Sign in with
Your question

Distant third monitor advice

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 12, 2011 9:08:18 PM

Hi, I have a Quadro 4000 graphic card with two Display Port, and one DVI ports. I currently have two monitors connected (one to the DVI port, and one to the DP (using a DVI to DP adapter).

I wish to connect a third monitor (not to be used at the same time as the other two), which will be located in a different room in my house than the computer and the other monitors. The length of the cable for this third monitor will be 12 feet.

Here are my issues... as clearly as I can articulate them:

1) The third monitor I am looking for would be 24" or 27", with 1920x1080 resolution.

2) monitors with DP ports seem very rare and expensive. If I wait a couple of months, will this change?

3) I would prefer not to use a signal booster... can I use a DVI cable over 12', at the resolution specified?

4) I think that the Nvidia control panel will allow me to switch from the two monitors in my computer room, to the monitor in my shop. Does anyone have a comment on this?

Thanks in advance!

More about : distant monitor advice

a b U Graphics card
a c 105 C Monitor
March 12, 2011 9:50:06 PM

1) the size/resolution would be determined by what you are going to use it for.. which is?

2) instead of looking for a dp port monitor why not go with a hdmi? you can directly convert from dvi->hdmi via a single cable (no box). my system hs one such cable.

3) hdmi can run 50ft max without a booster. not sure about other types (search google)

4) If the 3rd monitor is not the same resolution as your primary monitor (the one with the taskbar) then its going to be a nightmare. if it is the same resolution then you should be fine.
March 12, 2011 10:22:01 PM

Thanks ssddx.

2) Thanks for the DVI-> hdmi recommendation. Monitors with HDMI connectors seem much more common than monitors with DP connectors.

4) my main monitor is 1920x1200 resolution... these seem to have become very expensive, but I suppose if I need to match this resolution, I will. is it easy to explain why the resolutions must match?

Again, thanks!
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 105 C Monitor
March 14, 2011 2:33:44 PM

the reason you would want an exact match is so your display settings don't auto-adjust every time you swap monitors. when it does this all your icons, widgets, etc will move all around (not to mention your wallpaper getting squished).

technically you can use any monitor resolution you want as long as you spend the minute or two to "tidy" things up on your desktop when you swap (or just ignore it)

March 24, 2011 1:51:21 AM

Thanks saddx and cloudy2010! With your help, I was successful in setting up a system with two monitors in one room, and a third monitor in my basement; this third monitor can be activated with a simple keyboard shortcut. For the benefit of anyone who might like to do what I did, I will give some details of my experience:

My graphics card, a quadro 4000, has three ports (2x DP, and 1x DVI), and the ability to drive two monitors at a time. I am using windows 7.

As recommended, my "third" monitor matches the resolution of my primary desktop monitor. Using the Nvidia Nview desktop manager, I created two "profiles", one of which activates the two monitors in my computer room, and the other of which causes the content of my main monitor to be duplicated on my basement monitor. When I press the assigned keys, the profiles switch, and the second monitor in my computer room turns off, and the monitor in my basement turns on.

I learned from someone at my local computer shop that Display Port was the standard that was likely to successfully traverse the greatest distance unboosted. I don't know if this is true, but my third monitor successfully gets its signal over a 24 foot display port cable.

Cloudy2010's post was too late to help with my purchase, as I had already ordered a 24" 1920x1200 HP monitor for about $300. Probably not the fanciest monitor in terms of response time, viewing angle, brightness, color, etc., but so far it meets my needs nicely.

I used a wireless USB keyboard and mouse in my basement. The little receiver thingy is hanging by an extension cable, through a hole in my floor.

Again, thanks.
a b U Graphics card
a c 105 C Monitor
March 24, 2011 10:27:55 AM

for future reference, i believe HDMI has an unboosted maximum of 50ft
!