Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 slow boot times

Last response: in Windows 7
November 25, 2012 5:54:17 PM

I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to fixing computer problems. I just want to make sure I am correct with what the problem may be. I need some input from fellow computer heads. My neighbors had a problem with Win7 slow startups. Sometimes it would boot up slow and sometimes it would just stay on the blank screen. I went into Safe Mode and got rid of all of the malware and the one virus. That did not solve the problem. So after thorough troubleshooting I decided to re-install windows. Everything was running fine yesterday but now it is taking about 20 minutes for windows to load and after logging into a profile it takes an additional 10-15 minutes. Last night I had went into msconfig to prevent slow startups . I'm assuming there is a problem with the HDD. Any suggestions?
a b $ Windows 7
November 25, 2012 5:58:01 PM

herc76 said:
I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to fixing computer problems. I just want to make sure I am correct with what the problem may be. I need some input from fellow computer heads. My neighbors had a problem with Win7 slow startups. Sometimes it would boot up slow and sometimes it would just stay on the blank screen. I went into Safe Mode and got rid of all of the malware and the one virus. That did not solve the problem. So after thorough troubleshooting I decided to re-install windows. Everything was running fine yesterday but now it is taking about 20 minutes for windows to load and after logging into a profile it takes an additional 10-15 minutes. Last night I had went into msconfig to prevent slow startups . I'm amsumming there is a problem with the HDD. Any suggestions?

I would agree with you on the hard drive. I would suggest testing it. Some computers and laptops have a built-in hard drive tester within the bios that you can run.
m
l
November 25, 2012 6:02:13 PM

Possibly, amongst other options.

What is the specs of this computer?

When you say 'everything ran fine' did the PC boot up in an acceptable time? roughly, what time did it take?

When it does boot up, check the hardware drivers tab....any issues here? e.g. question marks etc?

Try booting into safe mode. How long does this take?

m
l
Related resources
November 25, 2012 7:36:10 PM

mesab66 said:
Possibly, amongst other options.

What is the specs of this computer?

When you say 'everything ran fine' did the PC boot up in an acceptable time? roughly, what time did it take?

When it does boot up, check the hardware drivers tab....any issues here? e.g. question marks etc?

Try booting into safe mode. How long does this take?

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/acer-aspire-5253-bz893/4507...

Last night it booted up between 40 seconds to a minute.

I tried to boot up in safe mode with the same results. It is taking very long for windows to load.
m
l
November 25, 2012 7:56:24 PM

There are a number of things you could check including using Event Viewer to view boot up log info and Procmon to display detailed running process info.

But you should check the health of the disk first e.g. right mouse button on the disk, select Properties, then Tools, then Error-Checking.

Anything seen after running this?
m
l
November 25, 2012 7:56:44 PM

That's a pretty slow pc anyway. It may be a bad hard drive or a hardware conflict. What did you find in device manager? Any bad drivers or conflicts?

Also I'd check for viruses and malware again. I use MSE or AVG free and MalwareBytes. If they visited some of the sites where they got the virus and malware again it could come back fast.

Find out what brand of hard drive it has and run that company's diagnostic software. Also HDTune might help.
m
l
!