Intermittent mouse click response

September 13, 2005 10:49:03 AM

About every 10 to 20 mouse clicks the click is not recognized by the system.
This can occur for desktop clicks or in any application. The computer vendor
suggests that I reinstall the operating system (XP) to correct the problem.
Since this is a major undertaking , I am looking for a simpler solution.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:05:26 PM

Trying a different mouse would be much less traumatic and time consuming,
not to mention a more probably source of the problem.
Heirloom, old and optical mice are
nice

"Skip" <Skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> About every 10 to 20 mouse clicks the click is not recognized by the
> system.
> This can occur for desktop clicks or in any application. The computer
> vendor
> suggests that I reinstall the operating system (XP) to correct the
> problem.
> Since this is a major undertaking , I am looking for a simpler solution.
September 13, 2005 6:49:02 PM

Heirloom:

Thank you for your suggestion to try a different mouse. Unfortunately I have
tried this in the past with no success. The computer vendor is sending me a
new mouse and I will try it again. I am not optimistic about the outcome
however. Thanks again and if anybody out there has encountered this problem,
please don't hesitate to respond

Skip

"Heirloom" wrote:

> Trying a different mouse would be much less traumatic and time consuming,
> not to mention a more probably source of the problem.
> Heirloom, old and optical mice are
> nice
>
> "Skip" <Skip@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > About every 10 to 20 mouse clicks the click is not recognized by the
> > system.
> > This can occur for desktop clicks or in any application. The computer
> > vendor
> > suggests that I reinstall the operating system (XP) to correct the
> > problem.
> > Since this is a major undertaking , I am looking for a simpler solution.

September 13, 2005 9:32:05 PM

=?Utf-8?B?U2tpcA==?= wrote:

> About every 10 to 20 mouse clicks the click is not recognized by the system.
> This can occur for desktop clicks or in any application. The computer vendor
> suggests that I reinstall the operating system (XP) to correct the problem.
> Since this is a major undertaking , I am looking for a simpler solution.

Spyware on the system can cause exactly that.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
September 13, 2005 9:32:06 PM

Plato:

Thanks for the observation about spyware. I have recently run a spyware
check on my system, coming up with no spyware.

Skip

"Plato" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?U2tpcA==?= wrote:
> >
> > About every 10 to 20 mouse clicks the click is not recognized by the system.
> > This can occur for desktop clicks or in any application. The computer vendor
> > suggests that I reinstall the operating system (XP) to correct the problem.
> > Since this is a major undertaking , I am looking for a simpler solution.
>
> Spyware on the system can cause exactly that.
>

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

September 13, 2005 9:35:29 PM

Skip wrote:

> Plato:
>
> Thanks for the observation about spyware. I have recently run a
> spyware check on my system, coming up with no spyware.
>
> Skip
>
> "Plato" wrote:
>
>> =?Utf-8?B?U2tpcA==?= wrote:
>> >
>> > About every 10 to 20 mouse clicks the click is not recognized by
>> > the system. This can occur for desktop clicks or in any
>> > application. The computer vendor suggests that I reinstall the
>> > operating system (XP) to correct the problem. Since this is a major
>> > undertaking , I am looking for a simpler solution.
>>
>> Spyware on the system can cause exactly that.

Reading through your posts, I don't see where you said what kind of
mouse this is - wireless, usb, ps/2. If it is a usb mouse, I'd try a
ps/2 one and vice versa. If it is a ps/2 mouse, the port on the
motherboard may be hinky (tech term ;-) ).

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Folks, i've been having the same problem, but it begun out of nowhere about 3 days ago. I run windows 7, I tried changing the usb port, the mouse and it doesn't work. What does help is doing a ctrl+alt+del, starting task manager and returning to windows, then, I can click on a single program and it begins to work (the mouse clicks) with it. Typing alt+tab also helps sometimes. My xbox controller and keyboard are functioning normally. I recently updated my kaspersky to the latest version, but I tried deactivating it but I had no luck with the mouse. I'm thinking about returning to a previous kaspersky version, first, then, if that doesn't help, reinstalling the windows. Ah, another thing that might help: i have windows vista on the same PC, same HD and, when I logged in it to see if the problem persisted, gess what, yes, the same mouse problem. That made me think of a hardware problem, but on all usb ports is odd. Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot!!
April 12, 2010 5:45:14 PM

I too have the same problem (running Windows 7). I have tried 3 difference mouses (mice?) both wireless and wired. My symtoms are; the pointer moves correctly on the screen but it takes a dozen or so mouse clicks before a response. Though this problem is not consistent it happens 90% of the time. It is extremely frustrating. I have performed various spyware, virus and malware checks, all indicate things are fine. A driver check indicates it is up to date and fine.

Please. Does anybody have a solution?

- Dave
April 13, 2010 8:31:27 PM

These symptoms have been tied to Symantec Antivirus in the past (in Vista for sure). Try uninstalling your antivirus software long enough to test for this possibility.

Cheers!
April 13, 2010 8:34:31 PM

P.S. Don't just disable or turn off your antivirus. Uninstall it completely. If this does not solve the problem you can reinstall. If the problem is solved then you should consult your Antivirus providers website for support, or try another antivirus.
!