Do dell set admin passwords ?

Howdy

I got me self a 8300 p4 ht etc etc. do dell set a administrator
password or did i have to choose one when i first set it up if i did then i
have forgotten it is there any way to find out the password ?
7 answers Last reply
More about dell admin passwords

    Dell don't set any passwords you must have done it accidently if yo call
    Dell and give them your TAG number and proof of ownership they will sort
    yyou out

    "news-text.blueyonder.co.uk" <the_weirdo@@@blueyonder@NO-SPAM.co.uk> wrote
    in message news:pv5vc.1608$gc4.15022148@news-text.cableinet.net...
    > Howdy
    >
    > I got me self a 8300 p4 ht etc etc. do dell set a
    administrator
    > password or did i have to choose one when i first set it up if i did then
    > have forgotten it is there any way to find out the password ?

    Holy mackerel!

    The two of you must have attended the same English class! <g>

    Larry

    Denzelpup wrote:

    > Dell don't set any passwords you must have done it accidently if yo call
    > Dell and give them your TAG number and proof of ownership they will sort
    > yyou out
    >
    > "news-text.blueyonder.co.uk" <the_weirdo@@@blueyonder@NO-SPAM.co.uk> wrote
    > in message news:pv5vc.1608$gc4.15022148@news-text.cableinet.net...
    > > Howdy
    > >
    > > I got me self a 8300 p4 ht etc etc. do dell set a
    > administrator
    > > password or did i have to choose one when i first set it up if i did then
    > > have forgotten it is there any way to find out the password ?

    OOOPs thought this NG was alt.sys.pc-clone.dell not alt.sys.english. classes
    :)
    "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > Holy mackerel!
    >
    > The two of you must have attended the same English class! <g>
    >
    > Larry
    >
    > Denzelpup wrote:
    > >
    > > Dell don't set any passwords you must have done it accidently if yo call
    > > Dell and give them your TAG number and proof of ownership they will sort
    > > yyou out
    > >
    > > "news-text.blueyonder.co.uk" <the_weirdo@@@blueyonder@NO-SPAM.co.uk>
    wrote
    > > in message news:pv5vc.1608$gc4.15022148@news-text.cableinet.net...
    > > > Howdy
    > > >
    > > > I got me self a 8300 p4 ht etc etc. do dell set a
    > > administrator
    > > > password or did i have to choose one when i first set it up if i did
    then
    > > > have forgotten it is there any way to find out the password ?

    <G>

    Denzelpup wrote:

    > OOOPs thought this NG was alt.sys.pc-clone.dell not alt.sys.english. classes
    > :)
    > "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > > Holy mackerel!
    > >
    > > The two of you must have attended the same English class! <g>
    > >
    > > Larry
    > >
    > > Denzelpup wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Dell don't set any passwords you must have done it accidently if yo call
    > > > Dell and give them your TAG number and proof of ownership they will sort
    > > > yyou out
    > > >
    > > > "news-text.blueyonder.co.uk" <the_weirdo@@@blueyonder@NO-SPAM.co.uk>
    > wrote
    > > > in message news:pv5vc.1608$gc4.15022148@news-text.cableinet.net...

    > > > administrator
    > then

    "news-text.blueyonder.co.uk"
    <the_weirdo@@@blueyonder@NO-SPAM.co.uk> wrote:

    > I got me self a 8300 p4 ht etc etc.

    > do dell set a administrator password

    No.

    >or did i have to choose one when i first set it up if i did then i have forgotten it

    Apparently.

    >is there any way to find out the password ?

    Look it up on the master list of user/log-in names and passwords
    that you have kept for everything you've ever set up with a
    user/log-in name and password, and kept in a safe place on a
    floppy disk, with a printout close at hand so that you can record
    new user/log-in names and passwords when you sign-up for
    something that requires them. [Then updating the file on the
    floppy with the new info, and printing out the updated list. The
    file is on a floppy and not permanently on your computer so that
    there is no chance of someone, locally or online, hacking in to
    your computer and getting your user names and passwords.]

    Oh, you haven't done that. Well, after you've solved your
    current problem from the suggestions already made, I would
    suggest you create one immediately, and start using it.

    That is, if you're in the frame of mind to take advice from an
    old fogey who "has been there, done that, got the ball cap,
    t-shirt, coffee mug, etc."
    --
    OJ III
    [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

    Possibly something here may help:

    Jupiter Jones
    Check the following link for some great problem solving newsgroups.
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    Ogden Johnson III wrote:

    > "news-text.blueyonder.co.uk"
    > <the_weirdo@@@blueyonder@NO-SPAM.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> I got me self a 8300 p4 ht etc etc.
    >
    >>do dell set a administrator password
    >
    > No.
    >
    >>or did i have to choose one when i first set it up if i did then i have forgotten it
    >
    > Apparently.
    >
    >>is there any way to find out the password ?
    >
    > Look it up on the master list of user/log-in names and passwords
    > that you have kept for everything you've ever set up with a
    > user/log-in name and password, and kept in a safe place on a
    > floppy disk, with a printout close at hand so that you can record
    > new user/log-in names and passwords when you sign-up for
    > something that requires them. [Then updating the file on the
    > floppy with the new info, and printing out the updated list. The
    > file is on a floppy and not permanently on your computer so that
    > there is no chance of someone, locally or online, hacking in to
    > your computer and getting your user names and passwords.]

    <in my best Edna Krabapple voice> HA! I keep all that stuff in a loose
    leaf notebook on my desk and have done so for years (I'm also a retired
    programmer, so I've paid my dues). No floppy copy. The notebook dates
    back to my first Dell, 05/2002. I soon had too many ID's & passwords to
    keep track of (plus a whole extra slew for work) and it was obvious that
    a text file with all this info was a hacker's pot of gold, thus, the
    hand written notebook. I recommend it highly.

    I do have a spreadsheet with product keys in it, however.

Dell Computers