Sign in with
Your question

Template for Monitor Advice

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a c 78 C Monitor
March 14, 2011 5:22:43 PM

I've seen a number of monitor advice requests that didn't provide much information initially, so I think it's time to have a template for monitor advice. I cribbed a lot from theAnimal's template "*How To Ask For New Build Advice*".

Create a New Topic for your build with a descriptive title, such as "$400 gaming monitor" or "Need Advice on Budget LCD", not just "Help" or "Need Monitor".

In order to make things easy, copy and paste the following template into your post and edit the italicized examples to suit your needs:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

Budget Range: (e.g.: 200-300) Before / After Rebates

Monitor Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies, editing photos/videos)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing)

Country of Origin: (e.g.: Grand Fenwick)

Brand Preferences: (e.g.: I've had bad experiences with Gateway, I want a Samsung)

Physical Size (Diagonal): (e.g. 23 inch, 27-32 inch)

Resolution(s) You'll Consider: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200, 2560x1440, 2560x1600)

Computers and Other Devices To Attach: (please specify how many computers you want to attach, and what video outputs are available from each, e.g. 1 desktop (DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI), 1 laptop (D-Sub only), PlayStation 3 (HDMI, Component, Composite), XBox 360 (HDMI, Component, Composite))

Panel Type(s) Desired: (e.g.: TN, PVA, IPS)

LED Backlight: Required / Desired / Indifferent / Avoided (note: before indicating a desire for an LED backlight, you should know that low-end "white" LED backlights can give a blue tinge to the monitor, and thereby look worse than CCFL backlights; if you have other reasons for wanting one in spite of this, you can provide them here)

Speakers: Required / Desired / Indifferent / Avoided

Wall-Mount: Required / Desired / Indifferent / Avoided

Stand Functions: (e.g.: height, tilt, swivel, pivot)

Additional Comments: (e.g.: I want the best image quality, I want low input lag, I want easy input switching)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please also list models you're already looking at for comparison.

More about : template monitor advice

a c 111 C Monitor
March 14, 2011 5:58:58 PM

perhaps this should be added to the original "how to ask for advice" sticky

seconded.
a c 78 C Monitor
April 5, 2011 12:22:20 AM

This had fallen off the first page. Is somebody willing to sticky this in the "Flat Panel Monitors" subforum? (or at least link it in a FAQ sticky analagous to what's available over in the "New Build" subforum?)
Related resources
April 5, 2011 10:42:40 AM

nice!
a c 78 C Monitor
April 26, 2011 6:23:29 PM

This hasn't been stickied, nor has stickying been explicitly denied. Bumping again.
!