DVD like CD burning?

I have burned lots of pictures to a Cd by just right clicking on the file and
say send to D:..I can add more whenever I want as my collection grows
(grandbabies). I also have many camcorder files that were sent to me that I
would like to burn to my DVD burner and watch then on the TV. Can I do this?
I think I would just right click on the movie file, like I do the pictures,
and send to my DVD burner drive. If I do this, can I add more as time goes
on? How would I control the sequence of how the DVD played..I would like to
play from birth to each age of the child.
8 answers Last reply
More about burning

    Believe ULead videostudio can take A/V files, convert them to appropriate
    form and make a DVD from them that you can play on your DVD player for your
    TV as well.

    Not sure about adding stuff to it after its burned. You can save the
    session on videostudio, and add more it later, then burn that. This of
    course is subject to the space limitation on a DVD media. You need a ton of
    hard drive space to make all this happen, and a relatively fast PC with
    adequate RAM.

    A slow PC could probably do it with an older OS like ME/98SE with less
    operating system overhead. RAM is less important but still critical as is
    hard drive space.

    Got my videostudio free with a firewire card made by SIIG. Its version 7.
    Version 9 is current.

    If the file format sent to use is in mpeg1 format, it cannot be converted to
    a DVD movie. The resolution is not adequate. Should be mpeg2 or AVI,
    preferrably AVI for best results in the conversion.

    Videostudio can create a menu that will show at the beginning of the DVD.
    It will show the first slide of each video session on that menu to select
    for playing. Or play the whole DVD with a ">" selection.

    Not all DVD players are equal. Some burned DVDs won't play because the
    media that they're burned on can't be read by some players. The high
    reflective, silver/chrome colors are usually the best for most. Have found
    some light lavender burn side DVD media that work okay on my DVD player,
    made by Fujifilm.

    If the files are mpeg1, you can make VCDs from them. Again, the media is
    also a concern when playing on the DVD player. May not work, you may have
    to try other media. Some older DVD players will not play VCDs at all, rare
    though.
    "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have burned lots of pictures to a Cd by just right clicking on the file
    and
    > say send to D:..I can add more whenever I want as my collection grows
    > (grandbabies). I also have many camcorder files that were sent to me that
    > would like to burn to my DVD burner and watch then on the TV. Can I do
    this?
    > I think I would just right click on the movie file, like I do the
    pictures,
    > and send to my DVD burner drive. If I do this, can I add more as time
    goes
    > on? How would I control the sequence of how the DVD played..I would like
    > play from birth to each age of the child.

    thanks!! looks like I have work ahead of me

    "Lil' Dave" wrote:

    > Believe ULead videostudio can take A/V files, convert them to appropriate
    > form and make a DVD from them that you can play on your DVD player for your
    > TV as well.
    >
    > Not sure about adding stuff to it after its burned. You can save the
    > session on videostudio, and add more it later, then burn that. This of
    > course is subject to the space limitation on a DVD media. You need a ton of
    > hard drive space to make all this happen, and a relatively fast PC with
    > adequate RAM.
    >
    > A slow PC could probably do it with an older OS like ME/98SE with less
    > operating system overhead. RAM is less important but still critical as is
    > hard drive space.
    >
    > Got my videostudio free with a firewire card made by SIIG. Its version 7.
    > Version 9 is current.
    >
    > If the file format sent to use is in mpeg1 format, it cannot be converted to
    > a DVD movie. The resolution is not adequate. Should be mpeg2 or AVI,
    > preferrably AVI for best results in the conversion.
    >
    > Videostudio can create a menu that will show at the beginning of the DVD.
    > It will show the first slide of each video session on that menu to select
    > for playing. Or play the whole DVD with a ">" selection.
    >
    > Not all DVD players are equal. Some burned DVDs won't play because the
    > media that they're burned on can't be read by some players. The high
    > reflective, silver/chrome colors are usually the best for most. Have found
    > some light lavender burn side DVD media that work okay on my DVD player,
    > made by Fujifilm.
    >
    > If the files are mpeg1, you can make VCDs from them. Again, the media is
    > also a concern when playing on the DVD player. May not work, you may have
    > to try other media. Some older DVD players will not play VCDs at all, rare
    > though.
    > "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have burned lots of pictures to a Cd by just right clicking on the file
    > and
    > > say send to D:..I can add more whenever I want as my collection grows
    > > (grandbabies). I also have many camcorder files that were sent to me that
    > > would like to burn to my DVD burner and watch then on the TV. Can I do
    > this?
    > > I think I would just right click on the movie file, like I do the
    > pictures,
    > > and send to my DVD burner drive. If I do this, can I add more as time
    > goes
    > > on? How would I control the sequence of how the DVD played..I would like
    > > play from birth to each age of the child.

