Restore Does Not Restore

Yesterday I downloaded Microsoft AntiSypware Beta. I created a restore point
before installing. When the program installed, it created a restore point. I
ran it and I did not care for the program. It did find two files. I removed
them via the program. Before removing the program asked to create a restore
point. I accepted. I uninstalled the program and went to my restore point -
NO. Program install restore point - NO. Restore point before removing the two
files - NO. I did nothing else on the computer during this time. I find that
restore works about half the time. What is the problem??

JustUs wrote:
> Yesterday I downloaded Microsoft AntiSypware Beta. I created a
> restore point before installing. When the program installed, it
> created a restore point. I ran it and I did not care for the program.
> It did find two files. I removed them via the program. Before
> removing the program asked to create a restore point. I accepted. I
> uninstalled the program and went to my restore point - NO. Program
> install restore point - NO. Restore point before removing the two
> files - NO. I did nothing else on the computer during this time. I
> find that restore works about half the time. What is the problem??

It is unreliable..
The best way to keep it working as well as possible is to periodically turn
it off, turn it on and make a manual restore point.
(Best to do this right before installing something new and/or right after
cleaning up your PC.)

The system restore feature is a new one - first appearing in Windows
ME and then sticking around for Windows XP. It is a useful feature
if you keep it maintained and use it to your advantage. Remember that
the system restore pretty much tells you in the name what it protects
which is 'system' files. Your documents, your pictures, your stuff is
NOT system files - so you should also look into some backup solution.

Whenever you think about it (after doing a once-over on your machine
once a month or so would be optimal) - clear out your System Restore
and create a manual restoration point.

'Why?'

Too many times have I seen the system restore files go corrupt or get
a virus in them, meaning you could not or did not want to restore from
them. By clearing it out periodically you help prevent any corruption
from happening and you make sure you have at least one good "snapshot".
(*This, of course, will erase any previous restore point you have.*)

- Turn off System Restore.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405
- Reboot the Computer.
- Review the first bullet to turn on System Restore
- Make a Manual Restoration Point.
http://snipurl.com/68nx

That covers your system files, but doesn't do anything for the files
that you are REALLY worried about - yours! For that you need to look
into backups. You can either manually copy your important files, folders,
documents, spreadsheets, emails, contacts, pictures, drawings and so on
to an external location (CD/DVD - any disk of some sort, etc) or you can
use the backup tool that comes with Windows XP:

How To Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422

Yes - you still need some sort of external media to store the results
on, but you could schedule the backup to occur when you are not around,
then burn the resultant data onto CD or DVD or something when you are
(while you do other things!)

A lot of people have wondered about how to completely backup their system
so that they would not have to go through the trouble of a reinstall..
I'm going to voice my opinion here and say that it would be worthless to
do for MOST people. Unless you plan on periodically updating the image
backup of your system (remaking it) - then by the time you use it
(something goes wrong) - it will be so outdated as to be more trouble than
performing a full install of the operating system and all applications.

Having said my part against it, you can clone/backup your hard drive
completely using many methods - by far the simplest are using disk cloning
applications:

Symantec/Norton Ghost
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/

Acronis True Image
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

You will get no argument from me on reliability. I have used the one in Iolo
System Mechanic 5 before and it has worked 100% of the time. I have done a
restore with both andd where Windows failed SM5 worked. I just don't always
think of it as it is not as convenient to get to as Restore is.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]
> on, but you could schedule the backup to occur when you are not around,
> then burn the resultant data onto CD or DVD or something when you are
> (while you do other things!)
>
> A lot of people have wondered about how to completely backup their system
> so that they would not have to go through the trouble of a reinstall..
> I'm going to voice my opinion here and say that it would be worthless to
> do for MOST people. Unless you plan on periodically updating the image
> backup of your system (remaking it) - then by the time you use it
> (something goes wrong) - it will be so outdated as to be more trouble than
> performing a full install of the operating system and all applications.
>
> Having said my part against it, you can clone/backup your hard drive
> completely using many methods - by far the simplest are using disk cloning

Try booting into safe mode - that normally allows you to restore.
Lu