mailnmisc@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uaUvaNzuFHA.2880@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks for the explanation Dave. Now, how do I make all of them black
    > again? I did not compress my files on the HD in Windows XP Home Edition.
    > They somehow changed blue after a year using this computer.
    >
    > "Lee" <mailnmisc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My file names were all black, suddenly some are appearing blue. Nothing has
    > changed to my folders are the OS in general, not anything I have done.
    > Suggestions?

    I have the Tweak tool and it worked perfectly. I have used that before but
    have not used it for Explorer....thanks a bunch for your help people! :)

    "Lee" <mailnmisc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    My file names were all black, suddenly some are appearing blue. Nothing has
    changed to my folders are the OS in general, not anything I have done.
    Suggestions?

File Name Microsoft Windows XP