    XP doesn't do DVDs. You need to buy a program (although you probably find a DVD burning program came with your computer or burner). RTFM

    "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75B904F1-6BFE-4D77-A6DB-4432080AACA8@microsoft.com...
    >I have burned lots of pictures to a Cd by just right clicking on the file and
    > say send to D:..I can add more whenever I want as my collection grows
    > (grandbabies). I also have many camcorder files that were sent to me that I
    > would like to burn to my DVD burner and watch then on the TV. Can I do this?
    > I think I would just right click on the movie file, like I do the pictures,
    > and send to my DVD burner drive. If I do this, can I add more as time goes
    > on? How would I control the sequence of how the DVD played..I would like to
    > play from birth to each age of the child.

    If your system has the .Net framework you can use CDBurnerXP Pro, it's
    free and has a similar interface to Roxio & Nero.
    Website and download links here:
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    XP doesn't do DVDs. You need to buy a program (although you probably find a
    DVD burning program came with your computer or burner). RTFM

    "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have burned lots of pictures to a Cd by just right clicking on the file
    >and
    > say send to D:..I can add more whenever I want as my collection grows
    > (grandbabies). I also have many camcorder files that were sent to me that
    > would like to burn to my DVD burner and watch then on the TV. Can I do
    > this?
    > I think I would just right click on the movie file, like I do the
    > pictures,
    > and send to my DVD burner drive. If I do this, can I add more as time
    > goes
    > on? How would I control the sequence of how the DVD played..I would like
    > play from birth to each age of the child.

    Will the Nero program bury DVD's

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    > If your system has the .Net framework you can use CDBurnerXP Pro, it's
    > free and has a similar interface to Roxio & Nero.
    > Website and download links here:
    > http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > XP doesn't do DVDs. You need to buy a program (although you probably find a
    > DVD burning program came with your computer or burner). RTFM

    > "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have burned lots of pictures to a Cd by just right clicking on the file
    > >and
    > > say send to D:..I can add more whenever I want as my collection grows
    > > (grandbabies). I also have many camcorder files that were sent to me that
    > > would like to burn to my DVD burner and watch then on the TV. Can I do
    > > this?
    > > I think I would just right click on the movie file, like I do the
    > > pictures,
    > > and send to my DVD burner drive. If I do this, can I add more as time
    > > goes
    > > on? How would I control the sequence of how the DVD played..I would like
    > > play from birth to each age of the child.

    Yes

    > Will the Nero program bury DVD's
    >
    > "R. McCarty" wrote:
    >
    >> If your system has the .Net framework you can use CDBurnerXP Pro, it's
    >> free and has a similar interface to Roxio & Nero.
    >> Website and download links here:
    >> http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >> XP doesn't do DVDs. You need to buy a program (although you probably find
    >> DVD burning program came with your computer or burner). RTFM
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    >> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have burned lots of pictures to a Cd by just right clicking on the
    >> >file
    >> >and
    >> > say send to D:..I can add more whenever I want as my collection grows
    >> > (grandbabies). I also have many camcorder files that were sent to me
    >> > that
    >> > would like to burn to my DVD burner and watch then on the TV. Can I do
    >> > this?
    >> > I think I would just right click on the movie file, like I do the
    >> > pictures,
    >> > and send to my DVD burner drive. If I do this, can I add more as time
    >> > goes
    >> > on? How would I control the sequence of how the DVD played..I would
    >> > like
    >> > play from birth to each age of the child.

    thank you all---

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    > Yes
    >
    > "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Will the Nero program bury DVD's
    > >
    > > "R. McCarty" wrote:
    > >
    > >> If your system has the .Net framework you can use CDBurnerXP Pro, it's
    > >> free and has a similar interface to Roxio & Nero.
    > >> Website and download links here:
    > >> http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php
    > >>
    > >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > >> XP doesn't do DVDs. You need to buy a program (although you probably find
    > >> DVD burning program came with your computer or burner). RTFM
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    > >> =================================================
    > >> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Yes, if the entire set of files are already prepared for burning. Its a
    drag and drop thing.
    No, if not prepared for burning. It won't play.

    "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Yes
    >
    > "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Will the Nero program bury DVD's
    > >
    > > "R. McCarty" wrote:
    > >
    > >> If your system has the .Net framework you can use CDBurnerXP Pro, it's
    > >> free and has a similar interface to Roxio & Nero.
    > >> Website and download links here:
    > >> http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php
    > >>
    > >> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > >> XP doesn't do DVDs. You need to buy a program (although you probably
    find
    > >> DVD burning program came with your computer or burner). RTFM
    > >>
    > >> --

    > >> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    > >> "Old Bob" <OldBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Burner CD-Rom Windows XP