How to transfer XP HD to new Win 7 machine

I have programs on an old XP PC and would like to transfer the content of that drive to a second (new and faster) drive that is available on a new Win 7 Professional PC. These programs are costly to reinstall and would rather just use the old HD with the programs on it. Is this doable?
4 answers Last reply
More about transfer machine
  1. Every program writes files to the windows folder and data to the registry. There is no way to transfer that from your XP drive to the win7 installation. Beside that: why is it costly to reinstall the programs? You don't have the install media?
  2. Sorry but you will need the original programs to re-install on the new PC. Data is fine to move, but programs work differently as described above.
  3. I am looking to run the programs within a virtualized XP OS using the old hard drive. As for the old programs - some are no longer made and updates to them are very expensive.
  4. gdgreen said:
    I am looking to run the programs within a virtualized XP OS using the old hard drive. As for the old programs - some are no longer made and updates to them are very expensive.

Hi :)

You CANNOT run the programs from the old drive without REINSTALLING FROM ORIGINAL DISCS...

All the best Brett :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration HD Windows XP Windows 7