Sign in with
Your question

How to transfer XP HD to new Win 7 machine

Last response: in Windows 7
November 25, 2012 7:00:30 PM

I have programs on an old XP PC and would like to transfer the content of that drive to a second (new and faster) drive that is available on a new Win 7 Professional PC. These programs are costly to reinstall and would rather just use the old HD with the programs on it. Is this doable?

More about : transfer win machine

a b $ Windows 7
November 25, 2012 7:06:32 PM

Every program writes files to the windows folder and data to the registry. There is no way to transfer that from your XP drive to the win7 installation. Beside that: why is it costly to reinstall the programs? You don't have the install media?
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
November 25, 2012 7:07:56 PM

Sorry but you will need the original programs to re-install on the new PC. Data is fine to move, but programs work differently as described above.
m
l
Related resources
November 25, 2012 7:09:26 PM

I am looking to run the programs within a virtualized XP OS using the old hard drive. As for the old programs - some are no longer made and updates to them are very expensive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 25, 2012 7:22:22 PM

gdgreen said:
I am looking to run the programs within a virtualized XP OS using the old hard drive. As for the old programs - some are no longer made and updates to them are very expensive.

Hi :) 

You CANNOT run the programs from the old drive without REINSTALLING FROM ORIGINAL DISCS...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
!