Search Companion

Hello, when a freind press on Start--- Search in his Windows XP, or right
click on any folder to search that folder,all we get is the animated
character! no search options.
I mean when you search, it asks first what kind of files you are looking
for, or all files, and name of the file.....
none of this appear.
all I see is the animated character.
please advise urgently
thank you in advance.
regards
3 answers Last reply
More about search companion

    Type in Start, Run:

    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.dll

    If this does not help, follow this repair method:

    1. Log on as Administrator or equivalent.
    2. Click Start, Run, type %systemroot%\inf, and then click OK.
    3. Locate the Srchasst.inf file
    4. Right-click the Srchasst.inf file, and then click Install.

    This reinstalls the files that Search Companion uses. When you're prompted
    for the system files, insert your Windows XP CD, or
    point to Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder (if you've applied SP1 or SP2
    separately) which-ever is the recent version.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "M G" <M G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, when a freind press on Start--- Search in his Windows XP, or right
    > click on any folder to search that folder,all we get is the animated
    > character! no search options.
    > I mean when you search, it asks first what kind of files you are looking
    > for, or all files, and name of the file.....
    > none of this appear.
    > all I see is the animated character.
    > please advise urgently
    > thank you in advance.
    > regards

    Hi, he is using windows XP SP2, and I tried the both ways you said and it did
    not work.
    the first way it say the file is succeeded.. but the problem still the same.
    and in the second way, it did ask for the CD , and and when the file
    transfer is over it does not give any messge. but the problem still the same,
    even after I restart the computer.
    I dont want to format the pc now!

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Type in Start, Run:
    >
    > regsvr32 jscript.dll
    > regsvr32 %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.dll
    >
    > If this does not help, follow this repair method:
    >
    > 1. Log on as Administrator or equivalent.
    > 2. Click Start, Run, type %systemroot%\inf, and then click OK.
    > 3. Locate the Srchasst.inf file
    > 4. Right-click the Srchasst.inf file, and then click Install.
    >
    > This reinstalls the files that Search Companion uses. When you're prompted
    > for the system files, insert your Windows XP CD, or
    > point to Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder (if you've applied SP1 or SP2
    > separately) which-ever is the recent version.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "M G" <M G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello, when a freind press on Start--- Search in his Windows XP, or right
    > > click on any folder to search that folder,all we get is the animated
    > > character! no search options.
    > > I mean when you search, it asks first what kind of files you are looking
    > > for, or all files, and name of the file.....
    > > none of this appear.
    > > all I see is the animated character.
    > > please advise urgently
    > > thank you in advance.
    > > regards

    If the problem happened as of recent, try a System Restore rollback. Or, you
    may switch to Windows Classic search (if you like).

    --

    > Hi, he is using windows XP SP2, and I tried the both ways you said and it
    > did
    > not work.
    > the first way it say the file is succeeded.. but the problem still the
    > same.
    > and in the second way, it did ask for the CD , and and when the file
    > transfer is over it does not give any messge. but the problem still the
    > same,
    > even after I restart the computer.
    > I dont want to format the pc now!
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Type in Start, Run:
    >>
    >> regsvr32 jscript.dll
    >> regsvr32 %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.dll
    >>
    >> If this does not help, follow this repair method:
    >>
    >> 1. Log on as Administrator or equivalent.
    >> 2. Click Start, Run, type %systemroot%\inf, and then click OK.
    >> 3. Locate the Srchasst.inf file
    >> 4. Right-click the Srchasst.inf file, and then click Install.
    >>
    >> This reinstalls the files that Search Companion uses. When you're
    >> prompted
    >> for the system files, insert your Windows XP CD, or
    >> point to Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder (if you've applied SP1 or
    >> SP2
    >> separately) which-ever is the recent version.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "M G" <M G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello, when a freind press on Start--- Search in his Windows XP, or
    >> > right
    >> > click on any folder to search that folder,all we get is the animated
    >> > character! no search options.
    >> > I mean when you search, it asks first what kind of files you are
    >> > looking
    >> > for, or all files, and name of the file.....
    >> > none of this appear.
    >> > all I see is the animated character.
    >> > please advise urgently
    >> > thank you in advance.