Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Is there anything wrong with hibernation?

Tags:
  • Hibernation
  • Windows XP
September 13, 2005 2:08:07 AM

I'm using WinXP Home SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 1100.

When I'm shutting off my computer, I prefer "Hibernate" to "Turn Off" simply
because it goes down and comes up much faster. I don't like "Stand By",
because it's not a complete power down and things still go bump in the
night. In addition, my LCD screen occasionally does not come back on when
coming out of Stand By.

Would any of you advise against using hibernation? I seldom get a benefit
without paying for it somehow.

More about : wrong hibernation

Anonymous
September 13, 2005 2:08:08 AM

BudV wrote:
> I'm using WinXP Home SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 1100.
>
> When I'm shutting off my computer, I prefer "Hibernate" to "Turn Off"
> simply because it goes down and comes up much faster. I don't like
> "Stand By", because it's not a complete power down and things still
> go bump in the night. In addition, my LCD screen occasionally does
> not come back on when coming out of Stand By.
>
> Would any of you advise against using hibernation? I seldom get a
> benefit without paying for it somehow.

Even at this late stage in the development of the OS and drivers, some
devices on some computers simply will not restart from hybernation. You
will know it if you see it and if it happens there is typically nothing
that can be done about it.