Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 Maybe Custom install. AMD 16 Core x2, 192GB RAM. 512GB SSD.

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
November 25, 2012 5:20:15 PM

So, I am now running a major Image Stitching / photoshop / cad lab and I've got to install Windows 7 on many computers (about 30 of them currently).

Specs are:

Dual AMD 16 Core CPU
192GB ECC Ram
512GB SSD (Probably going to be 6 in each pc in raid 5)

I'm thinking for a proper installation of Windows 7 and to get the best speed out of the computers, is there a way of installing Windows 7 with NO page file. Would be nice to turn off Aero and all the fancy stuff so it is just the core operating system and then Photoshop, Microsoft ICE, the Cad programs.

What do people suggest? I am trying to get the most horsepower out of what I have inherited.

Don't suggest Overclocking, this is simply for the process to install Windows 7 and setting it up for the most speed.
What would you disable, enable, how would you do it?

Thank you all.
a b $ Windows 7
November 25, 2012 5:25:06 PM

OS, fastest SSD you can afford at around 256GB
Data, Big fat 7200rpm HDD's in Raid-1

Install everything to SSD's but working data folders, temp, pagefile and anything else that will making repetitive writes over to the HDDS'.
Look at using junctions, especially for Windows Update Software Distribution folder.

Do this as an admin install on one pc, when your happy, make images and clone to the others, then activate licences.

** One day I'll get around to putting a website up with all these tricks ;)  **
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 25, 2012 5:26:50 PM

The hardware said is all that I have to use.

I have only ALL SSD's, and am not able to purchase anything.

How I set it up is up to me.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 25, 2012 5:28:16 PM

What about the page file, with 192GB Ram my page file is going to be about the same?

Does anybody recommend or suggest doing a custom install of windows by turning off options like that before hand???
m
l
November 25, 2012 5:36:48 PM

with 192GB of RAM a page file is a moot point. Your entire OS plus the programs you'll be running unless they ridiculous in size will be able to load themselves entirely into RAM with room to spare. As for turning off Aero and such in all honesty with that much hardware you'd not notice a difference at all. I'm assuming also if you're doing CAD you have either Quadro of FireGL cards in those machines. If so no point in trying to squeeze out literally 0.00000001% you'll gain from turning off Aero.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 25, 2012 6:06:51 PM

You may already know, that you need at least win7 prof. to support 192GB ram and two cpus. Just install it on one ssd whit all the drivers. As said before, there is no need to tweak it. Set the page file to 5GB, that's it. Download and install all the updates after that. Now you can start cloning all the other SSDs from this one even better write an image of the disk to a server. Don't activate windows before that. Enter the key at first startup at any clone instead.
m
l
November 25, 2012 7:08:44 PM

RAID5 is slower at writing than other forms or raid.
Also RAID degrades SSD performance as TRIM doesn't work. I think only the latest Intel shipsets do.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 25, 2012 8:21:31 PM

What would you all say to this?

Install Windows 7 onto 1 SSD then RAID the rest?

m
l
!